Author Topic: Cleft Lip + Jaw Surgery Relapse = Lack of confidence  (Read 2233 times)

miyi

Cleft Lip + Jaw Surgery Relapse = Lack of confidence
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself..Im 31 born with cleft lip /palate a birth defect that affects the nose, lip and ear. For those of you who don't know about this birth defect lets just say Ive had over 20 surgeries to correct my "birth defect". Anyway , because of my cleft lip i had severe underbite which was corrected with jaw surgery when I was about 17 years old. However the jaw slightly relapsed so I had another jaw surgery at 20 yrs. It was a success made a huge difference and smile was much better HOWEVER, before I knew it my jaw slightly relapsed again!! It didnt bother me much until recently I dont know why ive been obsessing with my smile more than ever. I am scheduled to see my old surgeon that was seeing me at Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles thank goodness he has his own consultation to see adults. I am hoping to GOD that he has other alternatives to fix my slight underbite..Growing up ive had several surgeries and the worst of all that was traumatic was Jaw Surgery. But the results outweigh the pain you go through after surgery. As result from my previous surgeries I have permanent nerve damage on my bottom lip. Although I do slightly feel my lip here and there but overall is numbed. But that doesnt bother me. Anyway here are some pictures to compare the difference..I hardly smile so this is the only close up i found ..the first pic was post after surgery as you can see my face looks different..the second one was years after my surgery noticing my relapse...would you guys recommend having a third surgery?

[attachment deleted by admin]

miyi

Re: Cleft Lip + Jaw Surgery Relapse = Lack of confidence
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
Thanks Lisa for your comments... there are days where my self esteem gets to me and I obsess about my appearance... I will keep you updated with my surgeon appt. Sorry for the PPP ic I will try uploading a better one