Author Topic: Maxilla shifted to the right  (Read 17130 times)

x

• Private
Maxilla shifted to the right
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
Is this a maxillary yaw and can it be repositioned during surgery?

Looking at pics of me smiling, my jaw midlines don't match up but it looks like the maxilla is shifted to the right where the mandible midline is relatively in the right place. It's consistent with the appearance of my face as well as the right side looks more developed and full whereas the left looks hollow and nearly deformed lol

CK

• Private
Re: Maxilla shifted to the right
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
uh jaw surgery should correct an asymmetrical jaw but won't touch the actual development of the side of your face. those bones, im guessing, grew along with the jaw.

i have the same one side much more developed and full than the other. sux.

x

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
uh jaw surgery should correct an asymmetrical jaw but won't touch the actual development of the side of your face. those bones, im guessing, grew along with the jaw.

i have the same one side much more developed and full than the other. sux.
That's not what I meant, but i do think the overall shift to one side of my jaws has made my left cheekbone more prominent than my right due to the fact the soft skin on that side has to stretch a further distance than the right, making it more taut

which is my point, I think soft tissue gets effected to some degree by the yaw and improper position, I'm just not sure how correcting the imbalance will effect it

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:58:09 AM by Euphoria »

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:33:31 AM »
That's not what I meant, but i do think the overall shift to one side of my jaws has made my left cheekbone more prominent than my right due to the fact the soft skin on that side has to stretch a further distance than the right, making it more taut

which is my point, I think soft tissue gets effected to some degree by the yaw and improper position, I'm just not sure how correcting the imbalance will effect it

i was referring to the same issue. soft tissue placement is a direct reflection of the hard tissue. so soft tissue asymmetries are almost always bone-development related.

x

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:36:10 AM »
i was referring to the same issue. soft tissue placement is a direct reflection of the hard tissue. so soft tissue asymmetries are almost always bone-development related.

by asymmetry I'm saying my lower 2/3rd right facial shape is more rounded while my left shape is oblong and and angles hard toward my chin. The shape seems a direct result of jaw asymmetry to me

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:54:52 AM »
by asymmetry I'm saying my lower 2/3rd right facial shape is more rounded while my left shape is oblong and and angles hard toward my chin. The shape seems a direct result of jaw asymmetry to me

yes that is what i was trying to describe. i mean...i don't think it is fair to say all or any asymmetry is necessarily the fault of the jaw.

but if the upper jaw didnt grow properly, then it can be safely assumed that the development of the upper/midface may have been undermined.

it is entirely unpredictable though...like anything growth-related.

x

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
yes that is what i was trying to describe. i mean...i don't think it is fair to say all or any asymmetry is necessarily the fault of the jaw.

but if the upper jaw didnt grow properly, then it can be safely assumed that the development of the upper/midface may have been undermined.

True... just makes sense to me that if the jaws are shifted to the right then the left side below the cheeks would be a bit hollow/concave. In my head at least it makes sense  ;D

the left side is also the side my cross bite is on
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:13:48 AM by Euphoria »

Dempah

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »
My jaw is also shifted. Do we have the same problem?
What I dont get is that it seems like I have a Class III relation on my right side and a class II on my left side. Am I correct and is it because of the cant or the lower jaw?

x

• Private
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
My jaw is also shifted. Do we have the same problem?
What I dont get is that it seems like I have a Class III relation on my right side and a class II on my left side. Am I correct and is it because of the cant or the lower jaw?

Yes we have the exact same problem except my right side is class II while my left side is class III, only difference. here's my occlusion so you can see for yourself

http://i.imgur.com/RBqkcvv.jpg?2

Dempah

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
Alright. You seem to have an open bite also, do you have a long face due to this? Do you have a treatment plan?

What I dont get is that I have a short face due to the deep bite according to the maxilofacial surgeons I've met. But I also have a gummy smile, so wouldnt an impaction on the maxilla just make it worse?

And also, because of the shifted jaw, my nose is slighty off. Do you have the same?

x

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »
Alright. You seem to have an open bite also, do you have a long face due to this? Do you have a treatment plan?

What I dont get is that I have a short face due to the deep bite according to the maxilofacial surgeons I've met. But I also have a gummy smile, so wouldnt an impaction on the maxilla just make it worse?

And also, because of the shifted jaw, my nose is slighty off. Do you have the same?
I don't know I don't have much of a gummy smile so I don't think I have vertical maxillary excess but my face is longer than I'd like it to be because of the open bite, I'm hoping rotation will shorten it. No treatment plan.

As I understand it impaction shortens the lower 1/3rd so if your concern is with the shortness of the midface it shouldn't get shorter I think.

My nose is slightly crooked (deviated nasal septum too) but aesthetically doesn't bother me I think it's negligible

Dempah

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
By the way Euphoria, I feel the same way as you do regarding the two very different sides of the profile. My right side is so more fuller and way more balanced than my left side which has a very hollow midface.The chin on my left side is almost non-existent due to the deviation making my left profile more convex.

x

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
By the way Euphoria, I feel the same way as you do regarding the two very different sides of the profile. My right side is so more fuller and way more balanced than my left side which has a very hollow midface.The chin on my left side is almost non-existent due to the deviation making my left profile more convex.
yeah I think this picture illustrates the asymmetry well though mine isn't as noticeable and bad as hers, but it shows how the lower 2/3rds of the face are shape by jaw positioning

actually just go here to the Facial Asymmetry (Maxilla & Mandible) and you'll see the difference correction can make, it looks fantastic: http://www.nanaimobraces.com/aqua.php

ExtractionsRuinFaces

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »

Can the eyes become asymmetrical if the maxilla offsets the midline of jaws and nose? I think my entire face grew more to on side due to a crossbite on one side of my mouth :|

CK

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »
Can the eyes become asymmetrical if the maxilla offsets the midline of jaws and nose? I think my entire face grew more to on side due to a crossbite on one side of my mouth :|

well...it would be helpful to see your picture.

generally no, the eyes shouldn't be asymmetrical. top/down asymmetry is common but it is usually extremely...extremely small and not noticeable.

BUT, if your upper jaw didn't grow properly, and you suspect one side grew at a different rate, then it might make your eyes appear off center because one side of your face is smaller/larger than the other.

i have the same thing. unfortunately this cannot be corrected. few people have 100% perfect symmetry, and it doesn't matter as much as proportions.