Author Topic: Depressed ... Regretting Surgery I look like a chimp freak now ... Underbite LF1  (Read 29053 times)

terry947

So I'm guessing normalizing the oclussion plane regardless of class and being conservative I advancements is the best way to avoid the chimp look if you're getting a lefort 1/bsso?

carlos30

too much advancement relative to midface and left with weak chin, IMO.

chinnychinchin

Swelling is brutal from a LF1. I'm Asian myself and had a 5 mm upper jaw advancement @ 5 months post-op with still lots of residual swelling around the area. I have the same exact effect as you--upturned nose, large upper lip, etc. Definitely give it lots of time as it will get better. Then evaluate.

Valoz

Can you post closeup photos of yourself smiling before and after?  Can you post a lateral ceph?  If your occlusal plane angle is high, the dominant upper lip may not go away, I'm afraid.

Is this picture any help ?

Also are you feeling good about your aesthetics results from surgery ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:43:44 PM by Valoz »

Valoz

Just an update - 4 1/2 weeks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:43:54 PM by Valoz »

Valoz

Swelling is brutal from a LF1. I'm Asian myself and had a 5 mm upper jaw advancement @ 5 months post-op with still lots of residual swelling around the area. I have the same exact effect as you--upturned nose, large upper lip, etc. Definitely give it lots of time as it will get better. Then evaluate.

Yes I agree this swelling is brutal ... it's extremely frustrating not knowing whether my face looks like this or if its swelling ... From the 1 month post of point to your 5 months post op point, did your nose / upper lip shrink significantly ?

kjohnt

I think you're going to end up being more happy with your results than you thought you would when you created this thread... you look good.  But I maintain that the genio would give just a little boost... here's my attempt at a morph.

edit - your front picture appears to show that swelling went down considerably... your front profile is nice looking.  You are pretty, really!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:09:50 AM by kjohnt »

PloskoPlus

Yes I agree this swelling is brutal ... it's extremely frustrating not knowing whether my face looks like this or if its swelling ... From the 1 month post of point to your 5 months post op point, did your nose / upper lip shrink significantly ?

I also had a LF1 advancement for an underbite.  My jaws are not too dissimilar to yours.  I have a lat ceph at 5 months - the lip was still convex, or straight at best.  I also have a lat ceph at 13 months - and the lip is finally concave.  No, it will never be like pre-op, and I still don't like it, but it's much better at 13 months vs 5 months.  You may be happy in a years time.  My ortho told me that he can often see a difference in the upper lip in 12 and 24 month photos post-op.

needadvancement

I also had a LF1 advancement for an underbite.  My jaws are not too dissimilar to yours.  I have a lat ceph at 5 months - the lip was still convex, or straight at best.  I also have a lat ceph at 13 months - and the lip is finally concave.  No, it will never be like pre-op, and I still don't like it, but it's much better at 13 months vs 5 months.  You may be happy in a years time.  My ortho told me that he can often see a difference in the upper lip in 12 and 24 month photos post-op.

Is this only the case for LF1 or does it count for all jaw surgeries where a lot of swelling was on the upperlip?

chinnychinchin

Yes very significantly and I still think it has some room to go.

Rico

No actually functionality wise everything is great except I get this weird clicking in the left side of my upper jaw and also vibrations when I laugh.  And I do agree overcorrection is WAY worse than my original problem... sigh I'll wait it out and see if it gets better...

it's overloaded TM joint.  You may get TMJ disorder soon. Be aware.
Do some relaxations of the muscles there. You are under stress now so it can give you more risk

i don't believe that no muscle is irritated after such surgery...when at least one muscle connected with jaw doesn't work perfectly, the joint is overloaded

Ask your surgeon about the issue, to be sure he expected that and what if it's not gonna go away... a plan to avoid complications

PS upper jaw = maxillary bone. There is no upper and lower jaw ;)  There is jaw and maxilla
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:47:33 PM by Rico :) »

eripsa

i think your results are very nice

Jay.R

you look gorgeous!!!

Yonechan

OMG.. My cheek (i.e the difference between pre and post) is quite similiar to yours at the pictures u gave on first post. Except that mine is much worse. And I'm already at alarmingly 7 weeks (49 days). :(
I have no symptoms but i look... like squirrel.
Hope mine is sort out miraculously.

Valoz

OMG.. My cheek (i.e the difference between pre and post) is quite similiar to yours at the pictures u gave on first post. Except that mine is much worse. And I'm already at alarmingly 7 weeks (49 days). :(
I have no symptoms but i look... like squirrel.
Hope mine is sort out miraculously.

Hey I am about 8 weeks post op now and I can totally relate to what your feeling, I'm still super unhappy with my results so far but I guess we just need to wait out the 6 months before we start freaking out !!