Author Topic: 3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients  (Read 42672 times)

overbiter

3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »

3D printed bone implants are now available to patients in europe, thanks to dutch company Xilloc Medical. These implants are patient specific and are created from CT scans, then printed out using a 3D printer. The implants are made from bio compatible materials that turn into real bone once implanted. Implants can be created to augment jaws, zygomas and brows, or pretty much any part of the cranial anatomy. See this article for more information.

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/05/18/move-over-titanium-3d-printed-bone-implants-are-here/

Here's the website

http://www.xilloc.com/ct-bone/

Example implants

http://www.xilloc.com/products_services/patient-specific-implants/examples/

skippy

Re: 3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
The manufacturing of CT-Bone involves printing the designed implant using calcium phosphate, the primary constituent of natural bone. The advantage is that when this is implanted, the patient’s existing bone fuses with it just as it would with natural bone and unifies in a few months. It’s a bone-like implant that allows bone to grow naturally into it.

So it's not really bone, just something resembling human bones more then solid silicon i guess. Must be expensive?

overbiter

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
So it's not really bone, just something resembling human bones more then solid silicon i guess. Must be expensive?

It's a bio compatible material that the human body eventually converts into bone. It integrates with the body, blood vessels grow through its porous texture, new bone cells grow within it. It becomes indistinguishable from other bone over time.

I'm not sure how expensive it would be to get an implant made. I suppose that they probably aren't even doing it for purely cosmetic purposes yet anyway. It will be available for that purpose soon though, because of the advantages it offers.

terry947

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
Wow sounds cool. Hopefully it comes out in the next 2-3 years.

skippy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
i sent them an email. Let's see if they reply

earl25

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
sounds like the material is  HA

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:16:33 PM »

They specifically mention that CT-Bone is different from HA. It's not very informative to call it calcium phosphate since that's just the name of a family of minerals (which HA is also a part of).

Relevant quote:
Unlike other 3D printed ceramics (like Hydroxyapatite or Beta-TCP), CT-Bone® does not require a thermal process (sintering) to increase mechanical strength and therefore also displays better bony fusion (sintering increases crystallinity which adversely affects biodegradability).

overbiter

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:44:14 AM »

The difference between CT-bone and HA is that it has degradability. A patients body can break this stuff down and remould it. Which means that it can be fully integrated into the body and become a part of the living skeleton.

HA cannot be broken down. The sintering process, required to increase its mechanical strength, creates a crystalline molecular structure. Adding HA to bones is a bit like slapping some glass on them. Bloods vessels and bone cells cannot grow into it, it's an inert material, it will never become a part of the patients biology. Surgeons only use it because it has the ability to bind to bone, that doesn't mean it will ever become bone. HA behaves like any other artificial material when applied, in that it never becomes a part of the body's biology. It is synthetic. Bones might look like they are 'fixed' by it, but in fact that is an illusion. Bones 'fixed' by HA can never heal, they lose that potential because of the lack of degradability. That is why HA is bad.

CT-bone implants are not like other implants, in that they become a part of the patients biology. Once inside the body they transform into natural bone. The implants are colonised by a patients own cells. It's like having a bone graft, only better because the implants are created by a 3D printer.

overbiter

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 02:46:15 AM »
i sent them an email. Let's see if they reply

Great, keep us updated.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
Yeah I will totally get sinn to use this on me if it's available. Please keep us updated!!!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
what the ho ho? let's get more info?

who's the c*nt who negged my karma. f**k off and eat s**t. I'm like a BOSS of the jawsurgeryforums! I made you nigga!  I made you!!!

Tom2

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
I'm going to ask about this at my next appointment.

I'm thinking about jaw (angle of) implants and I like the sound of these...

skippy

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
i got one brief reply from them regarding the accessibility for patients who needs CT-Bone for cosmetic purposes only. Apparently this group of patients are their main target group and they hope to release the product in early 2016 in Europe and apply for FDA clearence in the US at the same time.

I returned a more spesific email with questions regarding estimated costs, surgeons capable of inserting these implants, long-term effects on facial bones and tissue etc but never got any reply back...

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »
Ain't no maxillofacial surgery in the motherf**kin hood.

terry947

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 12:33:01 AM »
thanks for the update skippy