Author Topic: BSSO surgery...very scared and confused, please help!  (Read 6262 times)

k2kassie

BSSO surgery...very scared and confused, please help!
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »
hello everyone...I hope I am posting in the right spot. this is my first post on this site.

I am 23 years old and starting my Invisalign treatment tomorrow. I have two options - 1) just aligning my teeth with Invisalign or 2) aligning my teeth with Invisalign followed by some months in braces and a BSSO surgery during that time period. I have an overbite that sometimes causes me to clench and gives me a "tired" jaw. I am very interested in the results of the surgery...but scared out of my mind to have it!

my oral surgeon said I would be a very easy case and heal very well because of my age...he said if he were me, he would have the surgery.

in my orthondontist's notes he says:
TMJ WNL
TMD signs (-)
class II (weak) right first molar

(I also had braces when I was younger and the orthodontist at the time tired to camouflage my bite)

I would like some input on what you would recommend for me based on my pictures and if you can give me any insight on the surgery. do you think my bite is bad enough for surgery based on the photos? (I forgot to ask how many mm it is). is this surgery worth it in the long run?

another pic:
http://imgur.com/Mhg8XCl

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dreampath

Re: BSSO surgery...very scared and confused, please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 03:06:08 AM »
I think you should go with the surgery option if you already had orthodontic treatment to hide your jaw discrepancy when you were young.

Did you have teeth removed as part of the initial treatment ?

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:12:30 AM »
I believe most people say it's worth it.

An overbite which is 4-6mm discrepancy or more, jaw surgery is usually recommended.  Teeth that mesh properly together, improve your overall health.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
Did you make a decision? Lets get an update up in here! :p

Tamatoline

• Tamatoline
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:53:26 AM »
Reading data from here it's always Hehe.

k2kassie

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
I think you should go with the surgery option if you already had orthodontic treatment to hide your jaw discrepancy when you were young.

Did you have teeth removed as part of the initial treatment ?

I did have teeth removed when I was younger as part of the initial treatment. I also had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled.

k2kassie

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
Did you make a decision? Lets get an update up in here! :p

update:

found out my overjet is actually 6-7mm from the start of my orthodontic treatment. in tray 11 of 16 of Invisalign. met with the surgeon, they sent out my information to insurance, got denied (not sure why, I meet all of the criteria), appealed with two letters from the surgeon himself and my orthodontist. waiting to hear back from insurance again...I actually just called the surgery coordinator last week and am hoping she calls me back this week with an update. if insurance approves me, the surgery should happen around the beginning of next year. my orthodontist wants to implant orthodontic anchors and keep me in Invisalign for the surgery, using the anchors to keep my jaw banded vs. wearing traditional braces with surgical hooks. I'll post again with an update when I hear something new.  :-\

Serra

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
Medically, it would probably help but you're so good looking already. It really doesn't show you have a bite problem and I'd be afraid of changing my appearance if I were you. Your chin is pretty strong, especially for your bite.

k2kassie

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 03:18:04 AM »
update #2:

approved by insurance for surgery! surgical molds will be taken next month and we will have an idea of a surgery date. are there any other questions you think I should be asking either the orthodontist or the surgeon? I don't want to forget anything...