Author Topic: Am I a good candidate for double jaw surgery?  (Read 4657 times)

The Quest for Aesthetics

Re: Am I a good candidate for double jaw surgery?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 07:13:41 AM »
People shouldn't have said you're not a candidate for jaw surgery based on those pictures. Being told you're not eligible for jaw surgery when you're convinced that it would benefit you can be devastating. I was "gaslighted" that way by several incompetent surgeons until I saw Dr Gunson. You're definitely a candidate for double jaw surgery, but less experienced observers might not see it due to the compensations you have going on, like bad head posture and normal overjet. Your upper incisors are not only retroclined but they're very far from your upper lip, which shows your maxilla's quite recessed as well. At least that's what Dr Gunson called attention to in my case and I'm having my maxilla rotated and advanced 9 mm. Since you have the money I would recommend you look into this now rather than later. I'm only 22 but I still wish I'd fixed this problem around your age -- my confidence would have been better.

Excellent post, couldn't agree more. OP, see Dr. Gunson ASAP, if only for a consultation/opinion. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that barely any surgeons are able to accurately pick up on the external indicators of recession as fastidiously as Dr. Gunson.

Recession

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
You should've posted these in the OP. kjohnt is correct, but I don't think you look bad or "deformed". Do you have any issues besides your appearance?

Purely aesthetic concerns.

Recession

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
Very, no.  But you'd look better.  You might be able to get away with just BSSO, but I've come to the conclusion that bimax is probably the best option for most patients.  In any case, your maxillary projection looks good to me.  Possible genio, not sure, could maybe slightly lengthen both horizontally and vertically.

I said if needed, which it sounds like it isn't.  And I was pointing out that you nay be young enough that your palette hasn't fully fused so could possibly do it without SARPE and just an expander, but no matter.

I still don't know how it would be possible to get my upper incisors back into a proper position. Where the tooth comes out of the gum, my incisors properly support my upper lip; It's just the lower part of tooth that doesn't support my lips.

I've seen one case where inwards slant was corrected with braces and ceramic veneers: http://www.sparkledentalboutique.co.uk/gallery/crooked-teeth.php 12th picture from the top.

I also heard that with BSSO there is a 90% chance of developing some form of numbness (I know it's just the sensory nerve that's affected), is that true?

Recession

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »
You are a good candidate for lower jaw surgery. I feel like you could benefit from some slight maxillary CCW rotation from an aesthetic viewpoint too, but nowhere near as much as you would benefit from lower jaw surgery. You would got an aesthetically satisfactory result from lower jaw surgery, so you may want to skip upper jaw surgery if you want to reduce complication risk, prices etc.; but if I were you I would go for both.

So that would have to be Lefort I and BSSO then right? I worry that I would end up looking like a chimp because my maxillary projection isn't really bad. Also widened and more upturned nose.

Recession

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
People shouldn't have said you're not a candidate for jaw surgery based on those pictures. Being told you're not eligible for jaw surgery when you're convinced that it would benefit you can be devastating. I was "gaslighted" that way by several incompetent surgeons until I saw Dr Gunson. You're definitely a candidate for double jaw surgery, but less experienced observers might not see it due to the compensations you have going on, like bad head posture and normal overjet. Your upper incisors are not only retroclined but they're very far from your upper lip, which shows your maxilla's quite recessed as well. At least that's what Dr Gunson called attention to in my case and I'm having my maxilla rotated and advanced 9 mm. Since you have the money I would recommend you look into this now rather than later. I'm only 22 but I still wish I'd fixed this problem around your age -- my confidence would have been better.

Wow, 9mm, that's intense. Could I see your side profile pics and x-rays by any chance? nvm, checked your post history and saw your pics.

I might go consult with Arnett/Gunson in the spring.

Best of luck with your surgery, hope all goes well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:58:28 AM by Recession »

Recession

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 09:47:11 AM »
Excellent post, couldn't agree more. OP, see Dr. Gunson ASAP, if only for a consultation/opinion. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that barely any surgeons are able to accurately pick up on the external indicators of recession as fastidiously as Dr. Gunson.

I'm looking into seeing them in the spring.