Author Topic: New here. Any singers/vocal performers who have had double jaw surgery?  (Read 2605 times)

al12345

First post. Lots of questions but I thought I would start with this one as I couldn't find anything searchable in the threads.

I am looking into jaw surgery to correct VME, gummy smile, protruding lower lip, mild-mod lip incompetence, etc. A Le Fort I to shorten & advance my upper jaw with a (conservative, chin recession is mild) sliding genioplasty was recommended (consult with Jamali in NYC).

Singing is my #1 most cherished hobby (I have 4+ years classical training) and was wondering if any singers who have had jaw surgery to correct similar problems could share their recovery experiences. I'm only targeting that group as they will tend to notice problems/benefits first, but anyone who has had changes to their voice/speech, please chime in. I know it takes a while to get back to being fully functional when it comes to mechanical use. I don't NEED to have the huge range of motion I have today anyway. I was thinking there may be improvements to vocal performance as a result of the corrections as well (improved ease of enunciation, improved breathing, and so forth). I hate the way I look when I speak/sing, and am really looking forward to an aesthetic improvement. Thanks!

History: I was a childhood mouth breather & thumb sucker. Somehow though don't have much in the way of dental malocclusion except for a small open bite that makes it challenging to bite through elastic-y type foods all the way (sandwiches, pizza). I have some over-development of my lower facial muscles due to overuse, namely the orbi oris.  I've yet to fully look into any breathing problems with an ENT, although I suspect, even though I have had some success in training myself not to mouth breathe during sleep, that I've got some amount of airway obstruction (Dr. Jamali suspected I may have some and asked me but all I could say is I've got nothing to compare it to and haven't been to an ENT). My mom has a deviated septum, so....

mike888miller

Re: New here. Any singers/vocal performers who have had double jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:21:35 AM »
there is a correlation between short jaw and forward head posture, although i have not been able to figure out what causes what by looking at the available studies. however, fixing the jaw balance may have a positive effect on breathing and hence vocal production.

al12345

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:36 AM »
Thanks Mike. I agree there could be some benefit. I am mostly worried about unforeseen complications with voice as a result. Looks like not much experience with that on the site here.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
Thanks Mike. I agree there could be some benefit. I am mostly worried about unforeseen complications with voice as a result. Looks like not much experience with that on the site here.

if you get dark triangles (spaces) between lower or upper incisors you'll have a slight lisp to contend with.