Author Topic: Aesthetic regret after jaw surgery *UPDATED  (Read 13315 times)

janeljy16

Aesthetic regret after jaw surgery *UPDATED
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
Hi,
I had double jaw surgery 11 weeks ago and I just did not expect my face to look so different. I'm not sure how much swelling comes into place because I don't know how much swelling is actually left, but I honestly don't recognise myself anymore and I felt MUCH more confident before the surgery. My nose was way sharper before (which weirdly makes so much difference!). I was wondering if anyone has felt the same way as me and found that time resolved this? Thanks!

*Sorry for the zoom in the pics, had to crop out the background
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:16:57 PM by janeljy16 »

Rico

Re: Aesthetic regret after jaw surgery *UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »
the worst you can do is to put comparison photos, where at one you are smiled at the other not ;)

for sure some swelling... too early to judge

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
It's hard to tell what you mean, the pictures are all with different poses and lighting, and we also can't see your profile.

janeljy16

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
Yeah you guys are right, sorry rookie mistake! I'll take another one once I'm back home  :)

Dharma

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »
Right there with you--I'm 8 weeks out and the esthetic results suuuuuuuuuuck. 

It is truly incredible how even subtle nose changes can radically alter the entire gestalt of the face--I too lost a nice sharp nose in my battle with jaw surgery.

JawKid7

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »
I'm 7 months post op and no one recognizes me lol
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Rikenen

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
I'm 7 months post op and no one recognizes me lol

What did you have done? Movements etc?

LyraM45

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
That is the thing with this surgery, soft tissue changes can not be predicted with high confidence and guaranteed for the better.  I personally prefer my old face before surgery, but honestly even if I a not a huge fan of some of the aesthetic changes, it was a fair price to pay to make my bite class I and functional.  Did your functional issues get resolved?

You're also 3 months out.  Give it time and things will settle more, but in general at 3 months you should get starting to get an idea of where things will be. 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
The final look is pretty much obvious at the 8 week mark. Whatever changes remain due to outstanding swelling will be minor.

LyraM45

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
The final look is pretty much obvious at the 8 week mark. Whatever changes remain due to outstanding swelling will be minor.

I'd say that is mostly true, but especially for my nose in both of my surgeries, that had some pretty significant changes still up until 7-8 months post op.

janeljy16

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »
wow didn't think this post would get anymore replies! I decided to put it off for a while and just be patient because I didn't want to get obsessive over the whole appearance thing. 5 months in and I'm still quite unhappy with the result (wider nose, longer/protruding upper lip) but it is what it is, at least I have a good bite now, here are some photos!!! I tried to make them more similar this time but im s**t at this so go easy  ::) :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:53:15 AM by janeljy16 »

cantstop

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
honestly i barely see any difference from the front, if anything you look better in the after pics. and your profile obviously is a major improvement. i don't see what you are talking about

how many mms was your upper jaw advanced btw?

janeljy16

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
honestly i barely see any difference from the front, if anything you look better in the after pics. and your profile obviously is a major improvement. i don't see what you are talking about

how many mms was your upper jaw advanced btw?

I agree that my profile looks much better now, but the frontal/facial difference looks less subtle than it actually is bc selfies don't really show the full changes to your face, compared to real life or candid pics, I would've used candids instead but I don't have any rn. And 5mm or 6 don't remember  :)

janeljy16

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
That is the thing with this surgery, soft tissue changes can not be predicted with high confidence and guaranteed for the better.  I personally prefer my old face before surgery, but honestly even if I a not a huge fan of some of the aesthetic changes, it was a fair price to pay to make my bite class I and functional.  Did your functional issues get resolved?

You're also 3 months out.  Give it time and things will settle more, but in general at 3 months you should get starting to get an idea of where things will be.

Did the aesthetic changes affect you much psychologically?

ditterbo

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »
Alrighty here's my blunt take on those before/after's.. you look a little different, not better or worse, from the front.  I think it's mostly from your cheeks looking fuller and the wider appearing nose tip.  From every other angle though, I bet you look much improved because you had a pretty strong underbite look before.