Author Topic: Aesthetic regret after jaw surgery *UPDATED  (Read 13317 times)

janeljy16

Re: Aesthetic regret after jaw surgery *UPDATED
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »
I agree that my profile looks much better now, but the frontal/facial difference looks less subtle than it actually is bc selfies don't really show the full changes to your face, compared to real life or candid pics, I would've used candids instead but I don't have any rn. And 5mm or 6 don't remember  :)

s**t I meant more subtle***

janeljy16

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Alrighty here's my blunt take on those before/after's.. you look a little different, not better or worse, from the front.  I think it's mostly from your cheeks looking fuller and the wider appearing nose tip.  From every other angle though, I bet you look much improved because you had a pretty strong underbite look before.

you're so right about the cheeks, I never noticed that

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »
Your nose looks fine both before and after.  I was expecting to see a dramatic difference when I first read this post but there isn't.  If your nose changed appearence it is hardly noticeable. You look awesome. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

LyraM45

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »
Did the aesthetic changes affect you much psychologically?

Does it bug me a bit?  Sure.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't.  I do look in the mirror and have trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that my old face is gone.  There is no undoing what has been done to get that back.  Even when changes are for the better, that is a hard thing to wrap your brain around.  Change is still change.  But, I remember I signed up for this.  I understood this was a risk.  And on those days where I hate things like how wide my nose got, I just remind myself it was payment for the functional bite and I can kind of quickly get over it.  I have a feeling with time everything will settle and become the new normal for me.  I believe that is true for most people.  It just takes time.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »
The final look is pretty much obvious at the 8 week mark. Whatever changes remain due to outstanding swelling will be minor.

I'm not sure you can extrapolate from your single jaw surgery results to make a claim about double jaw surgery. Even though I'm inclined to agree with you I think there's some pretty resistant swelling that warps results. I'd say 90 percent of cosmetic improvement is there at 3 months.

However, for nerve regeneration I'd say a year. And I say that because I was in some crazy fights where my face was hit and the nerves didn't get back to 100 percent till a year's end. And that was just a blow. Now think of the trauma of double jaw surgery where your bones and flesh is cut up on a butcher's block and stretched around. That should at least take a year.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »
I'm not sure you can extrapolate from your single jaw surgery results to make a claim about double jaw surgery. Even though I'm inclined to agree with you I think there's some pretty resistant swelling that warps results. I'd say 90 percent of cosmetic improvement is there at 3 months.

However, for nerve regeneration I'd say a year. And I say that because I was in some crazy fights where my face was hit and the nerves didn't get back to 100 percent till a year's end. And that was just a blow. Now think of the trauma of double jaw surgery where your bones and flesh is cut up on a butcher's block and stretched around. That should at least take a year.
I was talking about the aesthetic result only. Upper jaw surgery nerves - sensation in teeth, gums, lips - 18 months is the limit. At least that's what the textbooks say.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »
I was talking about the aesthetic result only. Upper jaw surgery nerves - sensation in teeth, gums, lips - 18 months is the limit. At least that's what the textbooks say.

yeah fair enough i'd agree with that.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
I'm 7 months post op and no one recognizes me lol

god i wish i had that result --i'm the opposite everyone thinks i look the same or worse.

JawKid7

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 05:55:08 PM »
from what I've seen people who have really bad underbites are the ones who look the most different after surgery
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015