Author Topic: Assessment of soft tissue changes following maxomandibular advancement  (Read 8627 times)

pekay

abnormal vertical growth is generally unpredictable, that is why it's important to spot it and address it ASAP

it can happen exclusively to the maxilla (George Clooney guy that I linked, all those Richard Joseph patients, etc.) or to the entire mid-face: vertically long face with low set cheek-bones. the former is an easy fix, the latter? not so much

i'm of course speaking from what I've observed, don't think I have read anything official on all this.

Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
abnormal vertical growth is generally unpredictable, that is why it's important to spot it and address it ASAP

it can happen exclusively to the maxilla (George Clooney guy that I linked, all those Richard Joseph patients, etc.) or to the entire mid-face: vertically long face with low set cheek-bones. the former is an easy fix, the latter? not so much

i'm of course speaking from what I've observed, don't think I have read anything official on all this.

You forgot the third group; those who didn't grow too long vertically but failed to grow forward

pekay

You forgot the third group; those who didn't grow too long vertically but failed to grow forward

there is probably all sorts of groups that we are unaware of :)

I've seen just about everything at the other forum where I post at even guys & girls with crouzon that had double jaw surgery + Le Fort III

it's a massive community with over 2000 members, all sorts of jaw surgery cases there

Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private

man don't remind me of this. too depressing. cant believe this could have been treated and i never would have needed a decade of braces and surgery. it's too bad surgeons and orthos, for now, don't seem particularly interested in finding answers and solutions to these questions.

well there is no actual groups since abnormal growth is just chaos. that's why it is difficult to diagnose because there is no real standard example...just characteristics.

x

• Private
man don't remind me of this. too depressing. cant believe this could have been treated and i never would have needed a decade of braces and surgery. it's too bad surgeons and orthos, for now, don't seem particularly interested in finding answers and solutions to these questions.

I don't know why you guys keep bringing it up, we all know its the case but who cares? nothing can be done about it at this point

also normal vertical growth but lacking horizontal puts me pretty squarely in the class iii group, but beyond that I agree it's useless to try and classify

CK

• Private
I don't know why you guys keep bringing it up, we all know its the case but who cares? nothing can be done about it at this point

also normal vertical growth but lacking horizontal puts me pretty squarely in the class iii group, but beyond that I agree it's useless to try and classify

normal vertical growth?

perfect occlusion and proper jaw alignment does not always make you attractive

yea generally (not always) someone attractive will have proper jaw alignment and perfect occlusion. creating a perfect occlusion and jaw alignment isnt going to make someone attractive unless that is the only issue holding them back. in fact often times aesthetics may be sacrificed if not sabotaged to create a "perfect" occlusion. too bad most patients dont learn this until after braces

x

• Private
normal vertical growth?

yea generally (not always) someone attractive will have proper jaw alignment and perfect occlusion. creating a perfect occlusion and jaw alignment isnt going to make someone attractive unless that is the only issue holding them back. in fact often times aesthetics may be sacrificed if not sabotaged to create a "perfect" occlusion. too bad most patients dont learn this until after braces

as in no gummy smile, overexposed upper incisors, high arched palate, etc

x

• Private
Brazil

I've come across 5 females exactly like that and let's just say that they all look "different" post-op

can you share their results or did they share them privately?

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Please do.

even if my hit is "f**k the orbital rim", i'm worried.

ExtractionsRuinFaces

did Ryan and tree have gummy smiles and abnormally long maxillas?

Perhaps it has to do with vertical maxillary excess. When your upper jaw grows too vertically, it brings the other facial bones with it, elongating them vertically. I think this can be distinguished from a maxilla that simply was underdeveloped in its horizontal projection

Any way to check for a long maxilla/too much vertical growth?

x

• Private
Any way to check for a long maxilla/too much vertical growth?
from soft tissue standpoint, open bite, gummy smile, and lip incompetence are indicative

on an x-ray, steep occlusal plane and steep mandibles