Author Topic: Everyone here should consider MYOFUNCTIONAL THERAPY  (Read 12865 times)

mirepjanic15

Everyone here should consider MYOFUNCTIONAL THERAPY
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
I had a visit with a very good myofunctional therapist.

The benefits you may achieve from tongue repositioning are immense.

I'm talking of health benefits...if you're past the age of 13/14 the aesthetic benefits of this therapy will be 0.

But it is key for anyone here to go to a good myofunctional therapist and restore a good tongue posture and function.

What is your take on this?

needadvancement

Re: Everyone here should consider MYOFUNCTIONAL THERAPY
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »
Well, good advice. I think that if you have good airways now, correct oral posture will probably prevent breathing/sleeping problems in the future.

But when I was a kid I kept the tongue against my incisors as well which is a bit of a disaster, I believe that is what caused my messed up teeth positions(narrow arches, overerupted incisors & canines etc.) and it's known as tongue thrusting.

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Also check out this article backed up with sources. It talks about nose breathing benefits vs mouth breathing.

http://www.breathing.com/articles/nose-breathing.htm

babyface99

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »
the bold part is what makes this thing instantly disinteresting for most of us. However, there is Mike Mew ideology crew, who claim that face can be changed this way also in adult.
i mean he has proven non surgical palate expansion in adults is possible with the right technique and he has recently started offering this http://www.orthotropics.co.uk/face-pulling-orthotropics/ idk how much results would one see but in one of his lectures he talks about a girl he improved (with pictures) from the age of 14 (pubertal growth is done for the most part as a girl at this point) and how a dr.Mitani  in japan was getting results in adults using 18 hour periods of face pulling with a device (different than the s**t over at breakingthematrix). Im skeptical like anybody else but im willing to give this a shot if not just for the palatal expansion but also because apparently when a piece of plastic was sutured to the roof of the mouth of ADULT monkeys in a published experiment the maxilla dropped and receded at the same race at growing monkeys.

terry947

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »
Facial changes CAN happen in adults but the changes wont be as big of a difference in adults and the changes will take a long time. MYO therapy is so important if you're getting jaw surgery. If you don't fix your myofunctional disorder, there's a bigger chance of relapse. No studies to prove this, just common sense.

About palatal expansion ,here a  link of dental professional talking about expansion in adults: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Slow-expansion-in-adults-does-4289021.S.113996449

babyface99

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:12:49 AM »
My professionals don't realize that tongue thrusting can't always be fixed by behavioral therapy. It's a natural response to sleep apnea. Parafunctional in other words and should diseappear with jaw surgery.

aristidine

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:15:51 AM »
What about when someone has a very narrow lower "palate". Don't know if that's the proper name for it. Is there the chance to expand that?

mirepjanic15

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
My professionals don't realize that tongue thrusting can't always be fixed by behavioral therapy. It's a natural response to sleep apnea. Parafunctional in other words and should diseappear with jaw surgery.

this is utter bulls**t. please do not spread this false message.

terry947

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »
@molestrip. I know people who have recessed upper and lower jaws with zero bimaxillary protrusion.

baldguy83

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 06:31:27 AM »
Does proper tongue posture also affect the chance of relapse after surgery?

baldguy83

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
Yeah, I've been practicing nose breathing and keeping my tongue stuck to the palate for that exact reason.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:08:23 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCNqbvOALZI

This is so painful to see. Had I known I would not have lost 4 bicuspids due to orthodontic treatment. What is irreversible now is that the lower arch has been made smaller, and to expand that is now not possible (it is technically but through a very invasive surgery that would damage the teeth and gums beyond repair) and since the lower is small, the upper, even if expanded would not fit. I swear these orthos should be shot.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 04:05:26 PM »
What is the invasive surgery ? What about sagittal expansion of the upper, just moving the front teeth out,, like in my case if my front 6 lined up with each other, there would be a lot of space behind, and do BSSO on lower?

well breaking the lower jaw, and placing an expander between your bottom two teeth --your chin by the way is completely severed (beneath the skin) you probably lose feeling as well as kill the roots of several of the bottom teeth. It can be done. But trust me, I wouldn't recommend it.

terry947

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
@ jawbone, people might not agree with me, but i believe its also possible to expand the lower jaw naturally. Problem is, i'll take 3-5 years, easily. The human body is always adapting to it's environment, i dont see why the body wouldnt create new bone to help expand the lower jaw. But being realistic, you probably wont get crazy movements.