Author Topic: "Step off" or noticeable ridges after lower jaw surgery  (Read 1434 times)

matilda99

"Step off" or noticeable ridges after lower jaw surgery
« on: December 16, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »
Hello. I just had lower jaw surgery a couple weeks ago.
I understand that its probably to early to tell what the exact outcome of surgery will be at this stage, but I have concerns.
I had lower jaw surgery with a genioplasty (reduction).
I noticed a "step off", bump, or ridge on both sides of my chin where the reduction/cut was made.
Its not HUGELY noticeable but I can see it. I feel as though it ages my face because as you age, your bones change. If you notice, older women seem to have a natural occurring step off in the same area. This bothers me.

I don't mean to complain because my surgeon was very understanding in listening to my concerns before surgery and I probably came off as a difficult patient due to all the questions I had. However, Id like to know if this is a cause for a revision, or not necessarily a revision, but a cause for him to go back in and sand down the noticeable step offs?

How common is this? Also, how do I go about by asking my surgeon to possibly smooth this area out (hopefully free of charge) politely without sounding like a difficult patient?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:30:58 AM by matilda99 »

CCW

Re: "Step off" or noticeable ridges after lower jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »
It's common with both of these operations unless the surgeon uses bone grafts, HA or something similar to fill in the gaps and smoothen the osteotomy sites. You should just talk to your surgeon about them and tell him they bother you. It is possible to sand them down.

matilda99

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
thank you for your reply. It is very much appreciated.
Ps, would you be able to advise me on the two other questions I had?

1. I had upper jaw surgery a couple weeks ago and noticed that one side of my molars hit 1st when I close my mouth. Also, I noticed that  my upper jaw is slightly off center. It is turned more towards the side that hits first. I don't want to complain because my healing is going well. I understand that there is a trade off with surgery. I just would like to know how normal is this type of result after jaw surgery and would this be cause for a revision? Or is this common? If it is cause for revision, is it common for insurance to cover it?

2. I had upper jaw surgery about a month ago. For the most part, Im not really numb, just a few small spots here and there. However, my pallet seems/feels like its a little intrusive. I have feeling in it but when i speak, I don't know, its hard to explain, i feel as though I'm pronouncing my words some wheat like a person who's deaf. Also, I find myself waking up when asleep but it feels as though my airway was obstructed or something. This might not be the case, could be to the pallet being a little bit numb or me just getting used to it. Anyone experience this after upper jaw surgery? Is this normal?

CCW

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
It's hard to say without seeing a picture. It could be because your upper jaw wasn't widened enough or it could be a slight cant, but it's not normal at all. Did you have an open bite before surgery? As for the midlines, that seems to be somewhat common after jaw surgery and can be corrected with elastics. You should talk to your surgeon.

Your tongue just isn't used to the new position of the jaws and needs to learn to the new spot.

matilda99

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
Thanks again for the reply. I appreciate the info

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
It's stated that your jaws are 'remodeling' themselves for quite some time after surgery. I feel like my notches were noticable at first but now I can barely feel them 6 months later. Give it some time and make sure you get plenty of calcium and vitamine d.