Author Topic: New York surgeons?  (Read 10887 times)

tdawg

• Private
New York surgeons?
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
Anybody know of any reputable surgeons that do genioplastys in the new york area?

neferkitti

• Private
Re: New York surgeons?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:15:34 AM »
There's always Dr.Zide. I cannot vouch for his expertise personally, however. Have only emailed a few times and had one or two phone conversations. He has written a fair number of journal articles on genio that might interest you. Just a heads up, though, he's quite the character.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »
Any idea what he charges? Since he seems to be an expert I am assuming he might charge more than the average rate.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
Well he doesnt have a good internet reputation. And to be 100% honest, most of the results on his website look fairly unnatural.

There has to be somebody in the New York area who is both awesome and sane, right?

Edit: After doing more research, it seems like there are some credible individuals that think very highly of Dr. Zide. I wonder if all the bad reviews are by one bitter client who had unrealistic expectations? One of Dr. Zide's article's is about the genioplasty that I suspect would be best for me, the jumping genioplasty where they reduce the vertical height at the same time as increasing horizontal projection.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:28:36 PM by tdawg »

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
Well he doesnt have a good internet reputation. And to be 100% honest, most of the results on his website look fairly unnatural.

There has to be somebody in the New York area who is both awesome and sane, right?

I was surprised that he posted some of those photos on his site. Are these indicative of typical outcomes?  Dont know. It was a good reality check in terms of potential drawbacks. I contacted him to pick his brain, since he had written many articles on the subject. I was seeking a reduction, which is much trickier than augmentation. Yeah, he has a reputation on the web for his abrasiveness and arrogance. A lot do not like this about him. I liked him immediately, but I care less about bedside manner. I was trying to find solid info, and he was helpful and nice, just very high-strung.

I'm sure there are more "sane" surgeons in NY. Just know of the one, unfortunately. Is Boston too far?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
Im trying to stay in NY if possible.

How about Neal Goldberg? He seems like he knows what he is talking about on realself.com and his website.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »
Im trying to stay in NY if possible.

How about Neal Goldberg? He seems like he knows what he is talking about on realself.com and his website.

I don't know anything about Goldberg's background. Personally, I don't entirely trust those promoting on RS, but that's just me. What may be a good jumping off point is Dr. David Staffenberg in NY. I have never consulted with him, but he did participate in Kawamoto's fellowship. That's meaningful to me. Call his office for suggestions. He used to do only pediatric cases, but he may have expanded. I don't know.

Good luck to you. Let me know what you find out.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:04:05 PM by neferkitti »

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Edit: After doing more research, it seems like there are some credible individuals that think very highly of Dr. Zide. I wonder if all the bad reviews are by one bitter client who had unrealistic expectations? One of Dr. Zide's article's is about the genioplasty that I suspect would be best for me, the jumping genioplasty where they reduce the vertical height at the same time as increasing horizontal projection.

It could be a disgruntled client(s) I don't know. He has a rep for his arrogance. This really seems to piss patients off. I find it sort of endearing in a NY sort of way, but i didn't go under the knife with him. If I recall, his consults are $200-300 and the procedure was somewhere around $6K. Prices may have changed, however.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »
thanks.

He actually has a website http://www.newyorkcraniofacialsurgery.com. It appears he does cosmetic procedures as well on adults.

Between Staffenberg, Zide, Goldberg and Jamali(found his name on another forum), I should be able to find what I am looking for if it exist.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
thanks.

He actually has a website http://www.newyorkcraniofacialsurgery.com. It appears he does cosmetic procedures as well on adults.

Between Staffenberg, Zide, Goldberg and Jamali(found his name on another forum), I should be able to find what I am looking for if it exist.

Good luck to you, tdawg! Updates on your consults would be great, especially with Zide.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
I emailed Zide and tbh I was turned off a bit. I told him that I would be going for consults in a few months. He told me that I should come in sooner rather than later. When I asked why, he said he might be moving soon. I asked him if there was anyone he could recommend if I missed him and if he still does genioplasties(I read that he only does implants now) and he stopped responding at that point.

Maybe he is just busy, but it seemed that he was willing to respond when he thought that he could get me in and out the door minus 6000 dollars. Seems to correspond with the other complaints against him. Right now in pre consult mode, I am leaning towards Jamali and Staffenberg because they are oral surgeons.

I heard about another NYC surgeon who will do genios, Dr. Sam Rizk, but then I read  he charges 14,000 for a rhinoplasty. I can only imagine what he would charge for a genioplasty. Im hoping I can keep this in the range of 6000 dollars.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 01:30:54 AM »
Hey tdawg,

Go with you gut. If you don't feel comfortable with Dr. Z now, move on. Definitely consult with as many surgeons as possible before you decide on one. Check around for crainofacial docs, too, not just oral surgeons. Keep me posted.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 01:36:44 AM »
I heard about another NYC surgeon who will do genios, Dr. Sam Rizk, but then I read  he charges 14,000 for a rhinoplasty. I can only imagine what he would charge for a genioplasty. Im hoping I can keep this in the range of 6000 dollars.

Yeah, expect to pay a premium in NY. My girlfriend paid a little over $13K for a very conservative rhino (bump shave). Typical for the region, according to her.

manderin

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
Would definitely NOT choose Dr. Zide.  I consulted with him once and was really turned off by him.  He wanted to put implants all over my head and would not even let me share any of my thoughts- kept interrupting me and wouldn't let me finish a sentence.  A doctor who refuses to listen to your concerns is a red flag.  I chose not to get my surgery with him, but I've known others who ignored his poor bedside manner and went ahead having surgery with him.  Be forewarned that if you are unhappy with your surgery he WILL NOT listen to your concerns.  Instead of helping fix the problem he will just refer you to a psychiatrist.  It seems that according to Dr. Zide anyone who thinks his work isn't perfect must be crazy.  These unhappy people were forced to try to find another surgeon to do revision as Zide would refuse.  Just because someone writes a few journals doesn't make them a great surgeon.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »
Would definitely NOT choose Dr. Zide.  I consulted with him once and was really turned off by him.  He wanted to put implants all over my head and would not even let me share any of my thoughts- kept interrupting me and wouldn't let me finish a sentence.  A doctor who refuses to listen to your concerns is a red flag.  I chose not to get my surgery with him, but I've known others who ignored his poor bedside manner and went ahead having surgery with him.  Be forewarned that if you are unhappy with your surgery he WILL NOT listen to your concerns.  Instead of helping fix the problem he will just refer you to a psychiatrist.  It seems that according to Dr. Zide anyone who thinks his work isn't perfect must be crazy.  These unhappy people were forced to try to find another surgeon to do revision as Zide would refuse.  Just because someone writes a few journals doesn't make them a great surgeon.

Yea I dont even think I will consult with him. Why waste the consult fee? Im turned off by implants as well as the attitude he conveyed in his email and what others have said.