Author Topic: Jaw surgery is a big decision, and I'm scared I'll chicken out  (Read 14851 times)

meepmeepmeep

Re: Jaw surgery is a big decision, and I'm scared I'll chicken out
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:55:21 AM »
You keep asking the forum if jaw surgery will shorten your midface.  Didn't you ask the surgeon you consulted with this question since it is your main goal? You should be very upfront with your surgeon about your hopes/expectations or you risk being doubly disappointed.
Imho, you will not achieve what you are seeking with jaw surgery. It may shorten the skeletal distance between your nose and mouth with impaction but then you will probably end up with soft tissue issues that can't be 100% resolved with other nip/tuck procedures. I wish I understood the anatomy of a long midface because I have unattractive proportions, much much worse than yours. I guess it depends on nose length but many women with longer noses are still gorgeous. So, idk.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
i will be %100 honest at this post. You were cute when you post old photos but at last photo u call ''hideous'' is bad.I think its cuz of hair. And u go jaw surgery for what? Im just checking ur jaw cant see anything bad. You are normal and mayve above avarage but you want to be have perfect midface i understand.I cant tell a surgery can worsen or give better results.

How is that pic of her "hideous" and how is it "bad".  She has beautiful eyes, her nose is perfect and cute and has absolutely no lumps or bumps like she said it does.  I personally dont like the blond hair or the sunglasses but I wouldn't say that makes her look "bad".  Bad should be reserved for people who unfortunately are just generally unattractive.  She is clearly an attractive girl who looks better in some pictures than she does in others but that doesn't necessarily mean they are "bad" looking.  We all look better in some picture than others. 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

JimmyTheGent

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
You keep asking the forum if jaw surgery will shorten your midface.  Didn't you ask the surgeon you consulted with this question since it is your main goal? You should be very upfront with your surgeon about your hopes/expectations or you risk being doubly disappointed.
Imho, you will not achieve what you are seeking with jaw surgery. It may shorten the skeletal distance between your nose and mouth with impaction but then you will probably end up with soft tissue issues that can't be 100% resolved with other nip/tuck procedures. I wish I understood the anatomy of a long midface because I have unattractive proportions, much much worse than yours. I guess it depends on nose length but many women with longer noses are still gorgeous. So, idk.

Wouldn't SARPE stretch your lips horizontally thus making the philtrum shorter? 
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

RedLips

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »

I need to ask about SARPE, thanks

ditterbo

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
I'll echo what a few others have said-- jaw surgery is no joke, and primarily it is not for aesthetics.  There was a section in my surgeons consent forms that explicitly explain how soft tissue changes can not be predicted.  In my experience going through this myself (twice!) and helping other patients out through it the last 3 years, there are times when not only do you not get much change in the aesthetics and soft tissue, but you may end up not liking the changes at all, especially the changes with the nose.

This is an incredibly risky and difficult procedure.  When it goes badly, you risk being in a really bad place if you were doing this only for aesthetics.  My opinion is that this surgery get reserved for only the most severe of cases.  Cases where you are in so much pain, can't function, and have reached rock bottom and have nothing to lose by gambling on this surgery and it's associated risks.  My advice to patients who are doing this for mostly aesthetics is to learn to love yourself first.  Even if you go through with this.  You need to be in a good place before proceeding, because if you are not, then that will continue even after the physical you is changed.

I think you are beautiful, but I know we are each our own worst critics and at the end of the day it matters how you feel.

By that reasoning, thinkingme and I should just continue the camouflage route. BTW thinkingme, my chin looks aligned with my lips now but it took a 12mm projection chin implant :o.  My pre-plastic surgery profile looks almost identical to yours.

So if I were to agree with you Lyra (because I kinda do), no one in my thread told me to avoid jaw surgery for aesthetic reasons, while everyone here is telling her to avoid it.    Maybe it's my skeletal malocclusion that people agree should be fixed with bimax, but camaflouge orthodontics with little to no medical repercussions downgrades that issue back to one of simple aesthetics. I never claimed to be at rock bottom or anything of the sort, so why would people unanimously recommend I go through w/bimax?

