Author Topic: Can jaw surgery help my appearance and how recessed is my jaw?  (Read 2108 times)

jaw

Can jaw surgery help my appearance and how recessed is my jaw?
« on: September 13, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »
I currently have an overbite and braces to fix that. I talked to my current orthodontist and he recommended against jaw surgery because 'it doesn't look bad enough'. However, I've been reading a lot into jaw surgery and how that can help appearance. I am wondering, how recessed is my jaw and could I benefit from something like a double jaw surgery?

It seems like it would fix my maxilla and lower jaw recession and fix my lip incompetence. I really want to see if this is a good option as I would much rather do the jaw surgery first before jumping into a rhinoplasty.

pics (warning: gross)

http://imgur.com/ryMCADR
http://imgur.com/PQoC8Jv
http://imgur.com/NvoegGN
http://imgur.com/4LVHXNN

Thanks.

UnderMunch

Re: Can jaw surgery help my appearance and how recessed is my jaw?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
By the remarks on your photo, I must assume that you visit a lot of the "let's find reasons hate ourselves"-forums(that's what I call them) or have a slight case of BDD.

The truth is that your jaw might look somewhat recessed, but nothing out of the ordinary. And honestly, you really should only trust a qualified max fac surgeon on this subject, not delusional the BDDers that roam these forums. You need a proper xray or ct 3d scan to make any meaningful judgements(yes, they are pricey, but necessary).

That being said, I definitely would never listen to any orthodontist as they really only want to sell you their services and nothing else. What they do is make your teeth fit your jaw and look straight, even if you'd be better off fixing your jaw first.

tldr: Get off the Internet and look up a good jaw surgeon.

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
By the remarks on your photo, I must assume that you visit a lot of the "let's find reasons hate ourselves"-forums(that's what I call them) or have a slight case of BDD.

The truth is that your jaw might look somewhat recessed, but nothing out of the ordinary. And honestly, you really should only trust a qualified max fac surgeon on this subject, not delusional the BDDers that roam these forums. You need a proper xray or ct 3d scan to make any meaningful judgements(yes, they are pricey, but necessary).

That being said, I definitely would never listen to any orthodontist as they really only want to sell you their services and nothing else. What they do is make your teeth fit your jaw and look straight, even if you'd be better off fixing your jaw first.

tldr: Get off the Internet and look up a good jaw surgeon.

I dono, max facs doctors can't make collective decisions on this kind of surgery either.  I've had an almost equal number of doctors tell me not to get bimax as I've had max facs who, without a doubt, told me to get it.  This forum (and others) told me to get it, but with barely any basis in medical necessity.

If you don't have x-rays to share here OP, you're really not leaving us with a whole lot to review.  Your face is just one of many parts to the picture.

Unfortunately for OP and me, there don't appear to be any 'alarming' medical indicators for jaw surgery.. welcome to the club. (Just based on your pictures alone)

UnderMunch

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 03:54:50 AM »
On second thought, I have to agree: It really seems almost random what doctors conclude, and especially orthodontists seem to be deliberately trying to settle you on some mixed solution of braces, sanding down teeth or even removing some.