Author Topic: surgery first in Europe?  (Read 12118 times)

lucifa

surgery first in Europe?
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
I'm interested in the 'surgery first' way of jaw surgery.

It seems popular in South Korea, and I've heard of it being done by a surgeon in Italy.

How popular is it?
I'm in the UK.

Are there any 'surgery first' surgeons in the UK? I also imagine the prices would be cheaper in other parts of Europe.

Is there a list anywhere of the various European clinics who offer this approach?

thanks

PloskoPlus

Re: surgery first in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 04:27:53 PM »
I don't think it's a good idea. If you have crippling sleep apnea then maybe.
Anyway, Alfaro does it.

sensual_lips

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
Hi there,

I originally was going to have surgery first with Prof Sandro Pelo in Rome and actually flew out to Rome and had a consultation with him (didn't like him at all) as he offers it but after some more research and realising hes very old school and zero - aesthetic i am now going to see Prof Mirco Raffaini  who i found out from speaking with and emailing his secretary- that he also does surgery first!

Prof Mirco Raffaini is based in Parma Italy. I really liked his before and afters and the fact that his staff can speak English and always emailed within 24 hrs compared to Prof Pelo who is near impossible to communicate with! No lie, i actually had to pay an Italian interpreter to call his clinic and organise my consultation, it was a nightmare. When i called Prof Raffaini's clinic i spoke with his staff and they spoke English. and were very helpful. His secretary Elisa said the doctor speaks very good English!

I live i London, there are no surgery first doctors here or in the USA and plus i would not go near a UK surgeon for jaw surgery, seriously old school and no aesthetics...they lack talent in my opinion.

Take Care x

lucifa

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 02:01:55 PM »
Are you likely going to have surgery with him?

Do you have an idea of how much this procedure might cost?

I was quoted such a high price for braces yesterday that I could just about get surgery in South Korea for the money they wanted!
But would obviously rather somewhere closer to home!

I have a fairly deep bite. It's something that isn't bad enough to warrant surgery on the NHS, although the ortho I saw (who is also a surgeon) admitted that even though my case could be fixed with braces, I do have a small, recessed lower jaw and I would benefit from surgery not only in terms of function, but in terms of aesthetics.

lucifa

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »
I've wrote to him but yet to receiver a reply (unsurprisingly since it's Christmas!)

But from digging around, it looks like i'd be looking at maybe 15k GBP? Probably cheaper than some, but man, it's just so much money!! :(

I'm contemplating a nose job intitially to see if that gives some more balance to my face. I can get that done in Poland for not much more than 1.5k!

I have a big nose, but I think it looks a lot bigger than it is due to my recessed jaws. When I pull my upper lips forward with my fingers, my nose drastically seems to shrink.

Maybe a nosejob and a very small chin implant can give me an aesthetic improvement until I maybe come into some money at some point when i'll be able to afford surgeryfirst jaw surgery!?

UKMaxfac

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »
I don't think it's a good idea. If you have crippling sleep apnea then maybe.
Anyway, Alfaro does it.

Why not?

lucifa

MrFox

lucifa

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:46:24 AM »
It says
 ''Orthognathic Surgery
Segmental osteotomies of the maxilla, Mandibular set-back, maxillary advancement, genioplasty, bimaxillary surgery...£1277  -  £4258''

Not in the UK, though. In Serbia.

UK costs about 20k.

That seems so cheap, though! I hope i'm reading that right, as it would make jaw surgery a possibility for me! I can get that sort of money

lucifa

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
Altough I doubt he offers the 'surgery first' approach  :-\

lucifa

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 03:03:57 AM »
Raffaini got back to me. It seems prices START at 15k euros. I can't afford that.

Really need to find a 'surgery first' surgeon in Serbia or somewhere where I can pay less than 6k, ideally

MrFox

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 07:27:38 AM »

UK costs about 20k.

Who charges that in the UK?

lucifa

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 05:58:27 AM »
I think a fair few do?

However, I must confess that i'm talking about the price of braces, too. I think that helitois guy quoted me 6k for braces and 14k for surgery, so 20k overall.

