Author Topic: bimax vs chin wing  (Read 3238 times)

mike888miller

bimax vs chin wing
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
Hi guys, I am trying to decide between double jaw and chin wing / sliding genio, obviously prefer the later as it is not as invasive. i need min 18mm of lower jaw projection. the pro for the bimax in my mind is improved breathing and the fact that i can move my receved max forward, the advantage of the chin wing is that i could gain some width

i have an edge on edge bite

if i had bimax and chin wing / genio (same thing really) i would not have to wait as long for the class one to be turned into a class 2

bimax is a much tougher recovery, and two doctor told me chin wing is enough, but they are both conservative

i snorr but am not aware of stopping to breath. i have some of the risk factors, i e small neck and small mandible. A funny thing on that topic, that i have not seen many people mention, is that my since improving my posture, my jaw is now closer to my neck as i am more upright, and this as caused me problems with swalloing, but i am fixing them with exerceises.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

mike888miller

Re: bimax vs chin wing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
bump

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »
Front looks balanced. Profile - are you pulling your chin in?

ascolta

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:57:55 PM »
He's not pulling his chin in, his head is positioned correctly instead of forward which accentuates the jaw recession.

I'd say definitely go for bimax. Your health matters much more than your looks and bimax can fix both, while a chin wing is just camouflage that might not look good and that you might regret later.

diculo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
Both surgeries would help you. But if cost is an issue. Bimax would be more important than chin wing. Preferably bimax first, then ching wing if you do both.

mike888miller

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »
gents -

thanks for the comments.

my plan is now bimax PLUS gne or chinwing. or chin wing plus sandwhich oestomy.

i am also looking at le fort 3, but need to find out more information about it. i had filler in the malar and nose area a few years ago and increased projection in those areas is very helpful. i am aware of two (legends) that have had the lf 3) here, are there more?

i am limited as to how much advancement i can get via the bimax, i am thinking 8mm on top and not much on the bottom sadly, because of the current bite, unless i get lengthy decompensation ortho (or unless a smart bros has another idea, maybe rotation)?

basically, i have given myself a cw rotation inadvertently by fixing my posture. as some of you know your posture, which in most people varies on the daily basis, can cause real destortions when planning surgery, i head gunson measures things again and again and again for this reason.

my head is in the true horizontal, the reason the skin is pressing together below the neck is that i have fixed my posture, and am not holding the head in the same horizontal plane as before. my head is now tilted more forward, which causes the head to become longer and less deep. there are many benefits, but the side profile from the chin up is not among them.  even the doctor yesterday was telling me not to pull in my chin.

another unwanted effect of my postural efforts is that i now have edge on edge bite when in rest, which goes to a class 1 for chewing (which ideally needs to be turned back into a class 1).

so i am limited as to how much advancement i can get via the bimax, i am thinking 8mm on top and not much on the bottom, unless i get lengthy decompensation ortho.

zygotic

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »
Can I ask how you fixed your head posture?

I think you've done the right thing to correct that; this guy for example didn't and following surgery he has low ears and upper eye lid show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApuh09R8Po

I'm pretty much in the same position as you so interested to see how things go with you and what the decompensation ortho might involve.

mike888miller

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
intesteding Point re posture, a doctor told me last week that he notices significant postural improvement in patients that get bimax with significant projection. this makes sence to me, as you can now breath and swallow without jolting you chin Forward and out of the natural plum line, and also your skull is now better balanced on your spine. i started a thread on speficic exercises on this Topic.