Author Topic: Overbite surgery tomorrow! Final pictures and thoughts  (Read 10291 times)

Icy

Overbite surgery tomorrow! Final pictures and thoughts
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »
Well here we are! I never actually thought this day would come, but here it is! Tomorrow I will undergo LF1 and BSSO to correct my overbite and asymmetry. Thought I would add some final pictures before tomorrow, though I'll check back in as soon as I can and see if I can get my dad to take some grisly post-op photos of me! Apologies in advance for the potato quality, and also my wild hair - it's very humid here! :P I can't say I'm not nervous, because I am, but I'm hoping it all goes well and that I come out of it with a good functional bite and a solid profile. Thanks to everyone for your advice throughout the last year, hold thumbs for me! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Icy

Re: Overbite surgery tomorrow! Final pictures and thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:14 AM »
Day 1 post op! I've been sent home, and I'm feeling pretty good. My lips aren't numb but my nose and cheeks are totally numb. I had bad problems with nausea, like I thought I would, but I'm feeling better after meds. My lower jaw is quite sore, but I also had my wisdom teeth removed at the same time, so I don't think it's the bsso that's hurting so much. I'll add some photos when I'm feeling a bit more lively!

kjohnt

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:41:16 PM »
If you'd be so kind, please be sure to provide before/after cephs along with surgical movements as part of your upcoming update(s).  Hopefully all is well!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »
Day 1 post op! I've been sent home, and I'm feeling pretty good. My lips aren't numb but my nose and cheeks are totally numb. I had bad problems with nausea, like I thought I would, but I'm feeling better after meds. My lower jaw is quite sore, but I also had my wisdom teeth removed at the same time, so I don't think it's the bsso that's hurting so much. I'll add some photos when I'm feeling a bit more lively!
That's a good sign. The more intense the initial numbness, the less likey the sensation will return.

ditterbo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Congrats on getting past the big surgery! Keep us posted.

Icy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:24:52 AM »
Small update for you guys! Day 3 was the absolute worst I've ever felt in my life, nausea and pain like I've never experienced before, it took a hell of a lot to get through it but day 4 has been an absolute breeze by comparison, I'm even off my pain meds! I've thus far lost about 3kg which on a small framed person is a lot, so I'm going to have to work to keep the weight on. My face still looks like a dumpling ;D but it's looking more and more like me which is good to see. I've noticed my lips are very tight and my upper lip seems pulled in, but I can feel its the incision underneath pulling it in, so it should return to normal in time. Now for the picture updates! Potato quality again, my apologies, but it's been hard to take a photo at all with how shaky I've been during the recovery. I'm a bit annoyed that my nose turned up ever so slightly, but my surgeon told my dad they had to make some cuts near my nose that would have caused swelling, so hopefully it turns back down again. It doesn't look too bad though, so happy about that. I haven't got any cephs yet, but I have my post op appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday, so I can ask then =)

CCW

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:01:15 AM »
It looks as though there's barely any swelling at all except for the lips. I haven't seen a "before" front, but I wouldn't suspect you had just had jaw surgery if I saw your picture and didn't know. Looks good.

Icy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:24:31 AM »
It looks as though there's barely any swelling at all except for the lips. I haven't seen a "before" front, but I wouldn't suspect you had just had jaw surgery if I saw your picture and didn't know. Looks good.

Thank you! I saw my surgeon today and he said something similar, though I have very chubby cheeks from the wisdom tooth extraction! ^_^ He was absolutely delighted with my results so far. I asked him to email me my X-Rays, hoping he will do that so I can show you guys the difference! My profile as I saw from the X-Rays is now absolutely straight, it's as perfect as I could have hoped for and my rather significant maxillary cant is totally gone. As far as I recall, the exact movements were 5mm mandibular advancement with downward rotation, and 3mm forward advancement also with downward rotation and downgrafting. I now have so much tooth show compared to before, and I can only open my mouth about 1/4 of the way, so I can't wait to see my smile once the swelling around my mouth goes down! I also noticed today that I have jawline definition appearing, which is something I've never had before and was unexpected as my lower jaw was always very narrow and pointed. My surgeon said that I'll have so much support around my lips and jaw now compared to before, so I'll age much better which is really nice to know as I worried before about looking jowly at 24 lol. I'll update with some better pictures soon, for the moment my face and neck are kind of green from the bruising.  :P
-Edit: added a before photo I took right before my operation, note the scared bambi eyes! :D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:40:40 AM by Icy »

