Author Topic: Upper jaw surgery in 5 days. Scared.  (Read 5100 times)

ejmc76

Upper jaw surgery in 5 days. Scared.
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:11:11 AM »
I am scheduled for upper jaw surgery to correct for an underbite caused by an underdeveloped upper jaw. I had been having issues with my bite forever, but didn't realize that it was anything other than an unfortunate situation that was an inconvenience. As I got older though, I started to notice that I was wearing down my teeth a lot and started asking questions. Next thing I knew I was having a consultation with a surgeon who explained what was wrong and what would happen if it wasn't corrected, as well as all the benefits of getting it done. I was floored. All the breathing issues I'd had forever, such as being barely able to breathe through my noise, and waking up in the middle of the night because I'd stopped breathing could be fixed. I would stop biting my tongue with my molars, and I'd be able to properly chew. I had braces as a kid, and had been told that when I got older I would likely need surgery, but it never happened and I never really gave it a second thought. I assumed it was a purely cosmetic thing and was in no way worth it. I wish I had been properly informed about what it was for way back then, rather than going my entire adult life with these issues that supposedly will now be resolved. I am 38 years old now. I had to get braces on first, which I did in September of 2014. It was a difficult decision to make as a 37 year old husband and father with a full time job that required me to talk to people all day. I almost cried when they got put on. I hate them so much! Having braces has been a serious hardship that has caused me to be extremely self conscious and uncomfortable talking to people. However, I seldom bite my tongue anymore, so that's a huge positive.

So now, after nine months of braces, I am scheduled for my surgery on June 5, and I am afraid. I was put under only once before, and it was o only a few months ago to remove my top teeth. It went well, but I'm still afraid. I'm scared I might die and never be able to say goodbye to my two little girls and my wife. I'm afraid of the recovery. I'm afraid of complications. I'm afraid that I will come out looking awful. I'm afraid of everything. I'm not religious, but I pray to God that everything goes okay and that I haven't made a horrible mistake.

I will take some pics and post them tomorrow (it's 3:10am right now).

JawKid7

Re: Upper jaw surgery in 5 days. Scared.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 02:18:59 AM »
"Face your fears,right behind those fears...The life you always wanted to live"
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:25:48 AM »
Hi ejmc76, I'm having surgery the 3rd and I'm scared too, but you should also remember that you are going to be under the care of anaesthetists whose sole job is to monitor you throughout the procedure and make sure that nothing goes wrong! Good luck on the procedure and try to relax!

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »
You are going to be okay and glad you had the surgery :) I was so scared before my surgery too! But everything will be ok :)

miyi

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
I hope the surgery went well for you..remember that the results outweigh the fears of not having the surgery done. It is normal to have all those fears you mentioned but it is a drastic change but one day you will look back and not regret it. Hope all is well with you.

Kingray

• Kingray
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:54:03 AM »
Is another site with information for