Author Topic: Uneven masseters  (Read 2132 times)

beyondconfusedtbh

Uneven masseters
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:53:56 AM »
Quick question, is chewing hard gum the best way to even out masseters if one is more hypertrophied than the other? Or is it always just due to slight jaw assymetries ie. only fix would be surgery.

Thanks

Maxilla4Life

Re: Uneven masseters
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 06:35:58 AM »
You should get an consultation asap with a maxillofacial surgeon. Two years ago I noticed my mandible being twice as big on the left side compared to the right. I was so sure that it was caused by Masseter Hypertrophy from chewing hard gum, that I decided to NOT chew any gum for 1 year and only sleep on the bigger side. One year later, nothing had changed and I came to realize that the problem was more due to a bigger mandible and not masseter. I should have visited a Maxillofacial Surgeon right then, I wasted two years by being in denial.

You can read more at: http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=7329.0

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »
I’ve had X-rays done, you can find them on one of my threads (to do with SARPE & bi-max) from the front the discrepancy doesn’t look TOO major. I’ll link it below:

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=7319.0

Maxilla4Life

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
I’ve had X-rays done, you can find them on one of my threads (to do with SARPE & bi-max) from the front the discrepancy doesn’t look TOO major. I’ll link it below:

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=7319.0
I have no knowledge on what those surgical terms mean, could you explain? Have you read my post that I linked? I’m trying to figure out wether or not my case is similar to yours. My left side is bigger than the right, hence why I want to reduce the size of the left mandible to make it more like my right mandible. Is this what you are trying to achieve too?

Maxilla4Life

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
Another question: Where did you get your x-ray done? Did you meet with a maxillofacial surgeon and get it done there? I want to get one too, but I don’t know who I should turn to. There are no decent surgeons in my country, I live in Europe so I will most likely travel around the continent in search of.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:04:18 AM »
You’re in Europe / UK too right? I got my x-ray done at Mesantis Germany:)

cjQ

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 01:47:37 AM »
@beyondconfusedtbh : did you get my pm?

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
So I've taken a look at these CT's of my skull & it looks like there's VERY SLIGHT asymmetry in my mandible, but probably not enough to throw the masseters off too much right?

So is it safe to conclude in my case it is just uneven masseters from using one side more than the other? It's pretty weird to have inconsistent muscle bellies so I've ruled that out.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
I've taken a look at your bone structure from your CEPHS . Here are my findings:

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »
wow this is great, thanks :)

this provides me with a lot of (much needed) clarity, so is asymmetry fairly normal?
I'm assuming I'd do more damage in trying to correct the VISUAL asymmetry so I'm just gonna leave it, one less thing to worry about!

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
correction:

HOW DO I ASCEND ?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:26 PM »
wow this is great, thanks :)

this provides me with a lot of (much needed) clarity, so is asymmetry fairly normal?
I'm assuming I'd do more damage in trying to correct the VISUAL asymmetry so I'm just gonna leave it, one less thing to worry about!

Yes.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »
Yeah even models have asymmetry. It's normal.
Millimeters are miles on the face.