Icy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
Good evening folks! Little picture update from day 11! I'm finally starting to feel and look like myself again, the bruising is down a lot and the swelling is now isolated to the gaps on my jawbone and across my cheekbones and nose. I'm really feeling happy with the results so far, my overbite is gone and I'm healing very quickly! I'm amazed at how much smaller my nose looks in profile, though it's a fraction wider face-on - the feeling is coming back and I can feel that it's quite sore and swollen so they must have moved it around quite a bit. That's all for today! From next week I'm cleared to start eating soft foods, which I'm so looking forward to! I've had enough soup, yoghurt and milkshakes this last week and a half to last me a lifetime! ^_^

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »
If it's pain at the base of the nose then it's the alar cinch.

CCW

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »
The upper lip seems to have improved a lot and looks close to normal. Your nose widened a little at the base, but it made the bridge look narrower or more defined and overall more balanced. In profile, the base of your nose looked much flatter before, almost sunken in, but now it projects forward and is more like this \. Your chin doesn't look as long as before because the lower jaw isn't recessed anymore. The biggest change is the midface which makes your profile look almost completely different to me and you younger. From the front your face looks like a more balanced oval now. It's not night and day since you weren't deformed before, but it's an improvement. Your surgeon was wisely conservative with the movements, and you got a solid result. You must be happy.

Your result kind of reminds me of this girl.
https://unrulyslumber.wordpress.com/

Icy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »
Hi CCW!
That's a very accurate and concise summary of my results so far, thank you it actually is quite helpful to see it broken down like that - the changes really are quite subtle and developing more day by day. Thank you for the link, I agree her result is somewhat similar to mine, it's nice to see how much more the swelling can reduce over the course of a year or more! The obvious cheek swelling is now almost totally gone, and I'm feeling great about the subtlety of my results. I started off my journey thinking I was deformed and in need of drastic intervention, glad I managed to turn away from such unhealthy thought processes... I still look like myself, just a happier, younger and better-rested version!

The upper lip seems to have improved a lot and looks close to normal. Your nose widened a little at the base, but it made the bridge look narrower or more defined and overall more balanced. In profile, the base of your nose looked much flatter before, almost sunken in, but now it projects forward and is more like this \. Your chin doesn't look as long as before because the lower jaw isn't recessed anymore. The biggest change is the midface which makes your profile look almost completely different to me and you younger. From the front your face looks like a more balanced oval now. It's not night and day since you weren't deformed before, but it's an improvement. Your surgeon was wisely conservative with the movements, and you got a solid result. You must be happy.

Your result kind of reminds me of this girl.
https://unrulyslumber.wordpress.com/

Icy

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Evening all! Today marks 30 days post-op! I'm feeling very good about the results so far, though I appear to have developed a tiny bit of an open bite at the front, my orthodontist should deal with this soon though. My profile is looking much more balanced and pleasant, the downturned mouth is gone, though my smile is still stiff and awkward-looking. I wanted to take a proper photo, but I'm staying at my mothers house and the lighting is all jacked up, so these potato photos will have to do for now. Apologies once again! My swelling is just about gone, and continues to subside every day, though it persists most around the jawline. My numbness is much improved, and is restricted to a tingling lower lip, numb patch on my chin and patches on my gums.

surgeryornot

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »
Hi Icy,

Your profile results look great. Have you noticed any major changes front facing beyond the nose?

Icy

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
Hi Surgeryornot!

Thank you very much! I have indeed, my nose has essentially gone back to normal, it's perhaps a fraction wider than it was before but it's barely perceptible now. My jaw and lower face appear wider, and shockingly to me I've developed some cheekbone definition that I didn't have before. My mouth and smile is also straight and even, I'll upload pictures on Wednesday when I get my braces off! :) Are you looking at a similar surgery?

Hi Icy,

Your profile results look great. Have you noticed any major changes front facing beyond the nose?