Author Topic: Could I benefit from maxillary advancement?  (Read 2955 times)

The Quest for Aesthetics

Could I benefit from maxillary advancement?
« on: November 12, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »
Hey guys, could I benefit from a maxilla that is more advanced than it currently is?

[attachment deleted by admin]

UKMaxfac

Re: Could I benefit from maxillary advancement?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 02:44:52 PM »
Not really.

You would benefit from under eye implants though

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
No.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »
f**king take this guy off this thread and ban him from the site.

He looks perfect he doesn't need UNDER EYE IMPLANTS.

Dude you look amazing and no jaw surgery would do anything for you. go live your life.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »
I'm confused now: is this not the same guy talking about the complete custom made midface implant he is getting covering the zygoma, paranasal area, orbital rims and all the minuscule details about the zygoma?

I think Lazlo is right. The first thing I thought when I saw this pic was, oh God one of those Lookism guys that looks perfect but is completely obsessed with looking like a male model.

All is not as it seems. It's a morphed pic adjusting the nose and mandible. I did that because I find that people have trouble evaluating the position of the maxilla with other deformities present on the face. So I brought the lower jaw in line with the maxilla and reduced the size of the nose (a large nose can affect perception of maxillary positioning).

The real pic is attached here. I feel like I could definitely benefit from lower jaw advancement - if I'm getting jaw surgery, it would be good to know whether I could kill two birds with one stone IF my maxilla was sub optimally positioned - hence this thead.

As for the midface implant - it's mainly the under eye and lateral orbitals that will be improved for me - the discussion about the zygos in order to maximise what I'm getting out of that implant (as it is able to cover the zygos too).

Trader

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »
I think your mandible and maxilla are both recessed, with your mandible being the bigger issue. You would need them both advanced, but the mandibular advancement should be significantly greater. That might require counterclockwise rotation, but it's hard to say anything without a lateral cephalogram. I think it's worth consulting with a maxillofacial surgeon.

slidinggenio

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:03:14 AM »
I think your mandible and maxilla are both recessed, with your mandible being the bigger issue. You would need them both advanced, but the mandibular advancement should be significantly greater. That might require counterclockwise rotation, but it's hard to say anything without a lateral cephalogram. I think it's worth consulting with a maxillofacial surgeon.
lol what

David_D

• Private
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
lol what

Picture your profile, showing the right side of your face.  Imagine that your upper and law jaws could be rotated in a circular fashion when viewed from the viewpoint.  Counterclockwise rotation would involve the mandible being brought forward, the maxilla being brought backward, the front of the maxilla and mandible being brought upward and the back of the maxilla and mandible bring brought downward.  That describes a counterclockwise movement.

If one's objective is to get greater maxillomandibular projection, counterclockwise movement can be made at the same time both jaws are brought forward.  Doing both of these would create relatively greater mandibular increase in projection then increase in maxillary projection.

As far as your decision making process goes, I recommend that you assess your own aesthetic objective, and then determines, if indeed you wish any change to be made, whether or not it will work, what are side effects, and perform a cost benefit assessment to determine whether or not to proceed.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »

What makes you say that my maxilla is recessed? I mean, what exactly is it? Is it that my mouth area is too retroclined compared to the rest of the face? But it sticks out beyond the nasion quite some way? Do you not think that advancing my maxilla forward could give me a chimp/monkey/strange look that's often seen with over projection of the maxilla? Looking forward to your reply - this is quite important.

Also guys - do you think this morph that I've attached is an aesthetic improvement at all?

ditterbo

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »
So I thought my maxilla was fine but Gunson pointed out how it looks basically like yours does when you look at the slope from your nostrils to your upper lip.  It's flat.  The block surgery Gunson gave me shows that part of my face sloping down to the upper lip at like a 70 degree angle.  I don't know which number to look at but I've heard forward movement in the 5-8mm range for my maxilla.  Basically though I barely see a case for bimax.. like sure you could get some movement but it won't be that much.  For the amount of surgery it is, not sure it's worth it?  Call/email Gunson with your profile and cephs or whatever they want to see if you should even come in.  They will tell you up front (if you ask) whether or not Gunson considers you a jaw surgery case.

The Quest for Aesthetics

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
So I thought my maxilla was fine but Gunson pointed out how it looks basically like yours does when you look at the slope from your nostrils to your upper lip.  It's flat.  The block surgery Gunson gave me shows that part of my face sloping down to the upper lip at like a 70 degree angle.  I don't know which number to look at but I've heard forward movement in the 5-8mm range for my maxilla.  Basically though I barely see a case for bimax.. like sure you could get some movement but it won't be that much.  For the amount of surgery it is, not sure it's worth it?  Call/email Gunson with your profile and cephs or whatever they want to see if you should even come in.  They will tell you up front (if you ask) whether or not Gunson considers you a jaw surgery case.

Yes I've often thought that the mouth area doesn't project 'enough' beyond the nose. This struck me more of a rotational issue - I feel as if CCW rotation around the anterior nasal spine is what will give that 70 degree angle that you talk about. What's interesting though is that the same logic would also suggest that the person who I have attached would also be a bimax case. And many of us know that that particular person is one of the best looking men in the world.

I would love to contact Gunson but I don't have the money to spend £400 or whatever he charges for a consultation. Do you mean to say that he'll tell me up front whether I'm a jaw surgery case without the need for a consult? If so, that's great.