Author Topic: Is this outcome possible with double jaw surgery? Gunson  (Read 13281 times)

Aleina8586

Is this outcome possible with double jaw surgery? Gunson
« on: November 17, 2015, 02:14:49 AM »
Hi,

At the moment I live and work outside the U.S. but want to have surgery with Dr. Gunson. How does it work for people who want to have surgery abroad? Ortho and surgeon have to be on the same page... So if I get my braces in an other country is that going to be a pain for Dr. G? Has anyone done this? Also, can a steep occlusal plane be corrected with double jaw surgery?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:18:14 AM by Aleina8586 »

PloskoPlus

Re: Is this outcome possible with double jaw surgery? Gunson
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »
If I were you, I'd do nothing. Gunson will probably advise the same.  If you want surgery at any cost (pardon the pun), see wolford in dallas.  He invented CCW rotation.   You may also be able to achieve the same effect with a chin wing (triaca is the best).

carlos30

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:37 AM »
can't see difference.

Aleina8586

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:43:18 AM »
If I were you, I'd do nothing. Gunson will probably advise the same.  If you want surgery at any cost (pardon the pun), see wolford in dallas.  He invented CCW rotation.   You may also be able to achieve the same effect with a chin wing (triaca is the best).

Wolford was also in my radar, I didn't know he invented CCW rotation, will definitely check him out.
I kept reading "chin wing" in post titles here but never bothered to look it up, now that you brought it up I did and I think this could actually do the trick. I am impressed with some of the results. My only concern would be needing jaw surgery in the future.. Right now I don't have complications but this could change. Do you know if it can be performed after a chin wing?

Thank you for your reply, you have given me a lot of valuable information!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:50:42 AM »
Chin wings are impressive, yes. But I suspect that in a lot of the cases they camouflage the underlying problem of a steep occlusal plane. Fwiw, I have the same problem. Imo fixing this underlying problem can really rebalance the face.  The CCW cases I saw in Wolford's office were IMPRESSIVE. Although he must've done so many cases, it's easy for him to cherry pick I guess.

SJay

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »
You're extremely attractive as you are, your features are quite striking! I can see you have a strong jawline, I think this looks youthful and fits your face very well. I'm no expert, but your facial structure looks good to me. I know beauty is subjective though, and you should do whatever makes you happy, so good luck!

By the way, I don't think there would be a problem as an out of town patient with Dr Gunson... that's my plan. You can even do a paper consultation first to get an idea of whether it's worth making a visit to their office.

Aleina8586

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 06:10:04 AM »
Chin wings are impressive, yes. But I suspect that in a lot of the cases they camouflage the underlying problem of a steep occlusal plane. Fwiw, I have the same problem. Imo fixing this underlying problem can really rebalance the face.  The CCW cases I saw in Wolford's office were IMPRESSIVE. Although he must've done so many cases, it's easy for him to cherry pick I guess.

Exactly. I feel like fixing the position of my jaws should help rebalance the face, I guess I'm just a little worried it won't. In that case I can get a chin wing after everything is 100% healed. I will ask about this one, both are hardcore procedures and I don't want my face to fall off.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:43:53 PM by Aleina8586 »

Aleina8586

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:56:43 AM »
You're extremely attractive as you are, your features are quite striking! I can see you have a strong jawline, I think this looks youthful and fits your face very well. I'm no expert, but your facial structure looks good to me. I know beauty is subjective though, and you should do whatever makes you happy, so good luck!

By the way, I don't think there would be a problem as an out of town patient with Dr Gunson... that's my plan. You can even do a paper consultation first to get an idea of whether it's worth making a visit to their office.

Thank you sj594! I've always felt uncomfortable with the shape of my jaw so your comment definitely made me smile. it's true beauty is subjective but in my case I feel like the abnormal position of my jaws is what is causing the steepness of the occlusal plane I dislike so much.

Didn't know about the paper consultation, that is awesome. Their website is kind of weird, mostly info of the courses they teach. I emailed them a few days ago but didn't hear back, will contact the staff directly, hopefully will have better luck.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:44:45 PM by Aleina8586 »

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:58 AM »
We would need to see pics of your bite before giving opinions but based upon looks alone I wouldn't do anything.  Quite honestly, you look like a model.  You're gorgeous and do not need any changes to your appearance. 

