Author Topic: 3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients  (Read 42764 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: 3D Printed Bone Implants Are Now Available For Patients
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
boyo, I am at that point already kinda too so I empathize.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
What's described is pretty incredible. Based on that, well it depends on how long you've had the implant. If it hadn't had time to fully integrate, then you'd probably have a dislodged foreign body that never resorbs. It might need to be surgically removed. They're claiming that it fully converts into bone, though unclear whether it will look the same on both sides when that happens. Definitely worth keeping an eye on!

tim06

• Private
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
Any updates on this?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »
Any updates on this?

Nope just forget about it. It's just a brittle HA concept and it just crumbles and can get seriously f**ked up as an onlay graft. We already have ha blocks for interbone positions. This has no aesthetic advantage. And we're no where close to printing real bone. Check back in 10 years.

ditterbo

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Nope just forget about it. It's just a brittle HA concept and it just crumbles and can get seriously f**ked up as an onlay graft. We already have ha blocks for interbone positions. This has no aesthetic advantage. And we're no where close to printing real bone. Check back in 10 years.

Israel has regrown partial bone successfully in a patient, but no word on applying that for cosmetic purposes:
https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3727870,00.html

Two weeks ago, Bonus announced the successful injection of its bone graft in the jawbones of 11 people, in a separate clinical trial that started September 2016. Over several months, the graft created new bone growth in all eleven participants.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:30 AM »
As cool as that sounds, I'm not optimistic that it'd help us. It's one thing to replace missing bone through injections like that in a bony gap, where there's (presumably cancellous) bone on several sides from prior injury and another to try and augment the same way on top of corticol bone. You never know though. I guess a lot of injections and you could get a small amount of volume added. Too much and the soft tissue envelope becomes a problem since it's attached to the existing bone.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
IDK. Keep in mind they are using the stem cells found in fat to seed a bony type scaffold on to which to grow the bone and then they need to put it in a bio-reactor to mimic the bio-dynamics within the body. As I see it, the take home message is that there is a likelihood that getting fat grafts will have some stem cells in them to jump start a process of some of them turning into bone.

So that or implants where the bone cells grow into the pores.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
Did you change your username? Well, let's hope you are right! A friend of mine recently had a piece of his femur rebuilt that way. It's all infected now but I think it'll clear up and look good in the end. They also added bone marrow aspirate.

I didn't see anything about the bioreactor. What's that for? I thought it's just to mimic the conditions in the body.

These days my bags don't bother me too much. My thinning hair bothers me more. How have we not solved this problem yet??

Lestat

Lestat

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
Did you change your username?

What was his username before?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
I won't say the username here but I note his title is "global moderator" and there's only one that I know of here.

Didn't see that link before. Thanks for reminding me! Yes it looks more promising now. We need a way to separate the soft tissue from the bone still though. I guess it should be as effective as fillers but I think there's only a few pockets where they put them now. I don't know that much about them tbh.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »
Did you change your username? Well, let's hope you are right! A friend of mine recently had a piece of his femur rebuilt that way. It's all infected now but I think it'll clear up and look good in the end. They also added bone marrow aspirate.

I didn't see anything about the bioreactor. What's that for? I thought it's just to mimic the conditions in the body.

These days my bags don't bother me too much. My thinning hair bothers me more. How have we not solved this problem yet??

No change from start point. I assist GJ. Bioreactor was reference to another thread about generating bone from fat stem cells. If your generating bone from stem cells in VITRO, a bioreactor is needed. Yes. To mimic conditions in the body.

ETA:  Moderator function differs from Administration.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:09:31 PM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.