Author Topic: Is this a realistic morph of what I could expect from jaw/rhino/oto?  (Read 1863 times)

jaw

Saw a surgeon two weeks ago and his take was to recommend jaw surgery. I am seeing another one next week. I did a basic morph and am wondering if I am playing around too much or if these results are achievable with the 3 procedures I want.

http://imgur.com/z22La1V (before)

http://imgur.com/H2KRnZD (after) (still needs work on the chin/jaw movement was a quick morph)

Rico

Re: Is this a realistic morph of what I could expect from jaw/rhino/oto?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »
IMO  you do not need any surgical intervention. 

Why good looking people want to risk. Any surgery is risky...The surgery is your enemy.

Trader

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »
Yes, it looks realistic. I think an ideally designed and executed jaw surgery would produce even better results.

You need counterclockwise rotation of your upper and lower jaws. Any surgical plan that doesn't induce this rotation will yield poor results. I suggesting consulting with Dr. Gunson to at least get a sense of what surgical movements you need.

strongjawman

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »
Yes, it looks realistic. I think an ideally designed and executed jaw surgery would produce even better results.

You need counterclockwise rotation of your upper and lower jaws. Any surgical plan that doesn't induce this rotation will yield poor results. I suggesting consulting with Dr. Gunson to at least get a sense of what surgical movements you need.

What makes you think he needs CCW?

Trader

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 06:07:44 PM »
What makes you think he needs CCW?

The OP has a convex profile with a downward-pointing chin, which is highly suggestive of a steep occlusal plane. Thus, he needs CCW rotation to achieve the best results.

ditterbo

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 06:56:13 PM »
This guy's jaws barely look recessive.  Like how much forward movement are we looking at, 6mm?  Would a rhino and SG be more bang for buck options in his case?

jaw

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »

Gunson is out of state, should I make the trip out there to see him though?

I am a bit worried. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems moving the lower jaw is all fine but once the upper jaw is moved it changes the appearance of the cheeks. I don't want to lose any more prominence in my cheeks - can a surgeon "preserve" the height? Worst case i would get implants but I don't want to go that route. And the eyes could potentially get a more hallow look, but would that be fixable? I was thinking about looking into orbital rim work (but I have no clue about it) to fix the eyes anyways.

I am just very worried about how the front of my face will turn out.

This guy's jaws barely look recessive.  Like how much forward movement are we looking at, 6mm?  Would a rhino and SG be more bang for buck options in his case?

Genioplasty wouldn't fix the lip incompetence though, and it wouldn't fix the upper jaw which is also recessed.

IMO  you do not need any surgical intervention. 

Why good looking people want to risk. Any surgery is risky...The surgery is your enemy.

Nah. Pretty much decided I want a stronger profile and more proportional features and no longer want to be so self conscious about my recessed jaw and huge nose. At the very least I want rhinoplasty.

Trader

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »

I suspect Gunson would recommend at least 15mm of movement on the pogonion. 20mm wouldn't surprise me either.

The OP, like most people with recessive jaws, carries his head in a forward head posture and his neck in near-permanent extension. If you put him in a more anatomically correct head position, the deficiency of his jaw would be more apparent.

He also has a poor throat length, which is further indicative of mandibular retrusion as well as a poor airway. He's a good candidate for jaw surgery, both from a functional and a cosmetic standpoint.

Trader

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
Gunson is out of state, should I make the trip out there to see him though?

I am a bit worried. I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems moving the lower jaw is all fine but once the upper jaw is moved it changes the appearance of the cheeks. I don't want to lose any more prominence in my cheeks - can a surgeon "preserve" the height? Worst case i would get implants but I don't want to go that route. And the eyes could potentially get a more hallow look, but would that be fixable? I was thinking about looking into orbital rim work (but I have no clue about it) to fix the eyes anyways.

I am just very worried about how the front of my face will turn out.

Genioplasty wouldn't fix the lip incompetence though, and it wouldn't fix the upper jaw which is also recessed.

Nah. Pretty much decided I want a stronger profile and more proportional features and no longer want to be so self conscious about my recessed jaw and huge nose. At the very least I want rhinoplasty.

It's worth it to see Gunson if you care strongly about the results of your surgery (which I assume you do, given that you're here). Also, your face is one of the most important things in your life, so you shouldn't skimp on it.

Ideally, you would get your surgery with Gunson, but the consultation would be useful just to see his surgical plan and learn how much CCW rotation you need. If the required rotation isn't extreme, then you might be able to find a cheaper surgeon to perform it.

Also, your concern about the upper jaw movement relates to linear movements. Counterclockwise rotation avoids the issue of excessive fullness in the midface because it allows the upper teeth to come forward while keeping the anterior maxilla more or less fixed.   

jaw

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:31 PM »
It's worth it to see Gunson if you care strongly about the results of your surgery (which I assume you do, given that you're here). Also, your face is one of the most important things in your life, so you shouldn't skimp on it.

Ideally, you would get your surgery with Gunson, but the consultation would be useful just to see his surgical plan and learn how much CCW rotation you need. If the required rotation isn't extreme, then you might be able to find a cheaper surgeon to perform it.

Also, your concern about the upper jaw movement relates to linear movements. Counterclockwise rotation avoids the issue of excessive fullness in the midface because it allows the upper teeth to come forward while keeping the anterior maxilla more or less fixed.

15mm seems like a lot of movement forward...

I am very worried about the results, would going to Dr. Sinn be worth it as well? So taking that surgical plan would be a good idea, thanks.