Author Topic: Double Jaw Surgery 5.15.12 - Underbite  (Read 8259 times)

CheezyGuy913

Double Jaw Surgery 5.15.12 - Underbite
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
These messages boards and blogs were a huge help for me leading up to my procedure and it feels like an honor to be able to share my story/results to my fellow jaw enthusiasts on both sides the surgical coin. I had double jaw surgery on May 15th to correct an underbite and crossbite. My jaw story began in 8th grade when I noticed my teeth on the right side were no longer touching - leading me to become a lefty chewer. My dentist felt like my crowded and misaligned teeth were only cosmetic in problem so he didn't advise orthodontic treatment. In high school the chewing became a bigger issue, as did my self-conciousness smiling for pictures. The summer before starting college I finally went on my own and consulted a Orthodontist. He quickly informed me that my issue was bigger then braces alone could handle. Once the word 'surgery' came into play I kindly thanked the Orthodontist for his time and went merrily on my way. Fast forward 8 years...and a TMJ diagnosis...and here I am  8).

This was my 2nd jaw surgery - I had SARPE 9 months ago to expand my upper palette 9mm.  This time around was a double jaw surgery - my lower jaw was rotated to the left to center my chin and teeth mid-lines with my upper jaw. My upper jaw was advanced approximately 5mm to correct the underbite. All in all I've had a pretty good experience - swelling was minimal peaking at around the 3 day mark. 2 weeks out and most people say they don't notice any swelling anymore. And while I still notice it in the cheeks, it's relatively minimal. The chin numbness is annoying as many can attest to. Now I'm playing the waiting game...2 more weeks with the dreaded splint, then 4 more weeks of a soft food diet (scrambled eggs sounds AMAZING right now).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:23:55 PM by CheezyGuy913 »

Cmonster

• Private
Re: Double Jaw Surgery 5.15.12 - Underbite
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:38:22 AM »
Your afters look great :) Thanks for sharing your photos and story it helps all of us on the road :)
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

stevek216

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:23 AM »
Looking good! Your swelling is going down nicely!

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:32 PM »
Nice to see a recommended surgeon in Chicago, been looking to consult with one or two as I have family there.

How did your find your surgeon? Recommendation from your ortho?

We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

perfetto8390

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:13:26 AM »
You look really great, and seem to be recovering well. I have noticed that on many peoples after photos, their eyes seem more wide open and noticeable. I wonder why this is?

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
Cheesy guy .... You look great!   Do you know why they did the palate expansion in a separate operation and not at the time of double jaw surgery?

txiña

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:55 AM »
Congratulations, you look great!!!

CheezyGuy913

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
Ohhh the joys of returning to the real world after jaw surgery! Turns out the work didn't stop just because I wasn't there  :P

Cmonster - I actually was doing a hard target search for Maxillofacial surgeons in the western burbs. Then through a series of coincidences my mom's co-worker's daughter had jaw surgery with him and after I met with the Doc, through the miracle of social media, I found out a kid I went to high school with had jaw surgery with the same doctor. They both gave glowing recommendations and I felt good after my consults so it was a no brainer.

Perfetto8390 - Thanks! I've noticed a similar phenomenon too. My (less than scientific) theory is that people with under bites usually have underdeveloped maxilla which leaves the mid face concaved. After the surgery the mid face becomes fuller, which seems to make the cheekbones more defined, which I think has a 'brightening' effect on the eyes. My other theory is that people are so excited to be smiling in their post-op picture that their eyes have that extra twinkle in them! haha

Kristen - Thank you! The explanation I was given is that my upper jaw was so crowded and narrow that the amount of expantion needed (9mm) coupled with the 5-6mm movement forward would leave the upper jaw too unstable for the surgeon's comfort level. For sure he tends to err on the side of caution with all his work (i.e. I wore my splint for 4 weeks!). Plus my teeth were so crowded (see the frontal 'before' picture) that I don't know how he'd even line the 2 jaws up properly without first having the expansion and braces...it was kind of a mess!