Author Topic: Get Arnett / Gunson at a fraction of the cost?  (Read 10986 times)

CCW

Re: Get Arnett / Gunson at a fraction of the cost?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
i wonder - does ccw Rotation, like for like, always provide a better result? sailer, gunson and others seem to imply this, hut i wonder if that is the case for People with a flat oc / curve of spee?

i think the reason is that by rotating, you maximise the distance by which the tongue is moved Forward, as the tongue musscle is attached to the chin bone.
Yes, it does when CCW-R is indicated (= steep occlusal plane, normal is 8 degrees +/- 4 degrees according to Wolford). If your occlusal plane is excessively flat, you get clockwise rotation and if your occlusal plane is normal, you get a straight advancement.

Yeah, with CCW-R you get a bigger movement at the base of tongue which also results in a bigger airway than a straight advancement. From an esthetic POV, you can advance the lower jaw more with CCW-R, so you can actually straighten the profile which wouldn't be possible with a straight advancement (if the occlusal plane is steep). With CCW-R, you also don't need to advance the maxilla as much, so the likelihood of the dreaded "chimp lip", weird fullness at the base of the nose and unwanted changes of the nose is smaller.

Effect of occlusal plane on smile attractiveness

Alterations in the occlusal plane angle did affect relative smile attractiveness for both
patients (n=66) and dentists (n=66). For patients, the 10 degree smile was rated better than the
0 and 20 degree smiles (P<.01); for dentists, the 15 degree smile was rated better than the 0 and
20 degree smiles (P<.01). The 5, 10, and 15 degree smiles were indistinguishable for patients,
and the 10 and 15 degree smiles were indistinguishable for dentists.
http://www.angle.org/doi/pdf/10.2319/050411-318.1
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:03:48 PM by CCW »

mike888miller

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
interesting ccw. since i have steep incliners, and class 3 bite, and need 2cm advancement at the pog, ccw seems to be the way to go

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
I found a blog by Chris who had corrective jaw surgery through arnett/gunson.
I believe the deal breaker in anyone having surgery done through them is the hospital cost.
$115,000 for 2 night stay at Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital???

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38481&sid=474bbe055a19586b9919fdb686952d41&start=15

Granted the Surgeon's fee is reasonable ~ $48k to 55k
Anesthesiologist $7500 or $3k if paid in cash upfront

So This guy Chris says he had Cigna pay the full hospital bill. I would really like to go to this surgeon, only problem is i'm under state funded insurance.

Bowie

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »

Holy hell! Zurich is cheaper for hospital stay

PloskoPlus

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
I found a blog by Chris who had corrective jaw surgery through arnett/gunson.
I believe the deal breaker in anyone having surgery done through them is the hospital cost.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38481&sid=474bbe055a19586b9919fdb686952d41&start=15

Granted the Surgeon's fee is reasonable ~ $48k to 55k
Anesthesiologist $7500 or $3k if paid in cash upfront

So This guy Chris says he had Cigna pay the full hospital bill. I would really like to go to this surgeon, only problem is i'm under state funded insurance.
I think the hospital fee is typo - 100k more than what I was quoted.

ditterbo

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
It's not clear to me though if their quote is for the surgery itself AND the hospital stay. I was quoted similarly to you Plosko but I can't believe that covers the over-night part.

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 06:18:28 AM »
Does anyone know if A&G has a financing plan available?

Milli_Meters

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 06:43:28 AM »
I think the hospital fee is typo - 100k more than what I was quoted.

Yeah I have heard the same. Also when insurance is paying typically the hospital fees is very high. I can not imagine anyone getting surgery with them privately if its that high.

UKMaxfac

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
Absurd prices.

ditterbo

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »
Yeah I have heard the same. Also when insurance is paying typically the hospital fees is very high. I can not imagine anyone getting surgery with them privately if its that high.

That's crosswiring two different points. If the hospital is considered in-network, then you are only left with 10-20% or so of the contractual "allowed amount" charge.  If the hospital is not in-network, they will charge you a (usually) almost reasonable amount upfront, or balance bill you that upfront amount after insurance coughs up their 40-50% or so of the insurance's allowed amount.

The huge numbers you see billed to insurance is just a tactic to get as much money from insurance as possible. It's never what they expect the patient to actually pay.

mike888miller

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
trust me there are many from russia and the middle east that pay this price, i am an insider...

although they will sometimes pay only half upfront and the dissapear into their lawless countries...

SavingFace

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 01:26:25 AM »
I can give you names for $15k - $30k if you really want but surgeons in general tend to hate aesthetic customers. I believe there are two other high volume fellowship centers in DC which are also very cheap which would be local for you too. Posnick's textbook is certainly awesome but part of his price is the customization he's willing to give. Most surgeons want you in and out the door. Also, he doesn't do most of the surgery himself, the fellows do it and you don't typically get to meet them until day of surgery if at all. Their hands are steadier and vision better so maybe not a big deal but might be better to find a Posnick fellow who's 5-10 years out and still does a lot of surgery. One of my high school classmates trained under him actually and works near me but he doesn't do jaw surgery much I think.

Care to say what two fellowship centers in DC you’re talking about?

justme

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »
Had surgery done in Lithuania by Grybasukas. Terrible experience. Can read my review at http://myorthognathic.surgery