It seems like there's a camp of people who do bimax purely for aesthetics, because they have retrognathia and can expect an improvement in profile if nothing else, and then there's everyone else that saves bimax for serious medical reasons as you described.  Am I right in assuming that?   I've also heard bimax is the foundation upon which you can then benefit from plastic surgery.... which to me sounds like a money pit and hell on earth to do SO much surgery and risk so much on a perfectly functional, and maybe not absolutely grotesque looking face. 

But maybe I'm overly cynical and cautious because all it took was a simple chin implant to ruin my only good feature, that being my smile (lower lip paralysis). :(  The rhinoplasty was one step forward, 2 steps back from either loss of facial fat or osteotomies causing me to lose some mid-face support.

To the OP, I also don't see how you'd benefit from bimax.  Have you gotten a ceph x-ray done or even shown us a side profile shot?  I think you need to reevaluate what it is exactly you don't like about your face.  Bimax is a whole other world of hurt compared to what you've experienced so far with plastic surgery.   I actually prefer you without the heavy makeup, fake eyelashes etc.. you look really good in all your shots, and judging by your collar bone show you are also in reasonably good shape.  Dig deep and contemplate why you need to put all you have going for you at risk with more surgery, especially the nuclear option (imo) of bimax surgery.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:18:32 PM by ditterbo »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:44 PM »
No.

meepmeepmeep

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
No.

yeah, i also think no. your upper lip isn't a knitted sweater. a wider upper dental arch may aide in providing more support for the upper lip but i don't think it will make it shorter.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »
Jaw Surgery (NOR ANY OTHER SURGERY) will shorten your face in the way you want it to.

There's really nothing you can do about it. In fact I think your face may look a bit longer after jaw surgery. As for other advice you look fine. Don't get more surgery cause you'll start looking like a freak, you're just like two steps away from that.

SJay

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 02:32:02 AM »
I read your post, and had a look at the photos. You don't like the way you look, but I can't help but feel this is in part due to the way people have reacted to you online (to a particular version of you presented in a particular photo)... who knows who these people are, or what their motives are. You can't pin down exactly what it is you don't like, and that's because there isn't actually anything 'wrong'. When I look at your photos, I see pretty eyes and an even prettier smile... that's it! The red tint to your hair complements your complexion, and I think a natural looking is good for you, it looks more classical and attractive in it's own way.

ps. Ha, I hope you do chicken out!

RedLips

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 03:49:29 AM »
I read your post, and had a look at the photos. You don't like the way you look, but I can't help but feel this is in part due to the way people have reacted to you online (to a particular version of you presented in a particular photo)... who knows who these people are, or what their motives are. You can't pin down exactly what it is you don't like, and that's because there isn't actually anything 'wrong'. When I look at your photos, I see pretty eyes and an even prettier smile... that's it! The red tint to your hair complements your complexion, and I think a natural looking is good for you, it looks more classical and attractive in it's own way.

ps. Ha, I hope you do chicken out!

Thank you. And I've always been insecure about my long midface. I just didn't think it was as bad or as ugly as people online seemed to think. I was never delusional enough to think I was "model-looking," but it hurt to hear my face was "not conventionally attractive" or "passably cute." I posted lots of photos, not just one. And they were my "best" photos. Even you said "attractive in its own way," meaning not in a traditional way. I'm not vain or shallow when it comes to anyone else, but there's something that just gives me anxiety about my own appearance and drives me to improve it.

thinkingme

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 04:08:44 AM »
By that reasoning, thinkingme and I should just continue the camouflage route. BTW thinkingme, my chin looks aligned with my lips now but it took a 12mm projection chin implant :o.  My pre-plastic surgery profile looks almost identical to yours.

