Author Topic: Revision Surgery Needed  (Read 2709 times)

Pennylane

Revision Surgery Needed
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about my current situation. I had double jaw surgery back in March 2015. I had my upper jaw moved up/forward and widened and my lower jaw moved forward. I also had a genioplasty. Following my surgery I was left with a pretty severe crossbite/open bite. My lower jaw is too far left and I have an open bite on the right side.

I have been on several consultations. I saw a doctor who recommended a revision BSSO and blamed the original surgeon for incorrect placement of the lower jaw. I went to another one who attributes the bite issues to condylar resorption in the left joint. He recommends waiting another couple months to see if it gets any worse before he determines whether he would recommend surgery. He said if a BSSO is not recommended, then he could just move my chin to the right to address the asymmetry (seems weird and this would just be for aesthetic reasons). In that case I would have to trust my orthodontist to move my teeth quite a bit to bring them back together but the jaws would still be misplaced. I am reluctant to give the go ahead to my orthodontist to move the teeth to compensate because I know this would not be good for my roots.

I have also seen Dr. Gunson. He recommends a complete revision to include LeForte, BSSO, and genioplasty. I feel like he is the only doctor I truly trust to perform a revision at this point because of the level of care and detail he provides, but the cost is so high (~75K excluding hospital fees). I do not know what to do. I am less than happy about the aesthetic outcome of the surgery too and Dr. Gunson would address all of my concerns regarding those issues as well as the bite problems. I know he is also knowledgeable on condylar resorption.

If anyone has any advice, including doctor recommendations in southern California, I would really appreciate it. I feel as though this is an impossible decision. I do not know how I am going to find a surgeon who is experienced with revisions and is knowledgeable on joint issues, but won't cost a fortune. I do not think orthodontics alone will be sufficient to correct the bite but I also do not want to risk additional condylar resorption brought on by more surgery. I fear my left joint is becoming more and more agitated from my bite misalignment so I know I have to figure out what to do soon. Any one else have experience with condylar resorption and revision jaw surgery?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:24:03 PM by Pennilne »

Rico

Re: Revision Surgery Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 11:47:35 AM »
only you can do

-earn money
-fundrasing (very hard to collect money. most people are ignorant. won't give you even 1$ to make you happy)
-or waste your life

nothing more

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »
I'll throw out two people who might be worth looking into but honestly only throwing them out b/c no one else gave you any names here.   Also they're in nothern Cali....

Dr. Karas and Dr. Deschamps Braly seem recommended on this forum, but I don't know how well for revision surgery.  Just more docs for you to research/consider.

Karas should be more reasonably priced, but Braly will come up close to Gunson I think.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:49:29 PM by ditterbo »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 03:40:53 PM »
Bite the bullit and do it with Gunson.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »
Rico is right. I remember your fundraising thread Rico. People are so ignorant when it comes to fundraising: that should be changed.

Let's list a few fundraising suggestions so that people can instantly donate (in a random order):

1) Child prostitutes in Asia.
2) People that lost their homes and livelihood after earthquakes in Italia.
3) Rico's surgery
4) Children abused and killed as witches in Africa.

Of course you can add any fundraising suggestion to that list.

5. Donations to this site so I can keep running it.

Millimeters are miles on the face.