Author Topic: braces and surgery in two different countries  (Read 1332 times)

deputy van halen

braces and surgery in two different countries
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
Has anyone ever had jaw surgery in a different country but had the braces part done where they live?  More specifically, braces in UK, surgery somewhere else? 

I want to have my surgery in Italy but I cannot find an orthodontist in the UK who will work with my surgeon!!  Ugh.  I live in London and have contacted 6 different practices--four ignored me, two said no.   

Btw, hello, newbie here. 

Lazlo

• Private
Re: braces and surgery in two different countries
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:25:01 PM »
Has anyone ever had jaw surgery in a different country but had the braces part done where they live?  More specifically, braces in UK, surgery somewhere else? 

I want to have my surgery in Italy but I cannot find an orthodontist in the UK who will work with my surgeon!!  Ugh.  I live in London and have contacted 6 different practices--four ignored me, two said no.   

Btw, hello, newbie here.

shouldn't be a problem. but contact surgeon first for ortho plan, not the other way around. and then find ortho based on surgeon's plan. this s**t is overblown, the orthodontic movements for surgery are pretty straightfoward. just don't have bicuspids removed.

deputy van halen

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I do have an ortho plan from the surgeon, and emailed it to the orthos, but no luck. I guess I need to be more aggressive and ring them rather than email. 

Why no bicuspid removal?  I'm supposed to get four removed--he said he couldn't do the amount of movement I need without that space. The UK surgeon I consulted said the same--but that one would only move my maxilla 3mm max; I don't think that's enough.  I had a consult with Gunson about 10 years ago and showed his plan to the other surgeons.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

baldguy83

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:37:56 AM »
Don't get any teeth removed from the upper jaw, it often leads to trouble.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 11:37:18 PM »
Im in the process of trying to work this out myself. Im attending school in Israel. I have consulted with a surgeon in the US(before I left). He put me in contact with an orthodontist who knows some orthos in Israel. Now that I know where I am living for this year I am going to contact some of them. The plan is to time it so I am surgery ready for one of my breaks, fly back to the US have the surgery and hopefully be recovered enough at the end of the break to fly back to Israel. I hope this all works out.