Author Topic: Double jaw surgery, lip incampetence, overbite, gummy smile  (Read 18552 times)

sarzo14

I had my consultation with a surgeon and my orthodontist. I've never had braces since my teeth were straight. After my 18Th birthday (maybe even before that) my wisdom teeth started growing and my teeth started getting a little bit crooked (my left fronth tooth is moving a little forward). I've always had a gummy smile and a lip incompetence. I never knew I could fix it until I started researching. So now the surgeon said he Will impact my upper teeth (a little more in the back than in the fronth), but I thought that was for an open bite? I don't have an open bite. Plus he was going to bring my lower jaw a little forward (that ok, because of my overbite). But I don't undersand why he said he was going to impact the back of my teeth more than the fronth. Does anyone have a clue what he's on about? (the moment I was there I didn't worry about this because he was so sure that that was right in my case)
Have are my pictures:
- gummy smile
- gummy smile
- lip incompetence
- biting down
- biting down from the side (teeth showing)
- biting down from the side (no teeth showing)

I have 10mm of gummy smile showing, my surgeon said he can bring it down to 4mm of gum showing and no less. I'm also thinking of getting my crowns lengthened after surgery (I will see then how much the gummy smile bothers me).
What do you think, will I look much better when this is all done. I do hope I can close my mouth but the gummy smile is the reason for me thinking I need this operation. My insurance is covering everything except braces (which I will probably get in 1-2months).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:32:40 PM by sarzo14 »

PloskoPlus

Re: Double jaw surgery, lip incampetence, overbite
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »
Over impaction is worse than under impaction. 4 mm is acceptable for a woman as long as the lip incompetence is fixed. Your lip will elongate with age anyway.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »
Over impaction is worse than under impaction. 4 mm is acceptable for a woman as long as the lip incompetence is fixed. Your lip will elongate with age anyway.

yeah agreed, but wow you have one of the gummiest smiles I've ever seen you have more gum than teeth showing.

sarzo14

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:36:17 PM »
yeah agreed, but wow you have one of the gummiest smiles I've ever seen you have more gum than teeth showing.
That's the main reason I'm thinking of getting it. My mother has almost the same smile (maybe she shows 1-2mm less but I got it from her). I'm really worried my children will have the same problem and will also have to get surgery :(
By over and under impaction you mean it's better to move my jaw/teeth too much up than too little. Sory english is not my first language ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:38:06 PM by sarzo14 »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:58:45 PM »
That's the main reason I'm thinking of getting it. My mother has almost the same smile (maybe she shows 1-2mm less but I got it from her). I'm really worried my children will have the same problem and will also have to get surgery :(By over and under impaction you mean it's better to move my jaw/teeth too much up than too little. Sory english is not my first language ;)
No, it's better to impact ("impact" means vertically shorten) the upper jaw too little than too much.  Showing no gum at all when smiling is ageing, especially in women.  There are quite a few cases you can see on the web where there is no gum show after impaction.  It doesn't look great.  The golden standard is 1-2 mm of gum when smiling and 1mm of tooth tip show at rest when your mouth is slightly open.  More maybe acceptable, especially in women. It's generally a sign of youth, as the lip lengthens with age and you may have zero tooth show at rest and no gum show when smiling.

A gummy smile can be caused by maxillary excess (definitely the case with you, because of your lip strain) and short crowns (probably the case with you as well).  Google Jessica Pare.  She has a very gummy smile, but no lip strain or jaw issues at all.  She just seems to have very short crowns.

sarzo14

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »
A gummy smile can be caused by maxillary excess (definitely the case with you, because of your lip strain) and short crowns (probably the case with you as well).  Google Jessica Pare.  She has a very gummy smile, but no lip strain or jaw issues at all.  She just seems to have very short crowns.
My surgeon said he can lengten my crown 1-2mm when the surgery is done and I think I still need it. But no more than that.

Does anyone know why my surgeon said he wants to impact the back of my teeth more than the fronth?? He said he wants to shorten the fronth 4mm and the back 6mm. This is nothing set in stone since I don't have my braces.

Also since I don't have really crooked teets, how long do you think I will have braces before my jaw jurgery (could it be I have braces less than 1 year)?

LyraM45

Re: Double jaw surgery, lip incampetence, overbite, gummy smile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »
I pretty much started with the same issues as you.  I let it go until my late 20's when my joints started to bug me, the few teeth that touched in the back were needing full restoration, and my headaches were bad.  My breathing/snoring was getting bad too. 

My treatment has been long and eventful (definitely not the typical case with typical complications), but I am finally nearing the end of it if you want to take a look and compare what things look like now before/after and hear about some of the issues/risks with all of this.  Check out my website:  www.confessionsofametalmouth.com

LyraM45

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »
PS-- I agree with others that under impaction is better than over impaction.  When I was going in to revision surgery, I discussed this with my surgeon and asked that I not be impacted more (except to level out the cant I was left with from the first surgery) because it eventually ages you.  Plus it was a piece of my old smile I wanted still.  A  gummy smile is a part of who I am and I didn't want to lose that completely.  But as you age, you'll be thankful you have a little more gum than not.  My surgeon said he prefers to do this for all the same reasons.  So, it worked out.

sarzo14

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 12:13:14 AM »
If anyone wants to know what's going on you can check out my blog: https://mynewsmilesurgery.wordpress.com/

sarzo14

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »
*3 weeks postop*

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:57:00 PM »
You're looking AMAZING! Congrats! Would love to see before and after profile views as well.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 05:03:07 PM »
Perfect candidate for what you got.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

sarzo14

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:52 AM »
Sorry for not posting the profile. Here's my profile, smiling and relaxed :)

Just noticed the pics are switched, but I think you can see which ane if before and which after :)

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
Sorry for not posting the profile. Here's my profile, smiling and relaxed :)

Just noticed the pics are switched, but I think you can see which ane if before and which after :)
Amazing results! Happy for you.    :)

some1afterall

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 10:27:06 PM »
You are beautiful! How's your recovery going?