Author Topic: New To This..(Class I, Openbite, Crowding, Crossbite.  (Read 6232 times)

SpringMorningSun

New To This..(Class I, Openbite, Crowding, Crossbite.
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
Just landed braces today, im 25 years old, and have put off the journey of surgery for nearly 5 years. I spent the last 5 years, simultaneously  ignoring and  acknowledging i had a serious issue to deal with..in that time i traveled many places, seeking my niche somewhere..From Alaska to the East Coast. All the while being on the edge about fixing my "Jaw" issue..well the time has come to finally have my say through action. I am back where i started, in Northern CA. Imagine that? I am very happy to have the ability to work with a excellent orthodontist and the hard earned money to pay for this out of pocket, that meaning the braces. I had braces in high school, however the issue came after HS. I always thought i looked pretty decent for the problem i currently have, but my open bite CONSISTENTLY bugged me, as it would put a hole in my confidence sometimes. Plus, talking was a little bit of a task at times..Reasons for surgery? Be able to breathe better, more formulated speech, straight teeth, no further problems down the line, eat more efficiently, and not have the worry in my mind about the gap between my top and bottom teeth. Everyday it crosses my mind, which now is quite acceptable as the journey has begun! I am finally doing something about it while i still have insurance..im looking at a 2 year process, maybe a little less..and surgery time in the winter of 2015. Exciting stuff, i am very pleased. I look forward to talking with others, and getting to know about the others who have had, or are going through..even planning the journey of "Jaw Surgery"! I could talk about this issue for hours, and the effects that it has on self esteem and awkward social situations, among many others..I grew a big beard to sort of hide my prominent jaw..they plan on moving this part of me back a bit. I meet the surgeon in the coming weeks, or days. That is still being figured out at this time..as i literally, got my impressions, x rays, and file for the doctor to see for approval. Oh and braces in just 2 days! There was a cancellation this morning at the office and  jumped on that opportunity as fast as i could! Good to meet everyone!
Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.
_Carl Jung_

Nataliepryor

• Private
Re: New To This..(Class I, Openbite, Crowding, Crossbite.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 03:02:27 AM »
How are your braces going?

Are you having SARPE also?

Least your starting early... Taken me until mid 30's to get cracking lol

JawKid7

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
it's not an easy journey but as long as you stay motivated your good to go
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

SpringMorningSun

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
How are your braces going?

Are you having SARPE also?

Least your starting early... Taken me until mid 30's to get cracking lol
I was just curious about that the other day, i was watching videos on the SARPE surgery...i emailed my orthodontist. But maybe i can get half of my answer here, does the SARPE surgery get initiated with the Ortho or the surgeon?? Braces are going good...im used to them already, the discomfort is fading and i am biting into things now so its definitely nice. I had braces in the beginning of High School, so the memory is certainly back. Yeah im kinda in between early and late...i should have started this years ago, but honestly im quite happy with the travels i lead myself on in the past. How far are you along in your process???
Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.
_Carl Jung_

SpringMorningSun

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »
it's not an easy journey but as long as you stay motivated your good to go
I appreciate your words, getting started so far has been the most difficult...going back and forth in my mind over and over for years was torture in itself. I just tried to ignore the issue, and tried to go to every other bottom in life to figure what it truly was that was bothering me. Im still in the midst of discovery on that, but paths to self realization and improvement are always a hard, but rewarding journey. This should help with some of that i imagine.
_Carl Jung_

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 03:42:23 AM »
I had SARPE surgery in Sept 2014 and still wearing the expander (approx 6 months in total, for stability post surgery). I have had braces for a few months (after I had finished expanding).  I found the braces to hurt more than expanding each day!!

Like you .... braces previously (4 years) not ideal but seems like not all orthodontists were that great at their jobs back then  ::)

My SARPE was suggested by my orthodontist in my initial consult and concurred by my surgeon.  The orthodontist booked it in for me.  There are a few steps prior to the procedure, spacers, moulds and the orthodontist fit the actual expander, prior to surgery.  Hope to have this removed by the end of March.

Has your orthodontist given you a suggested plan for treatment or are you waiting to see the surgeon for this?

SpringMorningSun

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »
I had SARPE surgery in Sept 2014 and still wearing the expander (approx 6 months in total, for stability post surgery). I have had braces for a few months (after I had finished expanding).  I found the braces to hurt more than expanding each day!!

Like you .... braces previously (4 years) not ideal but seems like not all orthodontists were that great at their jobs back then  ::)

My SARPE was suggested by my orthodontist in my initial consult and concurred by my surgeon.  The orthodontist booked it in for me.  There are a few steps prior to the procedure, spacers, moulds and the orthodontist fit the actual expander, prior to surgery.  Hope to have this removed by the end of March.

Has your orthodontist given you a suggested plan for treatment or are you waiting to see the surgeon for this?

Oh wow, yeah the SARPE surgery sounds like a pretty easy process so far by what i have read, of course compared to the double jaw surgery...oh yeah i definitely agree on your orthodontic comment..I remember i got my braces off early...due to a move i had to make out of state when i was just finishing up ninth grade. So of course without the realization of the actual problem..it went unnoticed until i started hearing bits and pieces about what possibilities i might have to undertake through dentists and other orthodontists. My orthodontist said nothing about SARPE, they previously attended to me about 5 years ago..and nothing then either. However i left state again before any initial treatment began...but they said everything is the same. Im anxiously awaiting to meet my Surgeon, i know then i will find out what i need to know, in terms of what you said involving my treatment plan. Very exciting..i have to see a Physician first, and show him my file from the Ortho, and move forward from there..all in due time.  Oh, did you have a palate expander when you had braces in the past? I had one for 3 months during my first time with braces.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:43:30 PM by SpringMorningSun »
_Carl Jung_

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 03:47:17 AM »
Fair enough, it's a bit of a process hey.

I had no expansion as a child, I definately needed it.  I had 7mm expansion total.

Look forward to hearing your plan.

SpringMorningSun

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
Fair enough, it's a bit of a process hey.

I had no expansion as a child, I definately needed it.  I had 7mm expansion total.

Look forward to hearing your plan.

I met with the surgeon today, and everything went very smooth...i will definitely be having upper and lower jaw surgery. No SARPE..the doctor wants this to happen in November, or possibly December..but either way im pretty satisfied with that time frame. Nothing too special or unique about my case..just a cut to move my upper jaw forward and lower jaw back a bit. He did mention a chin enhancement, but said its entirely up to you and i personally never had a problem with my chin so i will probably pass that up..and still the braces are doing there part so as time goes by i will pay attention to improvement as he said the crowding of my bottom teeth will come forward a bit and adding subtle effect. Exciting...
_Carl Jung_

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »
How do they manage the crowding and Crossbite? Will you have expansion during surgery then?

Sometimes a Genioplasty is required to balance the face, after the jaw movements have been done. My surgeon will play by ear in surgery, if required it will be done.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:22:22 AM by Nataliepryor »

SpringMorningSun

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
How do they manage the crowding and Crossbite? Will you have expansion during surgery then?

Sometimes a Genioplasty is required to balance the face, after the jaw movements have been done. My surgeon will play by ear in surgery, if required it will be done.

I believe the crowding will be fixed with the braces, my crowding is not all that bad, definitely a good question i will have to clarify with him. But i imagine it would be done during the surgery. Yeah im kinda on the same boat about the chin enhancement, once braces actually get my teeth straight again we can have better judgement of what to do..
_Carl Jung_

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »
That sounds right... does depend how much crowding and expansion required. Your a lucky duck if it's not much, saves an additional surgery  ;D

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:49:51 AM by Nataliepryor »