Either way, still way too much. I can really only afford like 7k all-in, max, and hoping to find a 'surgery first' surgeon in some cheaper country who can do it for me.

I'm still sending various emails to see if I get lucky!

sensual_lips

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
Firstly HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017, MAY ALL OUR JAW DREAMS COME TRUE!  ;)

Ok. Soooooooooooo this is to Lucifa and all in this comment section and beyond. I just want to let ya'll all  in on something...
"MEDICAL INSURANCE COVERAGE"!!!! It works, trust me, i did it once and i'll do it again! Had a sliding genioplasty with Dr Henri Thau 10 years ago and at the time i was with Norwich Union Medical Insurance and YES they covered the whole damn thang!

I can't believe none of you guys are talking about this. Ok so as of right now i have private medical insurance coverage from BUPA UK and i opened this policy in November 2016 and chose the policy that offers European cover so that if i was to have surgery with Prof Raffaini -  (wink wink shhh) :) It would be covered, but you can also choose worldwide cover. It can be pricey tho, my policy costs around £220 per month but i have a plan set in stone lol so won't be paying out £220 every months very very soon like this week soon! I'll be making my jaw surgery claim this week with my BUPA Insurance Company as i didn't want to make it too obvious and literally claim 2 weeks after opening the policy as that would look super shady and fraudulent and they may of said NO! Sooooo using my big brain lol i decided to make this very important life changing claim in New Year 2017 and start the year off with what could be a really really good bang!!!  -
(no pun intended, i think?;D )

I did some major research and actually called up Bupa medical insurance company before i opened my policy - as a fake name and home address LOL (they are ruthless and record all calls so i had to fake it to get info on certain things) you can't ask them that stuff when you open up your own policy or they may work out you are playing them or have a pre existing medical condition which all insurance companies will rarely cover. I asked questions in regard to jaw surgery and the braces/orthodontic treatment connected to it and they said they would cover the surgery but not necessarily the braces.

Please like seriously open up a medical insurance policy and then give it a few or more weeks then make a claim for jaw surgery with your chosen doctor. Just remember that if you have already been to see your own GP (general practitioner) about your issues with your jaw etc then it will be harder to then try open a medical insurance policy up and try get cover as then your claim will be deemed - pre existing condition  which you had before you opened your policy (catch my drift?) ;) They can ask your GP for your medical history etc or if the GP has seen you in regards to jaw surgery issues. Theses are the questions the medical insurer will ask your GP when you make you claim so "BE AWARE"

As i said i had a sliding Genioplasty surgery which cost £6000 in the UK 10 years ago covered by my medical insurer so it can be done!
I pay £220 per months and if my insurer agrees to cover my surgery claim i will be saving around £15,000-£20,000!!! i=I opened the insurance policy 2 months ago so you do the math. Can't compare the two. Seriously go open a medical policy wherever you are. If your in the UK trust me BUPA Medical Insurance is the best. I did a few months of calling up and researching different policies/companies and it was the best especially for the fact i will be going to Italy and having the surgery first operation with Prof Mirco Raffaini. Oh yea and don't really contact and never book the consultation with your chosen jaw surgery doctor until you have made your medical insurance claim first and got the go ahead that you will be covered for jaw surgery.

Good Luck x

UKMaxfac

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »
I think a fair few do?

However, I must confess that i'm talking about the price of braces, too. I think that helitois guy quoted me 6k for braces and 14k for surgery, so 20k overall.

Either way, still way too much. I can really only afford like 7k all-in, max, and hoping to find a 'surgery first' surgeon in some cheaper country who can do it for me.

I'm still sending various emails to see if I get lucky!

in the uk and on the continent prices dont seem to vary. I've had quotes from the following: -
- Paul Johnson
- Ken Sneddon
- Piet Haers
- Alfaro
- Zarrinbal
- Joel Defrancq

They are all pretty much the same. In simple terms, each part of the proceedure is about £4500
Lefort 1 is 4500, genioplasty is 4500 etc. Braces for me for a total of 6-8 months (pre AND post OP) with an orthodontist in London would be £4.5k as well.

There is no getting around it. If you have a small budget then jaw surgery shouldn't even be a consideration.