Author Topic: 10 months later I regret having surgery  (Read 16502 times)

Tom2

Re: 10 months later I regret having surgery
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »
Very true Plosko.

That's why we have each other!

When I come to Australia, we'll have a beer together.

aj08229

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »
This stuff is not so bad.  More like Chinese water torture.  Drip, drip, drip, and then I snapped last week, because it's been going on for so long.  I actually have feeling on my lip everywhere.  It just feels stiff and rubberry on the right side.  I keep rolling the right side of my lip over my teeth, which triggers this semi-burning stiff numb feeling.  This stiff burning feeling resonates into my teeth a lot and even into the tip of my nose and roof of my mouth a bit. The roof of my mouth also has a funny feeling - like I burned it the day before... a bit dry.   The stiffness seems to be abating.... slowly.  It's just annoying me.

Perhaps because I had only single jaw surgery and the recovery was so easy, I just have this normality elsewhere which makes this really frustrating. If only surgeons set lower expectations - LF1 nerve problems are hardly ever mentioned.

Ferraro's max fac text book says it takes 12-18 months for things to return back to normal post-LF1.  Incidentally, I suddenly started having electric sparks in the left corner of my lip again - and that's my good side!

we're in the same boat ..having the same feelings as you .and i am post op 2 years , any improvement with the stiffness? inbox me

Rico

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »
yeah   I'm going to have surgery in order to reduce parasthesia risking more damage. This is heavy
I know how it is. and I know about the chances ...extremely low
However I have parasthesia on the 1/3 of the face including upper lip. The lips are 1/3 of the problem in my case

but when a man cannot live with such symptoms then he tries to do something with this. 50% it will better 50% it will be worse

that is a gamble.

It's too early in medicine to undergo such surgeries for minor aesthetic problems. It isn't worth it. Perhaps in next 50 - 100 years

PS All of you who had surgeries. Did you ask your surgeon about statitics for nerve damage ?  what experience has your surgeon ?
Mine told me it's a gamble. Some people has problem after surgery, some not. He do it in the samy way for all patients, but outcome is not the same

Serra

• Private
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
I had Botox in my chin a month ago and maybe a week or 2 afterwards, my tingling in my lip has significantly diminished so much so that I don't notice it. It may be a coincidence but something has made a big change, and the Botox is the most likely cause.

patski

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 01:43:13 AM »
Hi PloskoPlus,

I am very new in here but I was wondering did you use vitamin B12 (Methycobal 500 mg) for helping nerve regenerating? Oral Surgeons in Asia prescribed it for every patient. But of course some got feeling back very soon and unfortunately some not. It is still depending on each person.

I just never heard anybody mention about this vitamin so I thought I would just try.

I just had double jaw surgery + genioplasty myself almost 3 months ago and very unhappy with the result. The surgeon moved my upper jaw forward too much so I am now looking like a chimp. Same problem as yours midface is way too full and it makes my face looks even bigger. Now considering another surgery to correct it but it is still scary. I just look in a mirror and saw somebody i don't recognize and that is really killing me.

Good luck and I hope you get better soon!

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
A local surgeon told me 3 years for palate to regain sensation.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 12:19:16 AM »
A local surgeon told me 3 years for palate to regain sensation.
Palate was fine almost immediately.

Rico

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 06:01:56 AM »
my surgery has gone succesful only in 50%...

completely numbness - i had hope to have minimal feeling after nerve decompression - stretching due to bone repositioning
my eye seems now to be a bit sunken - probably need correction in few months.

it sucks. If the eye was look 100% normal , i would be more satisfied having only hope for nerve regeneration
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:02:24 PM by Rico :) »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
my surgery has gone succesful only in 50%...

completely numbness - i had hoper to have minimal feeling after nerve decompression - stretching due to bone repositioning
my eye seems now to be a bit sunken - probably needed correction in few months.

it sucks. If the eye was look 100% normal , i would be more satisfied having only hope for nerve regeneration
Just wait till the paraesthesia kicks in. My hell seems permanent. How I regret this!

Rico

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
I already had slight parasthesia  - this is why I had nerve decompression

If you do not see other solutions and you are annoyed to the point of agony, you have last option
try this:

Etiofixine.

read this:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0120473http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0120473

buy here on your own risk.  Try to find opinions if we can trust them.
http://rupharma.com/products/stresam

or if you have friend in France, try to get directly from there.  It's available only in France.
Well known for its anxiolytic effect, but never tested on humans for nerve regeneration.
It was tested on rats. Effect is amazing

i think it's nothing bad to take it, cause the drug is used for reducing anxiety.
nothing too lose

the problem is where to find it....the pure drug ..good source
i'm gonna try it in next month.. but do not know where take it from

chinnychinchin

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
I just had double jaw surgery + genioplasty myself almost 3 months ago and very unhappy with the result. The surgeon moved my upper jaw forward too much so I am now looking like a chimp. Same problem as yours midface is way too full and it makes my face looks even bigger. Now considering another surgery to correct it but it is still scary. I just look in a mirror and saw somebody i don't recognize and that is really killing me.

Good luck and I hope you get better soon!

Has it been getting better? You were only 3 months post-op at the time so it's very likely alot of the swelling could have been giving you a false perception. My upper lip is still pretty swollen even approaching 5 months.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 10:24:34 AM »
5 months post-op and you still have a swollen upper lip?  Wow the recovery time for this surgery is crazy!
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Rico

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
it's good to make massages after 2 months post op. from time to time for a few months  to reduce scarring issue

ditterbo

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
Just discovering the "emotional support" side of the forum.. not sure if this forum just collects the few percent of people with damning complications from this surgery or if it really should be avoided unless your teeth are way out of wack, just due to the risk of so much else going wrong?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
Just discovering the "emotional support" side of the forum.. not sure if this forum just collects the few percent of people with damning complications from this surgery or if it really should be avoided unless your teeth are way out of wack, just due to the risk of so much else going wrong?

I was told my nerve damage is like 1 out of 50 or 100.  Anyway, you need surgery.  Don't take it the wrong way, but you will hardly look any worse after it.  You probably need CCW.  Ask how much posterior maxillary downdraft you need and how stable it is.  What will happen if it relapses.  Ask all the hard questions.