Author Topic: upper jaw surgery and upturned nose  (Read 4285 times)

slidinggenio

upper jaw surgery and upturned nose
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:48:27 AM »
does maxilla being brought forward and also impacted cause upturned nose at 100% frequency. Or is it dependent on the movements

JawKid7

Re: upper jaw surgery and upturned nose
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:55:25 AM »
I think if alar cinch is used it prevents it from upturn
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

LyraM45

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:33:34 AM »
Impactions and/or forward movement of the upper jaw is the biggest factor in the nose widening and upturn.  I got a cinch and a v-y closure and still saw significant widening and a little upturn after my first surgery.  But my upper jaw was also over advanced in that surgery too.  It was brought back for revision and another cinch done and I feel like it's better now, but still much wider than what I started with pre op.  Unfortunately it's kind of the cost of doing business if you want to get your bite right and need the fwd/up movements on the top jaw.  For me it's a fair price to pay to make it all functional for the bite, but it may not be for you.  Part of the risk vs. reward you have to weigh. 

David_D

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
Impactions and/or forward movement of the upper jaw is the biggest factor in the nose widening and upturn.  I got a cinch and a v-y closure and still saw significant widening and a little upturn after my first surgery.  But my upper jaw was also over advanced in that surgery too.  It was brought back for revision and another cinch done and I feel like it's better now, but still much wider than what I started with pre op.  Unfortunately it's kind of the cost of doing business if you want to get your bite right and need the fwd/up movements on the top jaw.  For me it's a fair price to pay to make it all functional for the bite, but it may not be for you.  Part of the risk vs. reward you have to weigh.

I agree with this view of the nose aesthetic changes.  I had two jaw surgeries.  In the first the maxilla was brought forward and maybe impacted a bit, and in the second it was further impacted and brought back a bit.  My nose is a lot wider than it was originally.  In my case, I think the nose was originally too thin.  Still, I may get a revision rhinoplasty to narrow it, and try to suture the nose to the underlying structure so that it doesn't widen so much upon facial movement.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
I agree with this view of the nose aesthetic changes.  I had two jaw surgeries.  In the first the maxilla was brought forward and maybe impacted a bit, and in the second it was further impacted and brought back a bit.  My nose is a lot wider than it was originally.  In my case, I think the nose was originally too thin.  Still, I may get a revision rhinoplasty to narrow it, and try to suture the nose to the underlying structure so that it doesn't widen so much upon facial movement.
Do you have any numbness in your upper lip cheeks at all after 2 le forts?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:48 AM »
had massive advancement of 5mm of maxilla no change to nose whatsoever.

David_D

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »
Do you have any numbness in your upper lip cheeks at all after 2 le forts?

I didn't get any loss of sensation in my upper lip or cheeks from the two jaw surgeries.  I have some loss of sensation on the lower lip and chin after the lower jaw surgeries.  My understanding is that that is more common that loss of sensation from the upper jaw surgery.

LyraM45

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:04 AM »
Ditto here.  No loss of feeling after two upper surgeries.  And for the lower I lost a strip along my lower lip/chin and the gums in the same area after the first surgery, and then for revision I got all of my feeling back except for that same strip of numbness I started with left over from the first surgery.  I got really lucky there since you are almost guaranteed to lose more feeling with a revision.

Feel free to check out my before/during/after final treatment comparison write up to see the changes to my nose. 

http://www.confessionsofametalmouth.com/beforeafter-treatments-comparison-and-final-thoughts.html

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
I have surface sensation, but very unpleasant deep seated numbness. My lip just feels like it's filled with rubber. The irony is that I was terrified of numbness and felt like I won the lottery when I was told that I'd be able to get away with single jaw surgery. Now I know that it was a compromise. My skeletal midlines are off. I have a cant (they are minor, but they are there). This is what happens when you fit one jaw to a less than perfect other jaw. My surgeon said that I'm one in s hundred when it comes to upper lip numbness. He had never told me that my surgery was such a compromise. How I hate the pompous jerk. To add insult to injury I have poor tooth show - the whole reason I did the surger in the first place..

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »
I have surface sensation, but very unpleasant deep seated numbness. My lip just feels like it's filled with rubber. The irony is that I was terrified of numbness and felt like I won the lottery when I was told that I'd be able to get away with single jaw surgery. Now I know that it was a compromise. My skeletal midlines are off. I have a cant (they are minor, but they are there). This is what happens when you fit one jaw to a less than perfect other jaw. My surgeon said that I'm one in s hundred when it comes to upper lip numbness. He had never told me that my surgery was such a compromise. How I hate the pompous jerk. To add insult to injury I have poor tooth show - the whole reason I did the surger in the first place..

you may want to consider Dr. Sinn, he was able to produce wonderful tooth show when i was so afraid i'd never have any after the botched orthodontics. i really only have one wish/complaint i wish I was advanced like 5mm more, but perhaps it wasn't possible I don't know.