Author Topic: Cheekbone augmentation (Hydroxyapatite+fat transfer) with Dr. Joel Defrancq  (Read 15676 times)

Lazlo

• Private
I'm having surgery with him soon, and will be doing the HA + fat transfer for cheek augmentation, along with bimax and genioplasty.  I'll let you know how it goes...I'm pretty freaked out though and think about cancelling like 10 times a day.  Ughhhhh.

so have you had surgery yet?

earl25

I'm gonna email the doctor my question. for those considering HA granules, I am curious how fat injections would not rip the pocket used to place the HA

earl25

hmm only see  a book consult option no contact email

Lestat

I think he places the ha on the bone, not in a pocket.

http://www.facialsculptureclinic.com/en/surgery/jaw-surgery/cheek-bones/

Scroll down to see the picture.

earl25

I think he places the ha on the bone, not in a pocket.

http://www.facialsculptureclinic.com/en/surgery/jaw-surgery/cheek-bones/

Scroll down to see the picture.

even wit on the bone theres still some type of pocket over it. I have heard this

Lestat

even wit on the bone theres still some type of pocket over it. I have heard this

I think it is no problem. Fat injections are Rice Grain-Size fat implants. Imo they are to little to damage the pocket used to place the HA granules.

Another question: Do you think HA can damage the soft tissue due to the fact that is rough?

UKMaxfac

I'm seeing Defrancq in Belgium next month - will ask him about this.

earl25

I think it is no problem. Fat injections are Rice Grain-Size fat implants. Imo they are to little to damage the pocket used to place the HA granules.

Another question: Do you think HA can damage the soft tissue due to the fact that is rough?

the fat itself should be in an in issue but the needle or canula used  to inject would penetrate the pocket

Question 2, I have no idea. The literature doesn't  support what's said on the board regarding HA, now keep in mind that doesn't mean the people on the board are wrong (especially since some lived through it), and it doesn't mean the literature is wrong (since if this was the case on a wide spread level then it would definitely be reported) .

The best way imo to approach this question would be to first define what's considered damage to the tissue Next see what type of scan r imaging can be done to view the skin in question

to add if it's place sub periosteum then I'm not sure its actually touching the tissue. wouldn't it be wedges between bone and the periosteum

Lestat

It doesn't damage soft tissue if placed correctly in a pocket. Bad surgeons shove too much in there so it comes out or don't create good pockets in the first place.

Passed on directly from Sinn who is extraordinary experienced with HA.

Legit.
Thanks for the info.
Do you know if Dr. Sinn would use it also for jaw angle augmentation?

Lazlo

• Private
Legit.
Thanks for the info.
Do you know if Dr. Sinn would use it also for jaw angle augmentation?

Good question.

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

Most of us are not just patients or perspective patients on this site, thanks to the members that share vital information, we have become uber informed patients. Although much is still unknown to us, the knowledge that is shared on here goes well above what someone could find on a mainstream site like RealSelf. Of course, RealSelf is a business but I couldn't think of a good comparison.

After seeing everything that has been posted on here about HA and also talking to people who have actually had it on the jaw and cheeks, I think I can say that if you would not be happy with Radiesse for cheek augmentation (not saying that is the same as HA but it will give the same aesthetic result in my opinion) then how could you even contemplate HA for zygomatic arch or any part of the malar area? Fat, filler, HA, pretty much the same nondescript shape sort of results in my opinion.

I think it should be fine for a bit of brow augmentation.
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

earl25

Most of us are not just patients or perspective patients on this site, thanks to the members that share vital information, we have become uber informed patients. Although much is still unknown to us, the knowledge that is shared on here goes well above what someone could find on a mainstream site like RealSelf. Of course, RealSelf is a business but I couldn't think of a good comparison.

After seeing everything that has been posted on here about HA and also talking to people who have actually had it on the jaw and cheeks, I think I can say that if you would not be happy with Radiesse for cheek augmentation (not saying that is the same as HA but it will give the same aesthetic result in my opinion) then how could you even contemplate HA for zygomatic arch or any part of the malar area? Fat, filler, HA, pretty much the same nondescript shape sort of results in my opinion.

I think it should be fine for a bit of brow augmentation.

well dr aharonov  supposedly gets great cheek results with restylane but he uses boat loads

bigger question, can someone et cartilage if they already got HA on their cheeks or brow etc

Lord-of-the-Cartilage

well dr aharonov  supposedly gets great cheek results with restylane but he uses boat loads

bigger question, can someone et cartilage if they already got HA on their cheeks or brow etc

People can good a good amount of augmentation from restylane, I mean that the result looks like shapeless putty or like fat, in my opinion. You could never get hard, angular, contoured shapes that actually resemble bone.

I don't know about cartilage over HA, I mean technically yes you could but I suppose it might have a higher chance of resorption.
Harvest, Harvest, Wherever You May Be; I Am the Lord of the Cartilage, Said He.

earl25

then I imagine it def would resorb if placed over a metal plate

ptc

If you want cheek implants that turn into real bone and won't be brittle then wait for hyperelastic bone implants.

See this thread http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=6366.0