Author Topic: Before and After X-Rays  (Read 9590 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Before and After X-Rays
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 12:49:08 AM »

I realize this is an old thread, but this is great information.  I've been searching everywhere to try to understand how ccw/cw rotation is achieved.  I didn't understand the relationship between maxillary impaction and ccw/cw rotation, and this makes perfect sense now.  It sounds like in a long face situation with a steep occlusal plane, a maxillary impaction with less shortening in the back of the maxilla would be appropriate to achieve both shortening of the midface along with flattening of the occlusal plane (ccw when looking at right side profile).

I've also been searching everywhere regarding ideal occlusal plane angle.  Where did you learn 5-6 degrees?
Wolford invented CCW rotation.  According to him 8±4 is normal.

ForeverDet

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »
There is definitely a typical range (wolford and arnett/gunson give exact figures that are similar) which most natural class I's fall into and it's a good guide for jaw surgery in divergent cases that necessitate occlusal alteration.

However, there are people with a steep occlusal plane with good, balanced facial aesthetics and bite. Same with some people flat-ish occulal planes. It's not absolute. Just wanted to mention that.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
There is definitely a typical range (wolford and arnett/gunson give exact figures that are similar) which most natural class I's fall into and it's a good guide for jaw surgery in divergent cases that necessitate occlusal alteration.

However, there are people with a steep occlusal plane with good, balanced facial aesthetics and bite. Same with some people flat-ish occulal planes. It's not absolute. Just wanted to mention that.
I'd really like to see the steep examples.