Author Topic: I need help..  (Read 10740 times)

Milanr80

I need help..
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
First of all, I don't know if this is the right forum, so just delete this or move this post if I posted it at a wrong place.

Well, I'm 17, will turn 18 in 6 months exactly. I have really f'd up forehead, it so steep, my nose is huge, there's something wrong with the place between my mouth and nose, it's just like the forehead, but in the opposite direction. And then my jaw is also screwed up. I don't know what to get first, a nosejob? A jaw surgery? Or am I just hopeless? I have been so down these last months because of this and Everytime I look in the mirror or at me reflection outside, my self esteem just drops so bad... I did have braces for about two years to fix an overbite. I have posted some photos alongside, so please help me, is there any way I can fix this? If yes, then how?

[attachment deleted by admin]

jesterofmalice

Re: I need help..
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
Just to get the ball rolling (as i'm a newbie at all this and don't know much about it and am still waiting for more input on my own issues)
I think that both jaws are recessed? Need to be brought forward?
If that is the case though, I wonder why your ortho who done your braces didn't mention it or talk about surgery at all to you?

Nose probably looks bigger than it is due to the position of the jaws. My nose it really really wide and fat, and it also droops down a bit. Porbably partly because my top jaw is 'pulling' it down die to it's position and 'tilt'. When I smile, all you can see is my nose! It takes over!! lol

I take it you have no issues with sleep apnea or anything. What country are you in? You'd be paying for any surgery out of your own pocket??

Milanr80

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »
Just to get the ball rolling (as i'm a newbie at all this and don't know much about it and am still waiting for more input on my own issues)
I think that both jaws are recessed? Need to be brought forward?
If that is the case though, I wonder why your ortho who done your braces didn't mention it or talk about surgery at all to you?

Nose probably looks bigger than it is due to the position of the jaws. My nose it really really wide and fat, and it also droops down a bit. Porbably partly because my top jaw is 'pulling' it down die to it's position and 'tilt'. When I smile, all you can see is my nose! It takes over!! lol

I take it you have no issues with sleep apnea or anything. What country are you in? You'd be paying for any surgery out of your own pocket??

No, he never mentioned it. I live in Norway and well Ill get some support from my parents and I'll cover some myself. If the ortho says that I need it for health reasons then I can get it for free, but I dont think thats how it is in my case. Ill make sure to get an appointment with him and to talk to him about, but what exactly would I say to him? And yeah, I think the nose looks enormous because of the jaw and once that gets fixed the nose will look more normal, if not then I would just have to do something with the nose bridge.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »
I don't know, but it's similar to me. I have an overbite, and I think my jaws are a little recessed.
However, the ortho I saw said that as it's not a 'health concern' I'd likely be unable to get it done on the National Health Service,and so would have to go private and pay for it all myself.
I still plan to see another ortho and see if he can at least refer me to a surgeon where I can maybe try to convince him.
I think generally, unless it is causing  you sleep problems or physical pain or stopping you being able to eat etc, then you have to go private and pay for it yourself.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I want something done because I don't like the way I look! It's constant mental pain as opposed to physical pain!

Tom2

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
I was similar.

Both jaws advanced with chin implant.       You might opt for a nose job afterwards.    The forehead will be fine.

The movement of the upper jaw also has made dramatic improvements with the really bad sleep apnea that had developed.

Do it while you're young.   

Tom2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
I don't know, but it's similar to me. I have an overbite, and I think my jaws are a little recessed.
However, the ortho I saw said that as it's not a 'health concern' I'd likely be unable to get it done on the National Health Service,and so would have to go private and pay for it all myself.
I still plan to see another ortho and see if he can at least refer me to a surgeon where I can maybe try to convince him.
I think generally, unless it is causing  you sleep problems or physical pain or stopping you being able to eat etc, then you have to go private and pay for it yourself.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I want something done because I don't like the way I look! It's constant mental pain as opposed to physical pain!

That mental pain is no joke.

Also, that recessed upper jaw might wind you up with bad sleep apnea like it did me as I got older....

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 06:57:57 PM »
Don't get a nose job, and also you look fine. Handsome young lad. Your forehead is fine. Your chin is a little weak. If you have a normal size airway then you're and your face can be balanced out with a sliding genioplasty (not too expensive). If your airway IS too small (the maxillofacial surgeon can send you for the proper x-rays), then you may want to opt for jaw surgery most like of both jaws. Do not get a chin implant regardless and your nose looks good. And stop worrying about this, you are not unattractive at all. And don't listen to the newbies they don't know s**t.

terry947

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:38:21 PM »
your forehead "looks" recessed because your lower jaw is recessed. Were comparing one to the other. If you fixed your lower jaw, then it wouldn't look as bad. My bro has a slanted forehead but a strong lower jaw and it looks good.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:36 PM »
Since you've already had braces, does that mean that your teeth would already be in a position ready for jaw surgery?
I've heard this before, but I don't understand how (assuming it is true)
Wouldn't that only make sense if both jaws were moved forward the same amount, but not if only one jaw had to be moved, or both, but not by the same amount etc?

I ask because I sometimes think about getting braces in the hope that they might 'lift' my face a little bit. Some people call it the 'brace lift' effect. (Of ten spoke of about Damon braces)
And people said to me that if I do this and still am not happy, my teeth will be just about ready for jaw surgery, anyway.
I do't get it

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 02:50:57 AM »
If you have double jaw surgery, your nose will literally shrink to nothing.  I had upper jaw advancement only and my nose looks half the size in profile compared to before.

terry947

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:13 AM »
Good to know cuz I have a big ass Eastern European nose lol

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »
Good to know cuz I have a big ass Eastern European nose lol

The downside is the nose gets wider from the front.  I fear it's unavoidable despite the surgeon's best intentions (alar cinch, which was probably the only thing that hurt for weeks after surgery when tweaked).  The flesh has to go somewhere when you move a huge block of bone forward.

But usually people with f**ked up jaws have f**ked up noses anyway.  And it's easier to make a nose look acceptable once the jaws are no longer recessed than otherwise.

BTW, big noses is not an East/West thing.  It's more of a North/South thing.

Milanr80

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
If you have double jaw surgery, your nose will literally shrink to nothing.  I had upper jaw advancement only and my nose looks half the size in profile compared to before.

Where did you get yours?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
Where did you get yours?

I live in Australia. 

Milanr80

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
Here you guys have both sides. Right now I'm just struggling more than ever with my side view. Some of you have suggested that I should get a double jaw surgery, but won't moving my upper jaw forward make it look weirder? Its not like it's a bone in between my nose and mouth that makes the are above the lip look recessed. I can push the scin with my finger and that area looks straight. That sounds really tricky and I don't know if you even got that.

Please help me guys, and is there any age limit to doing a procedure like that and will I be able to do physical activities again seing as I am currently doing kickboxing, will I ever be able to do it again?

[attachment deleted by admin]