Author Topic: Unhappy with BSSO for underbite--should I have gotten my maxilla advanced  (Read 3060 times)

jawprobs16

Hello everyone. I have posted on here before but I am so upset/unsatisfied with my jaw surgery. I had a BSSO to correct my underbite 3 months ago and I believe that my maxilla should have been advanced as well. I truly believe I now look worse after his surgery because my upper jaw looks recesses and pushed back. My teeth aren't as prominent as they should be from the side and from the front and when I talk it looks like I barely have any tooth show. I keep bringing this up to my surgeon but he keeps claiming that everything is fine but I don't believe him.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:49:29 AM by jawprobs16 »

jawprobs16

Here are more pictures
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:47:34 AM by jawprobs16 »

marcus3415

Rule of thumb is don't judge your appearance until at least 6 months post op. I think you look nice

jawprobs16

There's nothing left to judge. I'm just concerned that my surgeon didn't do everything he was supposed to do for me to get a favorable aesthetic result. I'm worried that my maxilla is setback.

marcus3415

Same thing happened to me and my maxilla was advanced 7mm

jawprobs16

Wait what same thing?

jawprobs16

Also when I smile my lower chin just looks so extremely wide! I don't know if that's due to just my bone structure of because my upper jaw is set back in relation to everything

girl

From your side profile, it looks like you need more setback of the lower jaw with chin recontouring (shortening it and shaping it). Your mouth posture hasn't been "corrected" sufficiently by the looks of things.

jawprobs16

From your side profile, it looks like you need more setback of the lower jaw with chin recontouring (shortening it and shaping it). Your mouth posture hasn't been "corrected" sufficiently by the looks of things.

If they setback my lower jaw too much that could cause sleep apnea and close my airway. I don't think shortening is the problem I have pretty good chin height, I just think that my chin needs to wing out more via chin wing osteotomy.