Author Topic: My Kaiser Oakland Nightmare With Dr. Felice O'Ryan  (Read 18843 times)

LyraM45

Re: My Kaiser Oakland Nightmare With Dr. Felice O'Ryan
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »
I started this journey with no TMJ issues.  When I came out of the first surgery so torqued, I definitely had some issues.  I think it's normal immediately post op to hear some clicking or crunching though, so don't fret if that is what you're feeling.  Living with my jaws so torqued for 2 years def hurt things a bit, and my right TMJ saw the most movement for correction in revision, so that disc has not been happy so far the first few months of recovery. For the first time in my life, I got full slips. And once they started, they kept on going until I slept and got full rest for the joint.  Then it would be totally fine.  Now, 3 months post op, I haven't had a slip or anything wonky happen in the last 3 weeks now and it feels more solid now that muscles are getting stronger and the inflammation in the area is continuing to go down as recovery progresses. 

Pre op I had no TMJ issues.  One of the kickers with this surgery is it can either improve or worsen your TMJ problems.  Just have to roll the dice on it.

LyraM45

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »
My last update to this thread.  I just hit 6 months post op and got debanded yesterday.  It's really surreal to be in this position now, finally at the finish line from this nightmare.  Unfortunately the nightmare is not over. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow to talk about extraction and implant plans for my 4 upper front teeth that saw the severe to extreme root resorption my first orthodontist stuck me with.  So, lots of work to do on the restorative side still, but the active ortho/jaw work is finally coming to a close after 3.5 years, two rounds of braces, the first botched surgery, and the revision surgery.  My team is really happy. I don't even think they were going to be able to patch me up this well, but they have.  I am incredibly fortunate to have found amazing doctors to help me out of the bad place my first team left me in.

I'll be updating my website with final records and stuff when I get them.  I've made a final thoughts and treatment comparison summary page:  http://www.confessionsofametalmouth.com/beforeafter-treatments-comparison-and-final-thoughts.html

** Edit to add:  Found out at my appointment that not only am I losing the upper 4 front teeth, but now my lower incisors are on the table to go as well.  So, I could be losing 7 permanent front teeth thanks to all the damage done to me in my first round of treatment.  Please people, do the research when choosing your trusted treaters.  Know the red flags.  I wish I had!

Good luck to everybody going through this.  May the odds forever be in your favor that you have doctors like my revision doctors and NOTHING like my original team.  I really wish I could go back and get a do over of my first surgical experience, but I can't.  Only thing I can do is help people avoid it in theirs. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:46:42 PM by LyraM45 »

LyraM45

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 05:29:06 AM »
Thanks-- my revision team really did do a great job patching me up given what they were presented with when I walked through their doors!  Unfortunately the teeth have to go as far as I know/understand.  All 3 of my doctors have looked extensively at this, and I am pretty sure they presented to their study groups and got opinions there too.  They had their suspicions even on regular films, but it was all just solidified after getting full mouth cbct done last week and looking at cross sections of these teeth.  The roots look a little better on regular film because there is more root left on the front of the tooth, where the back has very little to nothing.  Not just that, but the nail in the coffin is that I've lost the bone on the back too, and this is what they are trying to avoid. I need that bone to support implants, so this inflammatory process going on is not going to stop now that it's at this point.  I'll continue to see root and bone resorption until the teeth are out, so the longer I sit here, the more bone I will lose and risk losing the bone I need to support the implants and stuff. 

It's a super unfortunate situation.  My surgeon (who's been doing this a very long time) said he never sees resorption like this.  A little resorption or even cases that go past a little is pretty common, especially for what I've been through, but what I've got going is to an extreme level.  I'm pretty devastated, and I think they are just as upset for me.  :-\

Attached a PA from a few months ago to show you exactly what we're talking about.  This tooth, even on the front where my roots are better, has almost no root left in the bone.

[attachment deleted by admin]