Author Topic: Gummy smile, Numbness, PARALYSIS of Chin/Lip muscles after IVRO & Lefort I  (Read 4750 times)

ajordan23

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:10:38 AM by ajordan23 »

terry947

So the paralysis happened AFTER shaving the excess bone?

sean89

I'm really sorry to hear of all that's happened to you. Do you have any before pictures to use a reference point?

I'm not sure what to suggest because I know nothing about issues liked this because, like you said, they are extremely rare. My lower lip is slightly less mobile and sensitive since my surgery but it is really negligible but it took a few weeks to get to this point from being significantly numb and is obviously nothing compareed to what's happened to you which is why I don't have anything to suggest. Maybe corticosteroids?

PloskoPlus

I empathise with you, but I would remove your and your surgeon's name from your posts in case you wish to take legal action later.

Why did he do an IVRO and not a BSSO?  It's hardly done these days - too unstable and unpredictable.  Why did he drop your maxilla so much?!!  You had perfect gum show before.

PloskoPlus

Hi PloskoPlus,

Sorry, I accidentally attached the document with my orthodontists name.

I had no clue that he was going to do an IVRO prior to the surgery. I only found out 4 weeks after the surgery when I saw the Pano in his office. At that point he explained to me that he does IVRO for setbacks because it has a low risk of damage to inferior alveolar nerve. Nonetheless, my inferior alveolar nerve is completely damaged on my right side and I am completely numb in my lip/chin/gums/teeth.

While it's true that a BSSO can damage the nerve (many people have some sort of permanent lower-lip numbness), it's a much more stable procedure overall since the mandible is immediate fixated with plates and screws.  With the IVRO there is no fixation at all except for the wiring.

terry947

dude the lips look good. I dont notice anything off about them

PloskoPlus

Hi Terry947,

Thank you for your reply. The lips have definitely improved and I can now show all my teeth if I do a full smile. However, when I talk or try to pucker my lips or make a kissy face, you can notice there is something off.

Also, if you compare my photos I have provided, you can see my chin looks a little off and that is because the right chin muscles are weak still.

Have you recovered any sensation?

sean89

Hi PloskoPlus,

I have not recovered any sensation in my right lower lip/chin/teeth/gums. I also have pain sensation in my lip/chin and the area behind my 2nd molar (where the ramus is). The pain is severe and I take neurontin for it.

You should sue.

mike888miller

Re: Gummy smile, Numbness, PARALYSIS of Chin/Lip muscles after IVRO & Lefort I
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 07:00:40 AM »
are you ok with the relative placing of the lower jaw? in my view it is set back too much, if you do go for a revision i would try to get them aligned. but this may be my personal taste, curious to hear what others think.