Author Topic: Which part of the face (lower third or middle) does CCW/CW rotation affect?  (Read 1575 times)

disabledmaxilla

I've read that a CCW rotation of the maxilla can make a face significantly shorter. However, I can not understand if it affects the length of the lower or the middle third of the face.

kjohnt

Re: Which part of the face (lower third or middle) does CCW/CW rotation affect?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:11:58 AM »
Affects entire jaw area, so lower half of face.

Will not necessarily shorten face unless that's what's needed as determined by gummy smile.  Can also lengthen posterior maxilla by downgrafting.

David_D

• Private
Re: Which part of the face (lower third or middle) does CCW/CW rotation affect?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:20:15 AM »
I've read that a CCW rotation of the maxilla can make a face significantly shorter. However, I can not understand if it affects the length of the lower or the middle third of the face.

I think that it impacts to lower two thirds of the face.  I think that conceiving of the face as having an upper, middle, and lower third is useful.  I think the middle third is impacted by counter-clockwise rotation.  I'm pretty sure I've had very significant counter-clockwise rotation, with a shortening of the lower two thirds, and the jawline becoming closer to a horizontal line.

mike888miller

it depends around which axis point the rotation is done