Author Topic: How does insurance work?  (Read 2750 times)

tdawg

• Private
How does insurance work?
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
Im looking at the oral surgeons in NY under my policy and there arent a lot of the more well known surgeons on there. Lets say that I was to go to Dr. Super or Dr. Sachs, neither who are listed would my insurance be accepted or not? I hear about people getting out of network surgeons with insurance covering it, but is that only when there are no other options in network?

neferkitti

• Private
Re: How does insurance work?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
Hey tdawg,
That's too difficult to say without knowing what kind of policy you have and under which holder. There are so many variations. Some policies will cover out of network procedures but at a much lower percentage. You'd probably have to get pre-approval first, too. Read the fine print of your particular insurance policy. Good luck!

DolphinBite

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:24 PM »
And fight if they turn you down! It took my 7 months to get my surgery approved!!!

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:39:06 AM »
It all depends on your policy. Some accept jaw surgery, some do not. Some set an allowance on jaw surgery for example 2-3000... It can get tricky and messy. First see if your surgeon takes your type of insurance. Second have them file a claim or send a request to your insurance company. Third lots of back and forth unless your lucky and approved off the bat !

Good luck
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.