Aleina8586

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
it looks like your maxilla is slightly recessed resulting in a paranasal hollowing

how is your sna and snb angle?

however i agree that if you only want to get a lower gonial angle and your bite is fine chin wing might be the best choice.

My bite looks normal to the naked eye, but it's not. I feel like my maxilla is slightly recessed (like you said) and my lower jaw should be pushed back. Also, my orthodontist managed to close my open bite but it still doesn't close ALL the way down like a normal bite. He was able to get a good result but the underlying problem is still there.

I will consult with at least three oral and maxillofacial surgeons before taking the next step (Gunson and Wolford are on my list), hopefully soon I will have a clearer view of what's wrong with me and what are the steps I need to take to fix it. I'm 27, it's time to bite the bullet, this has been bothering me for too long.

Aleina8586

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 08:54:02 AM »
We would need to see pics of your bite before giving opinions but based upon looks alone I wouldn't do anything.  Quite honestly, you look like a model.  You're gorgeous and do not need any changes to your appearance.

Wow thank you treevernal, what a nice thing to say. Im honestly surprised that you don't think it looks off... I'm always looking at people's jaws (since I dislike mine) and I feel like my jaw angle is crazy steep and throws everything off. If my bite was perfect I would probably just accept it but i think fixing it might help making it better. I am consulting a few doctors before going forward, if they think it's not worth the pain then I will just learn to accept my face as it is and move on.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:45:40 PM by Aleina8586 »

Aleina8586

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »
My advice is not to do anything.  Your jaw looks good now.  The amount you might gain with surgery is small and you risk making it worse.  This stuff is not an exact science.  If you do decide to proceed with surgery, use the search function and read about the risks and failed outcomes forum members have written about so you go into it fully informed.

That is actually very good advice, thank you FaceNit. I have to admit I have focused on the good transformations and not so much on the complications because we tend to think it won't happen to us. I haven't read anything bad about Gunson so far, that's kind of why I want to go with him, but I know that even the best doctors can have a bad outcome. Thank you for the reminder, I appreciate it  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:45:07 PM by Aleina8586 »

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
Wow, you look stunning already! What's your opinion on married men ten years older with facial deformities? :P

I have a steep mandible too so I understand your concern but you should know that you don't just change the gonial angle. To do that you'd need to alter the ramus height, which isn't possible today. To change the gonial angle you need to advance both jaws which alters facial balance. Can't tell just from the pics you posted (need imaging) but I'd be more concerned about any long term health implications if any, steep angles and female are generally not a good combo and I've read some literature suggesting jaw surgery to prevent TMD is indicated. I'd also like to see your airway. I'm not thrilled about compensatory orthodontics, all this evaluation should have been done first, but it's done already. Surgery out of country shouldn't be an issue btw but there are many good surgeons out there. Dr G is a wonderful man with a great reputation and an easy choice but by no means the only one.

schrodinger

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
Very stunning and sexy. I would be careful. Perfect is the enemy of good. When you have a not good looking starting point there is room for improvement. If you have such good looks already, there is much more chance to see little improvement or to make a mistake. Not many surgeons can make such a goodlooking face look better. Much more chance to not look better afterwards or even worse.

Aleina8586

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »
Wow, you look stunning already! What's your opinion on married men ten years older with facial deformities? :P

Hahah that made me laugh, you forgot to add great sense of humor.

I'm not going to lie, my main goal is to achieve a nice looking jaw and reduce some of the height but future health problems are also on my mind.

Wait, did you have an anterior open bite before? That changes things! Do you have teeth pics from before ortho to share?

Well I started my treatment really young, I want to say 9 years old?
I've read that ortho sometimes can make it impossible (or very difficult) for someone to have jaw surgery in the future, especially if they extracted teeth... That scared me because I remember I had 2 extractions. I guess I'll just have to wait for my consults and see what's up. I had my treatment done so long ago that I barely remember what was done.

The fact I had an anterior open bite before changes things? For the worse or for the better? 

I live in Dubai at the moment so unfortunately I have zero options locally, any surgeon I choose will be out of the country.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:48:23 PM by Aleina8586 »