Author Topic: Unimpressed with smile post-op.  (Read 17568 times)

Fallout

Re: Unimpressed with smile post-op.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
That bite is post op?  Yikes.  Go see another ortho and surgeon.  I'm sorry man!

Yup, post-op. Well, 2 years post-op :P I'm going to try to make an appointment. I'd like to speak to a different surgeon to get a different opinion but I don't think you can really pick and choose when you're doing it through the NHS. You get who you're given and you're stuck with them, I think.

I'll keep you guys up-to-date :)

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
maybe you'll solve it by ortho only...who knows!

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
I hate to say it, but yes your bite is very much off :/ sorry you should definitely see an ortho and possibly a surgeon. Its definitely up to you in how much it bothers you, but Im surprised they took off your braces with your teeth lined up the way they are.  ???
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Fallout

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »
Had my appointment today. From what I can gather, my jaw has grown since surgery, more so on the right side of my jaw. The consultant called it a relapse. That's why my bite is completely off, the jaw has grown and it has messed up my bite. The options now are 1 & 1/2 years of braces + jaw surgery, OR they will remove a couple of teeth and fix my bite that way. Obviously the second option will not fix my ever-growing jaw so it looks like I'll probably be opting for more surgery. I'm just concerned that if I opt for more surgery that my jaw will grow again and mess every thing up.

I'm quite down about all of this really. I hoped that the first surgery would fix my problem, but clearly not. Sigh.

elysium87

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
Had my appointment today. From what I can gather, my jaw has grown since surgery, more so on the right side of my jaw. The consultant called it a relapse. That's why my bite is completely off, the jaw has grown and it has messed up my bite. The options now are 1 & 1/2 years of braces + jaw surgery, OR they will remove a couple of teeth and fix my bite that way. Obviously the second option will not fix my ever-growing jaw so it looks like I'll probably be opting for more surgery. I'm just concerned that if I opt for more surgery that my jaw will grow again and mess every thing up.

I'm quite down about all of this really. I hoped that the first surgery would fix my problem, but clearly not. Sigh.

Is there any update? I fear I have the same issue after double jaw surgery back in 2009. My top and bottom teeth are biting on top of one another? Did you have a class 3 before the op? Are you have treatment still?

elysium87

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
I would be interested to know what happened in this case. Is this a case of jaws moving or teeth?

toothfairy

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 03:25:01 AM »
I have had the exact same experience. I would describe my smile exactly the same...I look like I am wearing false teeth and have a "goofy horse smile". Mine's even worse because I can't close my lips. Eating is very difficult because I have to basically eat with my mouth open otherwise I have to strain my lip muscles too much to chew with my lips closed.
The most frustrating part is that when I speak to my surgeon he has the exact same reaction...just wait a while (it's been a year now). My upper jaw is also longer which looks weird.
I'd like to get a second opinion but as most of the surgeons all know each other I doubt I'd get an honest answer. I wish there was some kind of minor surgery to fix things up but I doubt it.

Fallout

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
I'm here :) The last appointment I had was earlier this year (January I think) and my next appointment is in November this year. They're waiting to see if the jaw grows any more before taking any course of action. It's quite frustrating and if I had the money then I would just go private. I haven't been satisfied with the results, the bite is off and I'm still very self-conscious of how goofy my top teeth look.

Alas, I don't have the money to go private, so I'll be waiting until November.

Fallout

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
I have had the exact same experience. I would describe my smile exactly the same...I look like I am wearing false teeth and have a "goofy horse smile". Mine's even worse because I can't close my lips. Eating is very difficult because I have to basically eat with my mouth open otherwise I have to strain my lip muscles too much to chew with my lips closed.
The most frustrating part is that when I speak to my surgeon he has the exact same reaction...just wait a while (it's been a year now). My upper jaw is also longer which looks weird.
I'd like to get a second opinion but as most of the surgeons all know each other I doubt I'd get an honest answer. I wish there was some kind of minor surgery to fix things up but I doubt it.

I'm sorry to hear that you've also been left with the goofy horse smile :( I'm not sure what the solution is for us.

FaceDay

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »
How old are you?

Fallout

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »

FaceDay

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »
Jaws can still grow at 24?!

Yeah someone is f**king mental here. Jesus Christ dude, it must be some sort of relapse.

Okay, I can help you cause I know everything about this surgery now. Was your bite normal after surgery? And did it eventually become edge to edge? If so, then it's some sort of relapse. If not, they just didn't do a good job and you need ortho again. But if your bite was perfect i.e. all teeth touched, front teeth came down over bottom teeth etc. and then your teeth moved eventually to this edge to edge relation --it's a case of relapse and/or instability. Tell us.

Fallout

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
Yes, it was fine post-op, it relapsed in the past couple of years. My op was in 2011.

I had my appointment today. The bite is still way off on the right side. I was asked if I have any major problems with eating, which I do not and I told them that. So, they have decided on my behalf that I do not need braces to fix the bite and they have discharged me. I am not happy at all! Surely they are required to fix the bite? I suppose I should have just lied and told them that it's causes me problems with eating! A few years of braces and a major operation and I'm still left with a crappy bite. I'm so annoyed.

elysium87

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »
Yes, it was fine post-op, it relapsed in the past couple of years. My op was in 2011.

I had my appointment today. The bite is still way off on the right side. I was asked if I have any major problems with eating, which I do not and I told them that. So, they have decided on my behalf that I do not need braces to fix the bite and they have discharged me. I am not happy at all! Surely they are required to fix the bite? I suppose I should have just lied and told them that it's causes me problems with eating! A few years of braces and a major operation and I'm still left with a crappy bite. I'm so annoyed.

Hi there, I am sorry to hear about your trouble dealing with the NHS over an unsatisfactory post-op result. I, as I'm sure you are aware, have also had an issue with and edge-edge bite. Most likely, your bite went to this position very soon after your braces came off. It is a typical response of NHS doctors to behave in this fashion, I actually think they cannot cater for this type of procedure give the budget cuts and increased demand on the system for essential life saving treatments, however, that is not a relevant topic of debate for this forum.

I wanted to message you to try and give you some support. I have had an extremely uncomfortable time dealing with the surgeon and his orthodontic team who treated me from 2006-10. They are dismissive of my bite and tried their utmost to convince me that nothing was wrong. Unfortunately, the hard facts are that you are not going to get much joy out of them whatsoever. They are extremely wishy-washy when it comes to this type of stuff. I believe there is an issue with your bite, what are they saying has happened? If it is a relapse - do they believe this to be orthodontic or surgical? In my case, my top jaw was not widened through a SARPE procedure but was instead compensated for by tipping top teeth outwards....these just moved back once treatment ceased. Again, we believe this happened with 12 months of my braces coming off.

I have had a second opinion from a Prof. Haers who believes he can correct this problem, although this is going to cost me my own cash! The NHS team have tried to tell me that Prof Haers is a radical doctor and his procedure is not going to work, but the are just arse covering.