Author Topic: Has anyone had a sleep study?  (Read 1642 times)

Alue

• Private
Has anyone had a sleep study?
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »
I'm about to have one.  I actually kind of hope I have sleep apnea so that can help justify insurance to pay for my surgery, but I have my doubts, we'll see.   

Bobbit

Re: Has anyone had a sleep study?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »
I'm about to have one.  I actually kind of hope I have sleep apnea so that can help justify insurance to pay for my surgery, but I have my doubts, we'll see.

There is an easy economical way to do a screen for sleep apnea.  A private screen!

Go to Walgreen and buy one of the inexpensive  finger pulse oximeters that records data over night and sends it to a computer by blue tooth.

You can plot out your heart rate and Ps02 every minute for the night.   If you have  sleep apnea - - you should see episodic trends with heart rate rising and O2 saturation falling below normal. 

Those only cost about 40 to 80 bucks.   

jesterofmalice

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »
I had one done at a sleep clinc as i'd had a few incidents of what I assumed was sleep apnea.
(if I slept on my back, I'd get the sensations whilst I was asleep that i'd stopped breathing, then I'd jolt out of my sleep kind of gasping for breath)

Like you, I was hoping the study would confirm sleep apnea and that it was my jaws/airway that were the issue so that I could get free jaw surgery!! :)

However, the study came back with mixed results that the head physician wasn't concerned about as most of my readings were acceptable, so no free surgery on that basis.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
Go to Walgreen and buy one of the inexpensive  finger pulse oximeters that records data over night and sends it to a computer by blue tooth.

Try eBay, ContecMed ones in particular. In any case, it can demonstrate sleep apnea but not great. My AHI is very high but it barely shows up on these things.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
There is an easy economical way to do a screen for sleep apnea.  A private screen!

You can plot out your heart rate and Ps02 every minute for the night.   If you have  sleep apnea - - you should see episodic trends with heart rate rising and O2 saturation falling below normal. 

Those only cost about 40 to 80 bucks.

I don't think that really replaces a full sleep study.  There are a LOT of other things they look at.

Well it turns out I do have mild sleep apnea (with no snoring).  Looking back I wouldn't be surprised if I've had it since I was a teen after I had my orthodontic treatment.   I'm not overweight either, I never have been overweight. 

Dr suggested CPAP or a bite guard, screw that, I'd rather address the underlying problem.  Sigh. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:15:58 PM by Alue »

Bobbit

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
Umm, yea I don't think that really replaces a full sleep study.  There are a LOT of other things they look at.

Well it turns out I do have mild sleep apnea (with no snoring).  Looking back I wouldn't be surprised if I've had it since I was a teen after I had my orthodontic treatment.   I'm not overweight either, I never have been overweight. 

Dr suggested CPAP or a bite guard, screw that, I'd rather address the underlying problem.  Sigh.

Alue,   
Did not intend to suggest that it would replace a sleep study.  But it really is a good way to do a screening.  Very inexpensive.  Very private. 

Frankly,  if your heart rate and SO2 are at normal resting levels and are stable through the night - -  then it is virtually certain that you do NOT have sleep apnea.