Author Topic: Crooked smile  (Read 1423 times)

improvedchin

Crooked smile
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:29:50 PM »
Other than nerve problems, what causes a crooked smile? My lips look symmetrical at rest. It's only when I smile that I have a crooked / asymmetric smile. The right side shows my upper gums. Anyone know of any procedures that could fix this?

Wheatsnax

Re: Crooked smile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:50:50 AM »
muscle weakness. if not then maybe facial muscle imbalance due to canting/asymmetry?

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:01:22 AM »
muscle weakness. if not then maybe facial muscle imbalance due to canting/asymmetry?

How would a patient get diagnosed with one or the other?  (weakness vs motor nerve damage)  I have the same problem since a botched chin implant, and I noticed I can't move my right depressor labii inferioris muscle.

David_D

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:17:12 PM »
I wonder if a dental cant can cause this.

LyraM45

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
Wonder if you're canted.  How far post op are you?  When I got unwired two weeks post op, I thought my crooked smile (which looked like I had a stroke, honestly) was muscle weakness.  Actually ended up that I was significantly canted (and yawed, twisted, torqued and everything else that could be wrong).

kjohnt

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
I have this a bit right now, pre-op.  I believe it to be a muscular issue, but am not certain of that.

improvedchin

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »
Other than x-rays, how do you even determine if you're canted? And if you are indeed canted, is there a way to fix your smile without having bony work done?

David_D

• Private
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »
Other than x-rays, how do you even determine if you're canted? And if you are indeed canted, is there a way to fix your smile without having bony work done?

Here's an easy test:

I have a cant and was looking into this question.  Personally, I think that it depends on the nature of the asymmetry.  If the main thing perceived is alignment of the teeth relative to the lips, then perhaps veneers could address the asymmetry.  If it's something else, and there's a cant, I imagine that bony work/implants would be a means of addressing the asymmetry.

strongjawman

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
I have this a bit right now, pre-op.  I believe it to be a muscular issue, but am not certain of that.

When is your surgery date set for?