So if I were to agree with you Lyra (because I kinda do), no one in my thread told me to avoid jaw surgery for aesthetic reasons, while everyone here is telling her to avoid it.    Maybe it's my skeletal malocclusion that people agree should be fixed with bimax, but camaflouge orthodontics with little to no medical repercussions downgrades that issue back to one of simple aesthetics. I never claimed to be at rock bottom or anything of the sort, so why would people unanimously recommend I go through w/bimax?

It seems like there's a camp of people who do bimax purely for aesthetics, because they have retrognathia and can expect an improvement in profile if nothing else, and then there's everyone else that saves bimax for serious medical reasons as you described.  Am I right in assuming that?   I've also heard bimax is the foundation upon which you can then benefit from plastic surgery.... which to me sounds like a money pit and hell on earth to do SO much surgery and risk so much on a perfectly functional, and maybe not absolutely grotesque looking face. 

But maybe I'm overly cynical and cautious because all it took was a simple chin implant to ruin my only good feature, that being my smile (lower lip paralysis). :(  The rhinoplasty was one step forward, 2 steps back from either loss of facial fat or osteotomies causing me to lose some mid-face support.

To the OP, I also don't see how you'd benefit from bimax.  Have you gotten a ceph x-ray done or even shown us a side profile shot?  I think you need to reevaluate what it is exactly you don't like about your face.  Bimax is a whole other world of hurt compared to what you've experienced so far with plastic surgery.   I actually prefer you without the heavy makeup, fake eyelashes etc.. you look really good in all your shots, and judging by your collar bone show you are also in reasonably good shape.  Dig deep and contemplate why you need to put all you have going for you at risk with more surgery, especially the nuclear option (imo) of bimax surgery.

jaw surgery is not aesthetic. genioplasty is aesthetic. Yes jaw surgery come with big aesthetic outcome because it fix ur skeletal problem. If there is a reason and maybe your teeth camouflaged naturally and u have no functional issue but you can get surgery.
and redlips. It wont worth it to be honest. Ur mid face and philtrum is good normal pretty etc. Pls dont go surgery

JimmyTheGent

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:41 AM »

Your lower lip is paralyzed  from a chin implant?  Thats horrible and scary.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 02:32:59 AM »
So its been a while since I visited this forum. I have to comment on this thread because I find it incredibly sad. And Im not blaming OP but jaw surgery is for people with jaw deformities that alter their quality of life which OP does not appear to have. The fact that such a pretty girl(who may or may not be model material, seriously that is very subjective) wants to undergo corrective jaw surgery for reasons that have nothing to do with the functional impact of said surgery or even common aesthetic issues associated with it, makes me feel sad about the society we live in. At the end of the day it is your body and I have no right to tell you what to do, but if it were me I would just enjoy my life and be grateful that I did not have a true issue that corrective jaw surgery is a good treatment for.

Bobbit

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2016, 06:37:10 AM »
So its been a while since I visited this forum. I have to comment on this thread because I find it incredibly sad. And Im not blaming OP but jaw surgery is for people with jaw deformities that alter their quality of life which OP does not appear to have. The fact that such a pretty girl(who may or may not be model material, seriously that is very subjective) wants to undergo corrective jaw surgery for reasons that have nothing to do with the functional impact of said surgery or even common aesthetic issues associated with it, makes me feel sad about the society we live in. At the end of the day it is your body and I have no right to tell you what to do, but if it were me I would just enjoy my life and be grateful that I did not have a true issue that corrective jaw surgery is a good treatment for.

Thank you for saying that - -  and saying it well !    It needed to be said, but everybody was / has been "dancing" around the issue.

thinkingme

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 07:43:10 AM »
Thank you for saying that - -  and saying it well !    It needed to be said, but everybody was / has been "dancing" around the issue.

We said it. We said op has no jaw deformity. She is already pretty beatiful girl. And i cant understand which surgeon or ortho accept asurgery with her. I get refused from same doctors with a recessed lower jaw and bad bite bad teeth angles etc. and they can go surgery with a girl have like a perfect occlusion and perfect jaw harmony. This is not ethic.