Author Topic: Photos/Video of Bilateral Sagittal Split and Leforte I Osteotomies [GRAPHIC]  (Read 6907 times)

stevek216

These are actual surgical videos and pictures, they are pretty graphic and not for the faint of heart BUT for somebody really interested in how this is done, these should help.

To give you an idea of what's in them, so you can sort of test the waters before you actually click, I'll give a brief description.

Here's the Leforte I, in pictures.  They cover all but the mouth of this person's face.  Each step is described in medical terms and is accompanied by an image.  If you click on the link you will see about three of them immediately, depending on your resolution.  Only the third contains a surgical cut, so you won't be confronted with anything terrifying if you click, and you might be able to decide if you can stomach the rest.
http://faciomaxillary.tripod.com/lefort.htm

Here's the BSSO, this time a video.  It is 8 and a half minutes long, it does not start playing until you click the play button, and the placeholder image is not very graphic (the incision is covered by the play button).  This can probably be safely clicked by most, then it's up to you if you press play.  They do keep things tidy, they have a suction thing for blood so it's not as gory as one might think.  Most American teenagers who own a game console should be inured enough to watch without issue.  And I'm only half joking, games are scary nowadays.
http://oral-maxillofacial.blogspot.com/2008/04/bssobilateral-sagittal-split-osteotomy.html

Enjoy, I know it's a little gross/scary to watch but this should satiate anyone's curiosity!

**Edit

Streo was nice enough to post some more links to videos near the bottom of the page, thanks Streo!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:30:40 AM by stevek216 »

neferkitti

• Private
Thanks for posting. The BSSO seems so much more tame compared to the Le Fort. There seems to be less tissue trauma. Did you watch videos like these pre-surgery?

Marisama

• Private
I don't dare look either.  Ignorance is bliss.

neferkitti

• Private
Neferkitti, I watched them post op.  I wasn't sure I wanted to know EXACTLY what they were going to do to me before I went in.  I figured it was best to go with my pre-existing expectation - I get put under, the doctor presses a giant red button, my jaws move magically and my face poofs up, cartoon style.  I wasn't too far off :P

Lol! Yeah, I looked like Sponge Bob. Not a good look. That only lasted 4-5 days, though. You know, it never occurred to me to watch surgery videos beforehand. It's definitely easier after the fact. Probably not for the pre-surgery crowd. Like Ryan said up-thread, ignorance is bliss.

One day you guys will feel particularly adventurous and tackle these, I know you will! 
Ha! I suspect they will, if they haven't done so already.

hara.v

I really want to watch them but Im afraid I'll call my surgeon straight away to cancel! hahaha

neferkitti

• Private
I really want to watch them but Im afraid I'll call my surgeon straight away to cancel! hahaha

If you're the least bit unsure about surgery, it's best to wait until afterwards. Better to go with Steve's big red button  :).

stevek216

Hahahaha ^^

Cmonster

• Private
Oh GOD WHY DID I WATCH THAT ..... :o :'(
You must really trust someone to do that kind of damage to you....
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

streo

Wow, I guess I'm the only one that is absolutely FASCINATED by the whole process.  I can't seem to get enough of these videos because it illustrates that whatever the surgeon is trying to accomplish is actually doable (or more importantly, it's not impossible).  There are some other videos showing how they do an implant while repositioning the lower IAN out of the way - that was pretty strange as the patient was under sedation and responding to the surgeons while they were pulling at the nerve in her lower jaw.

Btw, it took me about 2 years to even admit to myself that I would need this surgery, and then a year of slowly desensitizing myself to the whole process to be actually comfortable going forward with this thing.  Before that, the slightest hint of blood would send me running for the hills!

Some more videos:

Bi-max surgery (with some cool music on top of it):
http://youtu.be/xTpllmuKmSE

Nerve repositioning:
http://youtu.be/yjZu319B_Lk

Genioplasty:
http://youtu.be/MTACRdBiSu4

neferkitti

• Private
Thanks for the video links, streo. I have only watched the genio clip so far. I would really like to see how they reattach that muscle that was cut away. If I find one, I'll post here.

stevek216

Hey Streo, would you mind if I edited the original posts to include your links so that they're all in one place?

Heavyweight

Orthognathic surgery has always struck me as rather crude. I'm always amazed that surgeons can reposition the bones down to millimeters.