Author Topic: Airway Question  (Read 1479 times)

Picollo30

Airway Question
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
i've been to the surgeon today, he said i need more 3 weeks of liquid/soft foods diet before i start chewing normally, he also told me i need some orthodontic adjustments to correct my bite.

I dont know if those 3 weeks will be enough, because i notice when i take the rubber bands off that my jaws are very stiff and i have much difficulty opening my mouth. Is it because the muscles are still weak? I forgot to ask him about exercises i could do to strenghten my jaws.

About the topic:

One thing i dont understand is that i've seen my new ceph, and he showed that when i used to have a 4.4 mm airway i now have a 13.8 mm airway, it's a huge improvement but despite my maxilla and jaws being moved forward and rotated to open the airway i dont see a big difference in my face cosmetically why is that? is it because he didnt perform the sliding genio? He told me he performed a genioglossus muscle advancement but my chin only moved forward a bit, im kinda dissapointed with it , because i will have to pay to have an implant or a sliding genio.

The surgery was done on a public hospital, how do i get hold of the lateral ceph so i can show you guys the differences in before after?

Picollo30

Re: Airway Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:21 PM »
another thing, i have a considerable ammount of fat under my chin, i'm not fat but i tend to get a double chin easily if i dont work out, can it be hiding some improvements?

one thing i notice is the jaw symmetry, before when i wore my sunglasses i noticed that the sunglasses temple was larger on the right side of my face and tighter on the left side, now the temples are even on my face.

Also my slight gummy smile disapeared completely, although now my upper lip hides a bit of the front teeth when i smile (like it sagged a little), but hopefuly it's just too early to say its final.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:22:01 PM by Picollo30 »

kjohnt

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:09:13 PM »
It could be a few things, but remember that you are early post-op and swollen, and maybe more than you realize:

- Should have gotten genio because chin deficient relative to lower incisors
or
- Not enough CCW rotation
or
- Upper lip and maxillary area swollen so currently it looks further advanced relative to mandible/chin than it is

Contact surgeon for ceph.  It's probably the latter, but you need to get radiographs to see.  These are good questions for your surgeon.

Also, what were your exact movements again?  How much advancements?  How much maxillary impaction and/or downgrafting for the rotation?

Picollo30

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:58:03 PM »
i will try to get a copy of the ceph and post here

as for the sliding genio, i already contacted my orthodontist and he knows a good surgeon who is willing to do it, but only after 3/4 months so i can mend without problems. I dont want an implant, i want my chin bone advanced, nothing dramatic just to have some harmony between my nose/chin, as my original surgeon didnt care about the cosmetic impact of a sliding genio on my face and only did the surgery with osa in mind.

of course im not happy with the result, because having a retruded chin after camouflage treatment was what led me to the maxilo facial, i only discovered that i had OSA after talking with him and sleep test. It's ok for a woman to have a small chin, but for me as a man it's essential and always gives that idea of a class II even if you dont have it anymore.

kjohnt

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
You should post a ceph when you can just so I can see and give an opinion. 

Also, off topic, but it is NOT OKAY for a woman to have a weak chin.  Women with good jaw structure always look better than those without, just the same as men.  All of the best-looking women have strong jaws.  This subject is perpetuated and I don't understand why.

Tezcatli

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:59:35 PM »
You should post a ceph when you can just so I can see and give an opinion. 

Also, off topic, but it is NOT OKAY for a woman to have a weak chin.  Women with good jaw structure always look better than those without, just the same as men.  All of the best-looking women have strong jaws.  This subject is perpetuated and I don't understand why.

It doesn't look as bad on women while it looks terrible on men. The reverse can be said for a class III bite or an overprojected chin, they don't look good on anybody but they look especially hideous on women. That's my opinion.

kjohnt

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
It doesn't look as bad on women while it looks terrible on men. The reverse can be said for a class III bite or an overprojected chin, they don't look good on anybody but they look especially hideous on women. That's my opinion.
I think probably based on the notion that a strong jawline is a masculine trait.  It's been burned into our brains and continues without fail.

I think most folks who say these things will find upon researching pictures and video of various jaw shapes in both genders that noticeable class II and class III cases are equally  undesirable in terms of gender.

Also look up female models and supermodels.  Very nice jaw structure.

Anyway /hijack