Author Topic: What exams do I need to take with me in order to visit a maxilofacial doctor?  (Read 9371 times)

fedfan

I'm interested in seeing a maxilofacial surgeon in about a month concerning genio and maxillary impaction, and I want to be prepared and take all the exams I need before as to not waste time. So which ones do I need, and can I just go to the hospital and ask to take them or do I need to see the doctor before and get an order from him? Thank you.

Joy

• Private
You can go see him without a referal.  Most surgeons take their own X-rays/measurements/models anyway.  How do,you know that you need the surgery?  Are you currently receiving orthodontic treatment?  If so, it would be helpful to bring your records/xrays from that doctor.

Modigliani

• Private
Your face?  ;D

fedfan

You can go see him without a referal.  Most surgeons take their own X-rays/measurements/models anyway.  How do,you know that you need the surgery?  Are you currently receiving orthodontic treatment?  If so, it would be helpful to bring your records/xrays from that doctor.

I have had an appointment with another maxilofacial surgeon before and he ordered me to get some exams but I lost it. I thought there was like standards exams they ask for pacients according to the surgeries they're undergoing, in my case genio/maxillary impaction. So I wanted to have them ready for when I go visit other doctors.

Joy

• Private
I have had an appointment with another maxilofacial surgeon before and he ordered me to get some exams but I lost it. I thought there was like standards exams they ask for pacients according to the surgeries they're undergoing, in my case genio/maxillary impaction. So I wanted to have them ready for when I go visit other doctors.

There is no exam that I can think of that you would need for a genioplasty.  The surgeon will most likely just be taking measurements and photos for that.  For the maxillary impaction, he will probably need to see models of your bite, photos, and some X-rays.   These can be taken at any orthodontists office.  But, they might do all of this for you while you are at your consultation.  Why don't you call the office and ask them what they need from you?

fedfan

There is no exam that I can think of that you would need for a genioplasty.  The surgeon will most likely just be taking measurements and photos for that.  For the maxillary impaction, he will probably need to see models of your bite, photos, and some X-rays.   These can be taken at any orthodontists office.  But, they might do all of this for you while you are at your consultation.  Why don't you call the office and ask them what they need from you?

Because I want to take the x-rays  at a different clinic where it's much cheaper than if I had them done on the same surgeon's clinic.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:14:00 PM by fedfan »

pekay

fedfan you will most likely need:

* a current mould of your teeth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_impression
* an occlusal x ray - http://www.oralpathology.vcu.edu/images/courses/radiology/xr5.jpeg
* a panoramic dental x ray - http://www.alanyadentalcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/image0012.jpg
* lateral cephalogram - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UCq3pNep6tk/Twr72pMtrLI/AAAAAAAABlQ/Y8WJx2v9R50/s1600/LATERAL+CEPHALOGRAM.jpg

a panoramic dental x ray and lateral cephalogram will usually suffice, but recently I read in a local medical journal (not peer reviewed, so the entire piece might have been biased) that NOT using a CT Scan/Cone-beam imaging along with 3D software surgical planning is irresponsible since it's basically a requirement to get the best possible outcome (as far as movements) but since the surgeon that wrote it is only one of a handful who uses this technology here I can't really say how reliable the entire journal is.

now if you're only interested in a sliding genioplasty I think a lateral cephalogram will be enough (not entirely sure on this)
Chopsticks > Spoons

fedfan

Thank you for your reply pekay, it's really helpful. I'll definitely get at least a lateral cephalogram, maybe a frontal one if it isn't too expensive.

I have a question, is a CT Scan better than a cephalogram? What's the difference between the two?

pekay

Thank you for your reply pekay, it's really helpful. I'll definitely get at least a lateral cephalogram, maybe a frontal one if it isn't too expensive.

I have a question, is a CT Scan better than a cephalogram? What's the difference between the two?

from what I understand yes it's much better as far as providing accurate and detailed information to your surgeon

this is what a CT Scan looks like (post op too, notice all the plates and screws on the maxilla, mandible and chin)

Chopsticks > Spoons

trigeminalneuralgia

Ct scan increases cancer risk fyi

pekay

I've heard/read this as well, like I said earlier the whole piece seemed more like a self-promoting tool rather than an actual journal
Chopsticks > Spoons

fedfan

I've heard/read this as well, like I said earlier the whole piece seemed more like a self-promoting tool rather than an actual journal

Well no one can deny it looks awesome, you can see every little detail of your facial bone structure. But I think for me a cephalogram will do.

Heavyweight

The risk is negligible though. You'd probably have to take hundreds of CT scans to increase your risk of getting cancer by just 1 percent.