Author Topic: Is my maxilla recessed/should I have had upper jaw surgery  (Read 9226 times)

jawprobs16

Re: Is my maxilla recessed/should I have had upper jaw surgery
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 06:36:09 AM »
So if my cheekbones are deficient does that mean my maxilla is recessed? That is my main concern. I'm not too concerned about my nose or anything like that. My chin does feel a bit wide. I don't know if that's because the upper jaw should have been brought forward or I'm swollen or that's just how my bone structure is

jawprobs16

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 06:38:43 AM »
So many people keep telling me my upper jaw is fine and that advancing it would adversely affect me. So I don't know what to tjink

Vic

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 07:13:06 AM »
Your maxilla definitely is not recessed. Why do you think it is?

jawprobs16

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:11 AM »
Because I feel like my upper set of teeth don't project forward a lot. I think that may be due to the braces. I also feel like when I smile or laugh, my jaw and chin look really bulky so I think it's due to my maxilla being recessed but I may be wrong.

Vic

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 07:51:52 AM »
They project forward more than enough

jawprobs16

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Do braces just tend to retract incisors a bit? And what about my chin and jaw looking bulky? Do u think that's just my bone structure??

jawprobs16

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »
For example in these photos I feel like everything looks setback. I keep comparing myself to other people I'm around.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:57:26 AM by jawprobs16 »

Vic

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »
It doesn't look setback at all. Your smiling in the pic so when you smile the muscles around your mouth tighten and pull the soft tissue closer to the bone. You look fine though, you've not actually got a gummy smile. Have you got a profile pic exactly side on without you smiling?

jawprobs16

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »
Yes I do
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:57:52 AM by jawprobs16 »

anona_mz

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
I think your projection is fine. As for your chin, I have a similar problem when I smile my chin seems to get wider. I think its the muscles as Vic pointed out. Maybe Botox to help relax muscles would help, but I dont know how it would affect smiling. Also Botox is expensive since you have to keep getting it to maintain results. A genioplasty might help if its a bone issue, but if its soft tissue I dont know. Maybe you should consult a PS? Im hoping that my Lefort 1 will help solve my issue with my chin but now I dont think it will. Im not too worried with it, I think that no one really notices it as much as I do. Im just worried that after jaw surgery is done Im going to focus more on my other flaws and want to get them fixed as well. Seems like everyone on this board is obsessed with perfection (so am I) lol.

jawprobs16

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »
What malocclusion do you have now? See that's why I was thinking that my upper jaw would fix that issue, but then again I feel like that doesn't make a difference. I know a woman who had double jaw surgery and she still had the same issues with her chin. I'm just hoping that it's swelling. I plan to ask my surgeon about it soon. It's not so much chasing perfection, I just want this all to be worth it and for me to be happy in the end. I feel like I've lost confidence since this surgery and I honestly would rather look how i looked before to be honest. Something just seems off about my face to me.

Vic

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »
Your profile is right for you ethnicity. What do you feel is the issue with your chin? do you think its too flat and doesn't have the     
curve around it? Having upper jaw surgery won't do anything to your chin only a sliding genioplasty can change it.

jawprobs16

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »
I feel like it is very bulky and round when I laugh or smile. It makes the Lower half of my face look huge.

anona_mz

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »
Well I had an underbite but got it corrected with elastics when I was from 11-17yrs. My bite now is almost class I after 2 1/2 yrs 2nd roumd braces. I still have stubborn crossbite on my right which makes my whole face assymetrical (esp when I smile). This is what bothers me most, as my ortho flared out my teeth and made the assymetry worst than prior to my 2nd round. Which is why I am now on a mish to get jaw surgery (although my ortho thinks i dont 'need' it). My jaw itself may be a class III. You have a nice bite and beautiful smile, which Im sure everyone notices and not your chin. However if it would make you happier I would def look into genioplatsy. Im thinking of that myself if the final results arent good enough. Korea seems to have nice results with chin feminization. I mean they have a technique that makes the jaw softer and less prominent. One other thing I was reading about was buccal fat removal, but I dont think it applies to you.

jawprobs16

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2016, 06:10:58 PM »
I don't know something just doesn't look quite right about my face. That's why single jaw surgery sint very common. It's not aesthetically pleasing.