Author Topic: This before and after  (Read 10127 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: This before and after
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 01:18:45 AM »
f**k man I didn't realize your outcome was so bad. Is it something that's always bothering you?
"Bothering" would be the understatement of the year.  I feel like a cripple because of it.

You basically never hear of this as a result of lefort 1 advancements. if anything you guys are unscathed. it's the bsso that creates numbnmess usually.
I thought I won the lottery when I found out I would need a single jaw surgery only (to truly win would be to never need these s**tty surgeries in the first place), because realistically lower jaw surgery almost always produces some sort of permanent numbness in older patients.  I guess my surgeon had to make sure I don't have it too easy. 

Anyway, I don't have lower lip numbness (yet) to compare with, but my guess is that the lower lip mainly just hangs there.  So a bit of numbness is mostly unnoticed.  My upper lip numbness is deep in the lip and cheek - I don't think I have any surface numbness. So any kind of animation - talking, breathing through the mouth, smiling, manifests itself as stiffness, a rubbery or "bruisy" feeling.  The trouble is that the upper lip is probably the most dynamic part of the face.

I would not feel so s**t about it if the result was good, but I still look off after this simple lazy surgery.  I have a class I bite, but other than that it feels like I am going through hell for nothing.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 01:20:33 AM »
listen could we stop arguing about the "reality" of this outcome. it's clear this was one of those guys whose face finally "POPS" as a result of the movements. He was quite odd looking before and the advancement of both jaws and the lengthening of his chin naturalized his facial proportions and there was a nascent "goodlookingness" there that was allowed to express itself finally. So this is 90 percent because of the jaw surgery and maybe 10 percent him being older, losing fat etc . So again, I say great results. Hey if we didn't see results that had such aesthetic potency --and there are quite a few-- would any of us take a risk on this surgery??? Nope. We're all taking a gamble we'll at least achieve that degree of betterment. Right?
The "POP" from the front happens only when the face changes length - a long face is shortened, a short face is lengthened, which is what we have here. Other than that, jaw surgery has the greatest impact on profile.

Tezcatli

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 02:13:29 AM »
The "POP" from the front happens only when the face changes length - a long face is shortened, a short face is lengthened, which is what we have here. Other than that, jaw surgery has the greatest impact on profile.

Yeah I've realized that too, a lefort I advancement does make your cheeks fuller but it is a small improvement.

I want to get upper jaw shortening to remove the gummy smile and chin lenghtening so I think I will change quite a lot. I really hate my gummy smile, makes me want not to smile in pictures. My soft tissues are normal so I'm lucky I look like crap mostly when I smile

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 02:18:39 AM »
Yeah I've realized that too, a lefort I advancement does make your cheeks fuller but it is a small improvement.

I want to get upper jaw shortening to remove the gummy smile and chin lenghtening so I think I will change quite a lot. I really hate my gummy smile, makes me want not to smile in pictures.
I guess we all want the stuff we lack.  I expected more tooth show after surgery, yet I'm still 2 mms short of ideal.  My surgeon made excuses - long upper lip, your age, bla bla. The LF1 made my upper lip dominate my lower third.

Beware that as you age, your lip will lengthen.  It's better to show a little bit of gum rather than none at all as it is ageing.  There are quiet a few before and afters on the web of people who were over impacted.  They look older.

Tezcatli

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 02:27:56 AM »
I guess we all want the stuff we lack.  I expected more tooth show after surgery, yet I'm still 2 mms short of ideal.  My surgeon made excuses - long upper lip, your age, bla bla. The LF1 made my upper lip dominate my lower third.

Beware that as you age, your lip will lengthen.  It's better to show a little bit of gum rather than none at all as it is ageing.  There are quiet a few before and afters on the web of people who were over impacted.  They look older.

Thanks for the tip, I plan on leaving maybe 1mm of gum show, I know it is not always that precise but it is my idea.

Vic

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 02:42:40 AM »
It's the chin, that makes the big difference from the front. The power of a good genioplasty can give you that sharp angled face and also tighten the skin

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I plan on leaving maybe 1mm of gum show, I know it is not always that precise but it is my idea.

There is also a thing called a hyperactive upper lip.  My tooth show at rest is -1 mm (the norm is 1 mm, but opinions differ).  My surgeon said that I have a hyperactive lip and down grafting would leave me with a gummy smile.  I think it's bulls**t because my smile looks 2 mm too shot as well.

Bobbit

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
What is it with this forum and hating on good results?
It's always 'she's tilting her head up more after' or 'he's got a tan in the after' or 'she's wearing makeup and got her hair done after'

Shut up ffs

Nobody hates good results.   

But then there is reality and rational evaluations of cause and effects - -  verses name calling and acronyms for expletives.

In this case,  puberty likely played a significant role in the good results,  right along with the skilled hands of a surgeon.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »
Never heard of that after a lip lift -maybe a few months if the muscles are cut (they are also cut during a Lefort i).  Anyway, I now have permanent numbness in my upper lip because the infraorbital nerve was damaged during a Lefort I.

Is cutting the infraorbital nerve something that is listed in the possible complications that you sign a waver for or is that negligence?  Is it a loss of feeling or is it paralysis?
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

PloskoPlus

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »
Is cutting the infraorbital nerve something that is listed in the possible complications that you sign a waver for or is that negligence?  Is it a loss of feeling or is it paralysis?
It was probably in the waiver. All surgeons mention permanent paraesthesia as an unlikely but possible complication.

Cutting the nerve causes paralysis. It's enough to overstretch it (it is retracted to cut the bone) or bruise it (during plate installation) to cause numbness however. I think the incidence of permanent paraesthesia for upper jaw surgery is about 2%.

boyo

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 11:52:02 PM »
I also got numbness in some parts of the upper lip after double jaw surgery. Not sure if permanent, but it surprised my surgeon who claims permanent numbness in this part is very rare. A bigger issue for me is the feeling of tightness around the healed surgical incisions in my mouth, it's annoying at best. 

Rikenen

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 03:19:43 AM »
Outstanding result