Author Topic: 3-D imaging?  (Read 3085 times)

Lazlo

• Private
3-D imaging?
« on: March 20, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Today the surgeon assigned to me here in Canada showed me my possible surgical outcome using software like this example below.

It's not just to give you a cosmetic hypothesis but is actually used to plan the surgery (so it might be different from the program below but it looked similar). So for example, he could tell that part of my jaw would be asymmetrical when advanced and that it would lead to unwanted changes (basically there was no solution for that according to him).

I can tell you it was a horrifying experience. First, being able to see your head and face in 3-D like that is quite traumatizing because you see what you sort of look like for the first time without literally embodying your own face/head. I guess unless you're a model, it's a disappointing and scary thing to see.

But I think I'd recommend it because it really can give you a better sense of what this surgery will and won't do for you and also you can try and ask more specifically if certain types of changes are actually possible. It was really stressful though.

Anyone else had this done? If you have or are going to I'd be interested to know your experience.

3D Orthognathic Surgery Planning

pumukka

Re: 3-D imaging?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
hehe, that was pretty cool, in Spain Dr. Alfaro does it at Instituto Maxilofacial, I think this software is so important to plan the surgery, kinda like clinchek for invisalign. Im not sure to what percentage is accurate, but i think its so important knowing what the soft tissue will be like, many people think their jaws, and specially chins look too prominent or still retruded after the surgery and i think with this it can be avoided to some degree at least to the more aesthetic ones

Its pretty close to the final outcome I believe, and for me being a super borderline case I'm hoping it will make me see and decide if its worth it or fat transfer or what would be best for what Id like to archive, the only problem is that it might be too expensive for doctors to buy or patients with big problems are just happy to see a class I occlusion so they think its not that necessary, i do think it is as well as seeing how the airways change before and after :)

rolo2000

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
Does anyone know any other surgeons in Europe who do 3D imagining apart from Alfaro? Alfaro is a capable surgeon but he doesn't listen to what you want, he has his own plan and you won't get a say in it

ditterbo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »
Yep this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.  You'd want as much shown to you if you went for any 50-100grand, solely aesthetic (in my case) procedure with this amount of downtime.   I've heard of a doc here or there that uses it in the US, but only once your neck deep in the whole process and so fully committed to the surgery.

whatdo

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »
Who was the surgeon that did this for you Lazlo?

ppsk

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
dont know about europe

Do know Coceancig in australia has fancy 3d imaging technology, called cone beam CT scans "primitive"  ;D

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
this whole thing was a dead end

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
this whole thing was a dead end

What do you mean it was a dead end?  How accurate was the software compared to the actual surgery?
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »
Is there an alternative?
There is dolphin software, but from what I' been told, is that many offices were sued because the software was unable to predict soft tissue changes, and was not an accurate representation of the surgery results attained.