Author Topic: Custom Jaw Implants Vs Jaw Surgery  (Read 3399 times)

whatdo

Custom Jaw Implants Vs Jaw Surgery
« on: October 29, 2016, 11:38:20 AM »
I could fix my overbite with braces alone. I have been researching jaw surgery over and over and it seems the results don't always come out well.

I have looked into getting a custom jaw implant though and they seem to offer really good results and I wouldn't even need to wait, right?

I'm just wondering what you all think. Jaw surgery itself seems like the results would vary much more than the implants, but implants are well, implants + can be taken out?

Trader

Re: Custom Jaw Implants Vs Jaw Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
It's hard to say anything without pictures of your face or lateral cephalograms.

In general, I think you're better off getting a definitive correction in jaw surgery than trying to camouflage your problem with orthodontics and implants. However, if your problem isn't severe, then camouflage may be appropriate.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:34:47 PM by Trader »

whatdo

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »
my jaw looks like his:

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6042.msg49400#msg49400

and

his:
http://issuesurgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/chin-augmentation-male-before-and-After.jpg (on right)

I have seen three orthodontists. They all said just do braces to get it fixed. I have seen very good results from implants and am wondering if I could get those same results. I haven't seen many good results from jaw surgery in all honesty; i only see good results from the women undergoing the treatment.

Could the jaw implants not give both the upper and lower good projection and "forward growth" looks?

slidinggenio

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »
I considered implants at the start of this process of fixing my jaw, but now despise the idea of them for the follow reasons:
  • Even if I looked better with an implant I reckon I'd get a hang up over the fact that I've got a piece of plastic inside me to make me look better. At least with jaw surgery you can  proudly say it's your bone!
  • Not going to improve my posture (standing up straight and sleeping my back isn't comfortable because it's harder to breathe and feels like my f**king jaw is touching my adams apple)
  • I imagined what an implants going to look like when you're 70 and your skins all saggy and s**t. Better pray you can grow a beard then.
  • Concerns about comfort and just general though of having something inside you
  • Wouldn't surprise me if I got sleep apnea later down the road

Trader

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »
my jaw looks like his:

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6042.msg49400#msg49400

and

his:
http://issuesurgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/chin-augmentation-male-before-and-After.jpg (on right)

I have seen three orthodontists. They all said just do braces to get it fixed. I have seen very good results from implants and am wondering if I could get those same results. I haven't seen many good results from jaw surgery in all honesty; i only see good results from the women undergoing the treatment.

Could the jaw implants not give both the upper and lower good projection and "forward growth" looks?

Have you consulted with a maxillofacial surgeon?

Again, it's hard to say much about what's best for you without seeing pictures of your face, but I think that overall, jaw surgery produces more attractive and functionally superior results to implants. The key functional improvement in my opinion is the increased airway, which as slidinggenio mentions, is essential for sleep, posture, and overall health. A small airway also becomes a large problem as you age because your muscles lose elasticity. So there's a lot to be said for addressing this problem now.

If your jaws aren't very recessed but you want more chin projection, you should consider a sliding genioplasty. I can't recommend facial implants, although I do appreciate the theoretical advantages in many cases (i.e., their ability to easily add enormous amounts of facial volume). Their downsides outweigh the benefits though.

whatdo

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »
Have you consulted with a maxillofacial surgeon?

Again, it's hard to say much about what's best for you without seeing pictures of your face, but I think that overall, jaw surgery produces more attractive and functionally superior results to implants. The key functional improvement in my opinion is the increased airway, which as slidinggenio mentions, is essential for sleep, posture, and overall health. A small airway also becomes a large problem as you age because your muscles lose elasticity. So there's a lot to be said for addressing this problem now.

If your jaws aren't very recessed but you want more chin projection, you should consider a sliding genioplasty. I can't recommend facial implants, although I do appreciate the theoretical advantages in many cases (i.e., their ability to easily add enormous amounts of facial volume). Their downsides outweigh the benefits though.

What about the downsides to jaw surgery though? Won't I have complications when I'm older? Won't I have a loss of general strength of the jaw? They are sawing bone and screwing it into a new place. Couldn't TMJ become a problem after?

It seems with implants though the jaw itself isn't really "touched" the only issues I've heard of are the small eating away of bone in that area. Which is still def a huge problem

ascolta

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »
Ironically I think the only people who would have a chance of looking good with jaw implants are those that don't need jaw surgery or are borderline cases, i.e. people with normally positioned albeit rather small jaws. I had jaw implants put in by a famous surgeon and thank god they got infected and had to be taken out because I looked ridiculous. It made my face fat and bloated. Nothing to do with my weight either, as some people here would suggest, since my body fat has always been below 10%. It's because  my jaws are recessed by more than a centimeter. Implants aren't a real option in those situations.

Trader

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »

What about the downsides to jaw surgery though? Won't I have complications when I'm older? Won't I have a loss of general strength of the jaw? They are sawing bone and screwing it into a new place. Couldn't TMJ become a problem after?

It seems with implants though the jaw itself isn't really "touched" the only issues I've heard of are the small eating away of bone in that area. Which is still def a huge problem

Again, it's really hard to say anything about your case without pictures. I do think that the people here will give you better advice than the vast majority of orthodontists and plastic surgeons, so it's in your best interests to post as much info as possible.

Some people who are upset with their weak jaws/chins may only need a few millimeters of advancement or augmentation. These are the ones who can benefit substantially from camouflage procedures. However, if you're deficient by a centimeter or more -- which isn't uncommon among people who are upset with their facial structure -- then the effects of camouflage are limited. I still think that camouflage procedures can offer substantial improvement, but they can't fix the functional problems that almost always occur with underdeveloped jaws (namely, a small airway). Since jaw surgery offers greater more cosmetic improvement and correction of functional problems, it's a clear choice for people with large deformities.

Jaw surgery can be risky. The strength of the bone post surgery is a non-issue. The bigger issues are nerve damage, relapse, and bite/joint problems. A lot of the risk depends on the type of movements. For instance, certain movements like maxillary advancement or impaction or linear mandibular advancement are relatively low-risk. Movements like maxillary downgrafting are more unstable. If you post pictures, we can tell you what kind of movements you'll likely require.